Returning item and RA number deadline imposed by seller

Hello, it's me again.

I'm returning an item that was described as brand new but came in opened box with scratches so Item not as Described. I've started a Ebay return case. The seller has given me an RA number for the return but says that if the item doesn't make it back within ten days of the number being issued the RA number is invalid and I have to file another case. Now normaly Auspost would get it there on time but obviously I have no control over the postage so I really think this RA number deadline thing is a bit unfair. What should I do? Should I just escalate the case and involve Ebay?

Also the seller hasn't provided a return label for the item and looks like they want me to pay to return it.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Speaking as a seller - you can ignore this "condition". 🙂

It doesn't matter what they tell you, the eBay process is what it is, and the seller can't impose other conditions - it just won't work.

When you open a request, you get 30 days to escalate it to a claim - the seller's "10 day time limit" is nothing but a ruse (especially as the case won't close in ten days, unless you close it, or they do by issuing a refund, and because a case can not be reopened once it is closed). A case will only "time out" after those 30 days.

Once tracking indicates the seller has received the parcel, they have 3 days to issue the refund.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You have 30 days after the last ETA of the item to open an MBG case with eBay which it sounds like you have already done.

If so and the seller is playing hard-ball then escalate and let eBay make the decision on the problem. What the seller is telling you is probably lies, but I have no idea what an RA number is.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Yeah. From past experience its a RMA number and that sort of thing is given out if there is a technical problem with the item only but I've never seen one issued with a deadline before. It's ok I just sent seller another message saying what I wanted (no RA number with an expiry) and them to issue a label, else I'll escalate the claim. I just really surprising that sellers will send out and admit they they have sent out a used item and then play games like 'if it doesn't make it back within ten days from this very date your return will be invalid'. 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Another question, as I've never escalated a dispute before.

The seller already has feedback left from someone who returned an item and never got a refund. 

If I escalate the claim will it stay escalated until the whole process of the return and refund is finished? Or will Ebay just step in to arrange the return or what?

Question is asked because I don't want to escalate now and not be able to escalate later when seller doesn't refund me the item.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

@jd20005 wrote:

If I escalate the claim will it stay escalated until the whole process of the return and refund is finished? Or will Ebay just step in to arrange the return or what?

I haven't escalated a dispute for a long time, but from what I remember you can only close the dispute with the MBG, so yes it should stay open until eBay has finalised a decision. But definately push for a return postage label, without that the seller will drag their feet on refunding you. Bear in mind if you close a dispute you cannot reopen it.

It would be a good idea to get on AP's site and calculate the return postage yourself and send a screenshot of that to the seller.

I'm assuming the seller is in Oz, if they're not they can't send a postage label to you.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

If there is any danger of the seller not issuing the refund I would escalate now and let ebay deal with it.   As long as you send the item back with tracking they can issue the refund without the seller being involved.   If you wait too long the claim will time out and you will not be able to escalate at all.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Speaking as a seller - you can ignore this "condition". 🙂

It doesn't matter what they tell you, the eBay process is what it is, and the seller can't impose other conditions - it just won't work.

When you open a request, you get 30 days to escalate it to a claim - the seller's "10 day time limit" is nothing but a ruse (especially as the case won't close in ten days, unless you close it, or they do by issuing a refund, and because a case can not be reopened once it is closed). A case will only "time out" after those 30 days.

Once tracking indicates the seller has received the parcel, they have 3 days to issue the refund.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Yes, as digital*ghost said. As soon as I read your post I knew they were just bluffing.

RA could stand for Return Authority (or authorisation). It's irrelevant if you buy off ebay and the item isn't described correctly.
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply