Seller charging excess postage since I can't pick up

Hi all,

I have spotted some cushions I like with a starting bid of $20 and pick up only. I messaged the seller to see if they would consider posting just the covers as they are not close by and he said he would post the covers for $50 in total. Is he allowed to do this? If I bid on them and win them for $20 then that is $30 postage ( just for the covers mind you, NOT the inners)! 

I know I don't have to agree and he doesn't have to post them but feel he may be a little unfair and trying to make extra money from my disadvantage of being unable to pick up?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

You asked a question that he answered and it is not your choice to either but or not.

Yes it is excessive and maybe it is because he does not want to post.

It could be seller is in a remote area and a trip to the PO is a long way.

In the end it is your choice to buy or not to buy.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Many people would put an outrageous postage price ona pick up item when it is a real hassle to post (posting can be a big hassle for some people) and they either want to disuade the buyer or at least make the hassle worth while.

They obviously don't want to post so you should maybe just accept their position and look for a seller that does post. 

Latest reply

As suggested,perhaps the SELLER is at a disadvantage of being many many miles (km, if you prefer) from the PO

It is a possibility 

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

You asked a question that he answered and it is not  now your choice to either but  buy or not.

Sorry bout that 😞

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

It is also like sellers have to meet certain criteria to place well in best match searches and one of those is offering express post.

So a seller might put $100 for express post to meet the requirements for a higher ranking in the searches BUT the seller is outside the express area so it is offered to help increase sales and it is then the buyers choice to pay that and should not question it when they knew before buying the costs involved 

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Seller also has to cough up 11% eBay fees plus PayPal fees on top for the postage amount too.
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@shonalexi wrote:

If I bid on them and win them for $20 then that is $30 postage

What if the covers hit $60? (It might not be likely, but it's always a possibility). You're missing that the seller didn't provide a postage quote, they provided an all-inclusive quote, and didn't tell you how much was in column A and how much is in column B. They may well invoice with $30 for postage at auction end if it doesn't get another bid, but they also may have meant they'll change from a pick-up only auction to a buy it now listing, $50 postage included, thus eliminating the auction process. 

The seller listed the items at auction, providing the opportunity for the price to go above $20 (most people list auctions at their lowest acceptable price, then hope for higher). A potential buyer messages and asks for a service not offered (and when I say service, I'm not just talking about Australia Post's delivery service, I'm talking about the process of acquiring appropriate packaging, packing the item(s) and getting packages into the hands of Australia Post, all of these things are done in additiona to just handing money over to Aus Post for postage costs..., anyway, back to my point...), so the seller thinks about it  then decided what the entire thing was worth to them, to provide the covers and the postage. 

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

There is a regular member on these forums who makes and sells cushion covers.....AND she posts anywhere in Australia. She even combines postage. Why not have a look what she's got, you might find something you like, plus you know for sure they'll be posted at an acceptable rate.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

What many buyers forget is that a sellers time is worth money to them. If they have to pack the item, drive to the PO in their lunch break, stand in line for 10 minutes, spend a few more minutes at the counter, drive back to work etc. it could take up their entire lunch break. Plus the cost of actually posting the item. If that was the case I think you are getting a bargain if they are only charging you $30.

I happen to look forward to my lunch break, and wouldnt sell it for maybe $20, plus the actual postage cost.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply