Seller sold me item; then would only accept Direct Deposit; I paid; nothing sent; can't dispute?

Hi all,

Long  time seller and buyer but first time on the boards. 🙂

I won an auction for an item on the 30th May. I paid for the item via Paypal immediately, but the following day the money was refunded. I contacted the seller and he informed me he prefered Direct Deposit (which he did not state in the listing). So, I paid via Direct Deposit. 2 weeks later and I have received nothing, and when questioned the seller responds with "Sorry. My wife is sick. Will send ASAP". But I have received nothing. 

So, I tried opening some kind of Ebay dispute. But through MyEbay, using the option to report that "I didn't receive (the item)", all that results is a page stating:

"PayPal reports that a case shouldn't be opened: We're sorry there's an issue with this purchase. Unfortunately, PayPal reports that we can't open a case for this item. You can try to work out this problem by contacting the seller".

Obviously, I can't go through Paypal as the payment was refunded. I have all the Direct Deposit details for my payment, but where can I launch a dispute via Ebay? Could anyone provide a link? 

Thanks so much for any help. 🙂

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Seller sold me item; then would only accept Direct Deposit; I paid; nothing sent; can't dispute?

But is a seller permitted to offer Paypal, receive funds in payment for item, refund said funds and then demand only Direct Deposit? 

Indeed, looking at Ebay's 'Accepted Payment's Policy', it states: 

Not allowed: Discouraging buyers from using any payment method the seller specified in the listing. (These rules apply to all transaction-related correspondence between a seller and buyer as well as the listings.)

So the seller is in breach of this policy to begin with. 

Of course, that's only one issue with this transaction (the bigger one for me being not receiving the item but not having any recourse to pursue this seller due to using Direct Deposit).

Message 11 of 47
Latest reply

What Dave is actually saying is.....there's no protection for bank deposit.

When your payment was refunded, you should have bought elsewhere

Message 12 of 47
Latest reply

Yeah, unfortunately I realise that. I guess all that's left to me is threats (!), super negative FB and trying to get the bank involved...

Thanks anyway. 😞

Message 13 of 47
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Yes, they have to offer Paypal.

Doesn't mean they have to use it

Not against policy, sorry

https://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

If it is offered, it must be accepted - from the same policy page:

This means that sellers must always accept payment from buyers through the payment methods they have selected in their Payment Details section of their listing and must not act in any way to discourage buyers from paying by these methods.

Whether eBay will actually do anything about this kind of policy breach, is unknown, and if they do anything, it is not likely to result in getting the item sent or refunded.

I would advise the seller that you will be reporting the matter to ACORN, let them know that this is a federal agency that deals with online fraud, and that this can result in police investigation / criminal prosecution - because they gave you bank account information, that makes them much easier for the police to trace, which is good. 

Message 14 of 47
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:

Talk directly to the fraud department of your bank.  Without any other information to go on, this screams "scam" to be me.

Also, you have the option to request the seller's details from eBay (but be aware if you do this, eBay also sends them yours) - see here - I'd be doing this and then letting the seller know their local police deparment will be getting a call about the matter shortly.

The scammer seller already has the OP's details, so there is no problem requesting the sellers details. All they get is a name and phone number.

Message 15 of 47
Latest reply

Fair enough. I try to avoid letting others getting hold of my phone number, and all senders get is my PO Box address - I forget others have things sent to where they live! 😄

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 16 of 47
Latest reply

Unfortunately, you have very little recourse as you paid via bank deposit.... but as you said you are a long time buyer and seller, you should have already known that.

I'm curoius though, what is your sellers feedback like?

Occassionally, life happens, and ebay has to take a back seat for a week or two until life gets sorted again.

I'd get your sellers details, give them a friendly call, mention that you have been very patient, but now its taking its toll and its time they posted you your item...pronto.

Otherwise, you will have no option but to report them and their details to ACORN, the bank, the police, anyone who will listen.

Ebay wont listen.... sorry.

Good luck

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 17 of 47
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:

Fair enough. I try to avoid letting others getting hold of my phone number, and all senders get is my PO Box address - I forget others have things sent to where they live! 😄

If eBay has your phone number, sellers can see it if they look at the sold listing on the app.

Message 18 of 47
Latest reply

Sshhh....not need to go telling everyone!

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 19 of 47
Latest reply

You can't open an eBay or Paypal dispute for this item as you paid via direct debit which is not covered for disputes. Unfortunately you will just have to hope that this seller sends the item you paid for.

You could email then again and advise that if you do not receive a tracking number and the item within xx days, you wil report them to ACORN for fraud. That might just give him the kick up the behind he needs.

Message 20 of 47
Latest reply