Seller sold me item; then would only accept Direct Deposit; I paid; nothing sent; can't dispute?

Hi all,

Long  time seller and buyer but first time on the boards. 🙂

I won an auction for an item on the 30th May. I paid for the item via Paypal immediately, but the following day the money was refunded. I contacted the seller and he informed me he prefered Direct Deposit (which he did not state in the listing). So, I paid via Direct Deposit. 2 weeks later and I have received nothing, and when questioned the seller responds with "Sorry. My wife is sick. Will send ASAP". But I have received nothing. 

So, I tried opening some kind of Ebay dispute. But through MyEbay, using the option to report that "I didn't receive (the item)", all that results is a page stating:

"PayPal reports that a case shouldn't be opened: We're sorry there's an issue with this purchase. Unfortunately, PayPal reports that we can't open a case for this item. You can try to work out this problem by contacting the seller".

Obviously, I can't go through Paypal as the payment was refunded. I have all the Direct Deposit details for my payment, but where can I launch a dispute via Ebay? Could anyone provide a link? 

Thanks so much for any help. 🙂

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Seller sold me item; then would only accept Direct Deposit; I paid; nothing sent; can't dispute?

https://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/methods.html#unsafe

If you paid by credit card you may be able to do a chargeback via your bank

Message 2 of 47
Latest reply

Thanks for the reply. 🙂

Unfortunately it was a straight Direct Deposit from savings to the seller's account. We do share the same bank, so maybe they can help...

Message 3 of 47
Latest reply

It is doubtful that the bank can do anything but it won't hurt to try....I hope it was not too much money.

You can also report them to ACORN.....and tell them you are going to do so.   Give them a day or so before actually doing so....it may prompt them to actually send the item if they do not want a ciminal record.

Message 4 of 47
Latest reply

Talk directly to the fraud department of your bank.  Without any other information to go on, this screams "scam" to be me.

Also, you have the option to request the seller's details from eBay (but be aware if you do this, eBay also sends them yours) - see here - I'd be doing this and then letting the seller know their local police deparment will be getting a call about the matter shortly.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 5 of 47
Latest reply

I would be repporing them to ebay also as its against policy to do what they did. They cant refund and say they only take direct deposit. They HAVE to offer either paypal or there own merchant service.

Message 6 of 47
Latest reply

Yes, they have to offer Paypal.

Doesn't mean they have to use it

Not against policy, sorry

https://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

Message 7 of 47
Latest reply

Thanks for the replies everyone. 🙂

I just can't seem to find any option to contact Ebay about this - because it doesn't involve Paypal. When I try to follow the prompts for "I did not receive item", it just leads me to the same page which states: 

"PayPal reports that a case shouldn't be opened

We're sorry there's an issue with this purchase. Unfortunately, PayPal reports that we can't open a case for this item. You can try to work out this problem by contacting the seller". 

Does anyone know where can I obtain help from Ebay in this scenario - i.e. when Direct Deposit was used to pay for an item, not Paypal? Any link I can access?

Otherwise, it is absolutely criminal that Ebay, although permitting Direct Deposit (and allowing for it as part of the app when one is listing an item for sale) won't assist with any issues that arise from the use of it. 

Message 8 of 47
Latest reply

But is a seller permitted to offer Paypal, receive funds in payment for item, refund said funds and then demand only Direct Deposit? 

That is, of course, only one issue with this transaction (the bigger one for me being not receiving the item but not having any recourse to pursue this seller due to using Direct Deposit).

Message 9 of 47
Latest reply

@2minute2 wrote:

Thanks for the replies everyone. 🙂

I just can't seem to find any option to contact Ebay about this - because it doesn't involve Paypal. When I try to follow the prompts for "I did not receive item", it just leads me to the same page which states: 

"PayPal reports that a case shouldn't be opened

We're sorry there's an issue with this purchase. Unfortunately, PayPal reports that we can't open a case for this item. You can try to work out this problem by contacting the seller". 

Does anyone know where can I obtain help from Ebay in this scenario - i.e. when Direct Deposit was used to pay for an item, not Paypal? Any link I can access?

Otherwise, it is absolutely criminal that Ebay, although permitting Direct Deposit (and allowing for it as part of the app when one is listing an item for sale) won't assist with any issues that arise from the use of it. 

You can't get any help from eBay as you did not use a 'safe' payment method. Regardless of the seller refusing to accept the Paypal payment. In hindsight, you should have looked elsewhere when your PP payment was refunded.

Your choices are the bank or ACORN, as previously stated.

Message 10 of 47
Latest reply