Scam / Ebay let it happen and has affected at least 50 buyer already

Spoiler

I received a Fake Microphone from this <removed> seller. in December 2017. I reported it to eBay after noticing a few other buyers had also received fakes. eBay failed to do anything about it. I recently checked back on this seller February 2018 to see if he was still selling fakes. I discovered he now has around 50 consecutive negative feedbacks meaning that he has scammed 50 more since me. Had eBay done anything about this when I reported it, these people would have been saved pain and inconvenience.

This exposes a massive issue in eBay's security and investigation sections. I can't believe eBay will let a seller like this trade. What is being done about this?

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

No listings up, eBay may have shut his selling down due to the negs.

image host
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

I noticed that also. Or he has done a runner with everyone's money because eBay failed to act.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

The feedback is even worse than it appears at first glance - if you look closely, you'll see quite a few nit-wits who've left a negative comment, but a positive rating.

Guy who the company I work for dealt with had a huge eBay store; he was pretty close to being our largest real-world customer, most of the stuff he purchased from us was sold on his eBay store. Not at all unusual for him to purchase $10K a month of stock from us.

He went belly-up virtually overnight - shut down for Xmas in 2016, and never reappeared. Before eBay deleted his account, his last hundred or so feedbacks were negative, "Item not received", just like the seller in the OP.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Saturday afternoon, up to 103 negs now. The sad thing is, some of the buyers are low feedback so probably don't know they can get their money back. They think they've lost everything and been totally scammed.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

what a world we live in when so many people can't even select the correct feedback to leave. the amount of negative comments on positive feedback is astounding! 

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

I noticed that too. I think Tippy is right. If a newbie can't even work out how feedback works, they'll probably have trouble  applying for their money back, if they even know they can.

You'd think if a seller received a certain % of negs on their sales in a short time-say, over a month or two-that the ebay system could pick it up & either suspend selling or put the seller back to square 1, where sales funds are held for 21 days.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

very true springy. it also raises the question why the "top-rated seller" status is only assessed once a month and doesn't happen in real time... as the seller still shows as being a "top-rated seller" despite having feedback of 88% positive.. 

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

That's a good point.

I was under the impression that a lot of ebay responses these days are automated. That's fair enough, but you'd think some of these features could easily be computer generated too, or at least throw up computer warnings. 

I understand that ebay probably likes to be able to label a seller as top rated as they would think it could boost buyer confidence but it's going to do the exact opposite if any buyer with the slightest clue sees top rated applied to a seller then sees that amount of neg feedback & not just over the last day or so either.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@aaronstringmanwrote:

This exposes a massive issue in eBay's security and investigation sections. I can't believe eBay will let a seller like this trade. What is being done about this?

As others have stated they have stopped listing items but they have received more negs,(105 this month).

I reported it via Live Chat and as eBay have made things more difficult to try and report sellers,(they have

removed the Report seller option) they suggested that all reports should go through Live Chat as they can

escalate it quicker to have someone look at it,good.gif

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply