Why does eBay remove a negative feedback left for an abusive seller

I bought a part for a dishwasher (I'm big on environment)  from a seller. The seller took 9 days to take the item to the post office (it was not that it took 9 days to arrive, he lodged it only 9 days after the day he was supposed to lodge). It arrived much later.

My initial query (as it was to have arrived in 3 days) was not answered.

I sent subsequent queries asking if he'd posted and he didn't respond.

After several messages, his response was "I was overseas" (presumably China)..... Then I asked him how he managed to skip isolation requirements if he'd just returned..... after a few more emails, and having been caught lying he became very abusive.

I left a negative feedback (the first negative in 10 years I might add), for his rude attitude, which I mentioned in the feedback. None of my messages violated any eBay policies, but his did.

After a few days, he left a dishonest feedback response. After a few more days, I found that eBay had removed my feedback but let his feedback response stand. 

Question: How can buyers trust eBay feedback when true feedback that is well within the eBay policies is removed?

I contacted eBay and they said that due to "Covid 19" they were giving sellers a chance in respect of postage delays (although the delay was not in the postage, but with the seller lodging the item). I said the feedback had been as the seller had been quite rude and after going through the messages they agreed. Not being vidictive I asked if they could remove his feedback response which they did.

However, I am really disgusted by eBay removing an honest feedback which would serve as a warning to future buyers.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Why does eBay remove a negative feedback left for an abusive seller

The subject was "Why does eBay remove a negative feedback left for an abusive seller". I thought the OP's post was clear but some posts seemed to be intent on raising issues unrelated to that subject. .

Message 21 of 25
Latest reply

@shacklestore wrote:

The subject was "Why does eBay remove a negative feedback left for an abusive seller". I thought the OP's post was clear but some posts seemed to be intent on raising issues unrelated to that subject. .

eBay gave their reason. The whole thread is ultimately superfluous because no one here can justify eBay's reasoning to the buyer's satisfaction, IMO, regardless of the circumstances and whether a respondent is empathetic to the OP or not. 

I'm not saying I agree with it, there's no excuse for abusive behaviour from anyone, and I also don't condone the seller's actions if they took 9 days to post an item but  had a much shorter handling time and their shop wasn't in holiday mode. 

Right now, ebay are making across the board allowances for sellers due to current postal conditions. These kinds of policies sometimes result in someone benefitting who should not. The same applies for a lot of their buyer protection policies, lots of rage about that from sellers at the moment - the pendulum swing is still in the buyer's favour by and large though. The removal of a red dot might feel dissatisfactory, but it's pretty hard to feel rage about it vicariously.

Message 22 of 25
Latest reply

@11dustyattic wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@11dustyattic wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

So what was the seller's handling time?  If he posted within that timeframe you had no issue but you went out of your way to try to make him look like a liar.

I am not surprised at the seller's reaction to your badgering.

And racism is not acceptable....how do you know he went to China.

Just got back from overseas, that would be a lie

Would it?

How do you know he was not overseas?

You seem to like to have the last say, to be in control of the discussion. Little tip, other people have opinions and are entitled to voice them. We were in lockdown sweetheart, how did this person get in and out of the country? Unless he's a 60 minutes reporter haha

I am not your sweetheart....thank goodness....and this is not about having the last say.

I just want to know how you know the seller was not overseas.

I have no idea how the seller got in and out of the country but I do know that at no stage has Sydney Airport ever been closed completely.....it has been operational every day of the lockdown period.

Perhaps the seller was on one of the many planes that arrived and departed during that time.

Message 23 of 25
Latest reply

Given you live in close proximity to the airport Lyndal, how on earth would you know that planes are still taking off and landing? Geez!

Spoiler
😄 
Message 24 of 25
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@11dustyattic wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@11dustyattic wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

So what was the seller's handling time?  If he posted within that timeframe you had no issue but you went out of your way to try to make him look like a liar.

I am not surprised at the seller's reaction to your badgering.

And racism is not acceptable....how do you know he went to China.

Just got back from overseas, that would be a lie

Would it?

How do you know he was not overseas?

You seem to like to have the last say, to be in control of the discussion. Little tip, other people have opinions and are entitled to voice them. We were in lockdown sweetheart, how did this person get in and out of the country? Unless he's a 60 minutes reporter haha

I am not your sweetheart....thank goodness....and this is not about having the last say.

I just want to know how you know the seller was not overseas.

I have no idea how the seller got in and out of the country but I do know that at no stage has Sydney Airport ever been closed completely.....it has been operational every day of the lockdown period.

Perhaps the seller was on one of the many planes that arrived and departed during that time.

Oh you really do know how to play with words don't you. Of course Sydney airport didn't close. None of the airports have closed hahaha the borders have been closed. What rock have you been under? As for controlling the conversation, here you are again pushing a moot point. Who really cares? We don't know for sure, maybe the guy is a 60 minutes reporter after all. I'm sure they use Ebay too lol 

I still have my opinion. Is that okay with you? Are you sure because I'd hate to upset you? 

Message 25 of 25
Latest reply