Seller sold me item; then would only accept Direct Deposit; I paid; nothing sent; can't dispute?

Hi all,

Long  time seller and buyer but first time on the boards. 🙂

I won an auction for an item on the 30th May. I paid for the item via Paypal immediately, but the following day the money was refunded. I contacted the seller and he informed me he prefered Direct Deposit (which he did not state in the listing). So, I paid via Direct Deposit. 2 weeks later and I have received nothing, and when questioned the seller responds with "Sorry. My wife is sick. Will send ASAP". But I have received nothing. 

So, I tried opening some kind of Ebay dispute. But through MyEbay, using the option to report that "I didn't receive (the item)", all that results is a page stating:

"PayPal reports that a case shouldn't be opened: We're sorry there's an issue with this purchase. Unfortunately, PayPal reports that we can't open a case for this item. You can try to work out this problem by contacting the seller".

Obviously, I can't go through Paypal as the payment was refunded. I have all the Direct Deposit details for my payment, but where can I launch a dispute via Ebay? Could anyone provide a link? 

Thanks so much for any help. 🙂

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Seller sold me item; then would only accept Direct Deposit; I paid; nothing sent; can't dispute?

I had also made a direct deposit , but to (noosaaaa),His name is Dennis Bradley ,from Dennis Bradley Photography in Ellenbrook,outside of Perth WAHe complained about the PayPal Fees and how long they hold his money.I felt sorry for the guy and paid him $2115.He had since cancelled the transaction to also save ebay fees and that's when i knew i was in trouble.Your only option is a small claims court or a debt collection agency.If you go to the police they will not get involved and tell you that it is a civil matter.Ebay  will not help at all.I have rang for the fourth time today and i cannot believe his account is still active.I asked the ebay operator on the phone,where on Ebay does it state that i am not protected by paying by direct deposit?..........The whole thing is so wrong..Ebay should have still gotten a cut from the sale and offer no help at all.                                                                                                                                                  Good luck,wish you all the best..Regards Richy Norman.

Message 21 of 47
Latest reply

Lesson learned the hard way.

But you can still report him for cyber theft to ACORN (Australian Cybercrime Online Reporting Network)

https://report.acorn.gov.au/

edit:  Just looked at the transaction.  It was for a pick up.  Why would you do a bank payment for a pick up?

Message 22 of 47
Latest reply

They sold 3 of them within 10 hrs or so Stawks.............................nice little earner if they were all bank deposit..............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 23 of 47
Latest reply

Is this the case that made the newspapers?

If not, then do what the other buyer did, straight onto his official facebook page, do what you can to affect his business, turn buyers off. Any social media you can-you want to hit him till it hurts but keep it in legal limits and factual about what was done to you.

And if you need to go the path of debt collectors, do it. Anything back is better than nothing.

Ah I see he has had to close his Facebook accounts, i can see where they have been. That's got to hurt him a little bit!Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 47
Latest reply

If all else fails, maybe you can try A Current Affair?

Message 25 of 47
Latest reply

@richy0072007wrote:

I had also made a direct deposit , but to (noosaaaa),His name is Dxxxxx Xxxxxxx ,from Dxxxxx Xxxxxxx Photography in xxxxxxxxxx ,outside of Perth WAHe complained about the PayPal Fees and how long they hold his money.I felt sorry for the guy and paid him $2115.He had since cancelled the transaction to also save ebay fees and that's when i knew i was in trouble.Your only option is a small claims court or a debt collection agency.If you go to the police they will not get involved and tell you that it is a civil matter.Ebay  will not help at all.I have rang for the fourth time today and i cannot believe his account is still active.I asked the ebay operator on the phone,where on Ebay does it state that i am not protected by paying by direct deposit?..........The whole thing is so wrong..Ebay should have still gotten a cut from the sale and offer no help at all.                                                                                                                                                  Good luck,wish you all the best..Regards Richy Norman.

there are plenty of places on eBay where it warns buyers to only pay by safe payment method.

Here is one, the eBay MBG page.  I hope you read about MBG when it was rolled out.  It is prudent to read all eBay announcements.

https://pages2.ebay.com.au/eBay_Money_Back_Guarantee?_trkparms=%26clkid%3D7415040330284531994&_trkpa...

Direct deposit has a course of action you could follow for recovering your funds, and you have identified them in your post.

Not sure why anyone would expect eBay to cover payment methods where there is no chance of eBay recovering funds if they were to refund.  By this I mean if eBay gave you the amount you paid by bank deposit, how would they recover that money from the seller?  There is no mechanism for this, AND more importantly it would open up eBay to untold fraudulent claims.  If eBay did refund DD, the only way they could possible recover funds is costly and time consuming legal action funded by raising seller fees, OR, just raising seller fees such as store fees and final value fees . . . . . . . I am sure all sellers would just love that !!!!!!!

Message 26 of 47
Latest reply

@imastawkawrote:

edit:  Just looked at the transaction.  It was for a pick up.  Why would you do a bank payment for a pick up?

Actually the transaction said either PayPal or cash on delivery. I guess Richy said he would pay by PayPal because maybe they are not in the same location, and then the seller said he preferred a bank deposit because of PayPal fees?

Edit: I see what you mean -  Postage: Free local pick-up

Message 27 of 47
Latest reply

Hi, how did you find the transaction.

Thanks.

Message 28 of 47
Latest reply

@robbins3910wrote:

Hi, how did you find the transaction.

Thanks.

On the seller's feedback page.

First the buyer's feedback page (fb left for others), then going to the seller's fb page because "view item" is only available on the seller's fb page.

Message 29 of 47
Latest reply

Image result for smiley sign yeah that         

And the fact that the mods haven't removed the seller's name from the post.

Message 30 of 47
Latest reply