REMOVED

has anyone had a problem with free shipping from REMOVED where they had to pay for frate when you thought it was free shipping

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: REMOVED

Given that the seller has a store and has been trading for possibly 9 1/2 years maybe it's a case of misinformed misinformation by said seller.

Spoiler
..............if there is such a beast Digi................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

Given that the seller has a store and has been trading for possibly 9 1/2 years maybe it's a case of misinformed misinformation by said seller.

Spoiler
..............if there is such a beast Digi................

I ask myself a couple of things when I look at a listing like this...

Let's say there is a glitch that is affecting only some sellers that means rate tables are off the... well, table. 

What's a conscientious seller to do?

They could list with freight as the postage option - less than ideal for the seller, as it means much less visibility and more work when an item does sell. 

Ok, so they go with listing it "free post", how to make sure customers understand it's only to selected areas and ensure there's no confusion, or at the very least, minimise the potential for confusion as much as possible?

A subtitle would be a good option - it's right there in search results so buyers can be aware going in that postage may not be free for them.

But, subtitles cost like $1.50 a month per listing - who wants to spend that kind of $$$$ (I'm being a little facetious, but I concede those fees can rack up - however, if there really is a glitch, maybe they can talk eBay into comping subtitles until it's fixed Smiley Very Happy ).

Let's rule out subtitles as being too expensive - how about image banners? I don't like 'em that much, but will use 'em if necessary - maybe the seller has a stronger aversion to gallery image graffiti than I do... Oh... Nope, lots of images with banners, plenty with "free delivery" too, with no sign of any caveats. Hmm 

eyebrow

Next best thing, put the information front and centre in all affected listings. Ok, looking at one of their listings now... jeez - where even is the front and centre, it's an epic scroll of large images and conflicting information all over the place. Several where that screen grab is nowhere in sight, but fine print down the bottom of massive images makes allusion to it.  So, yeah, it's there, but not always and not always easy to find - why not have it at the top, and also have major states / cities on the big table and putting "quote supplied on request" or "delivery not available" or similar there. 

The info doesn't seem to be the priority for the seller, the free post bit does, so it comes across a bit CYA to me, rather than a dedicated effort to inform buyers. 

I'm perhaps deducing (and theorising) quite a bit (too much?) from a couple of things, but the seller is clearly happy to take full advantage of listing with free post, but apparently not happy to compromise the initial appeal of the listing for those who will need to pay freight. 

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

It sounds to me like they want to avoid paying ebay fees on the postage/freight component. I'm pretty sure it'd be against ebay's rules to say a separate invoice will be sent through paypal AFTER the sale.
Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

The postage info is also an image, which again is (at least arguably) against eBay policy (in that a seller's TOS needs to be written text in the description field, in contrasting, easy to read font size / colours - having it as an image means the TOS can be changed without revising the listing, hence why it's against eBay policy, and I think important postage information counts as TOS).

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply