Why does ebay allow this?

There are so many listings like this one:

lights fake.JPG
The listing is for SOLAR LIGHTS, the main photo is of the lights as shown in the above photo left bottom corner and the price is $2.19, but when you click on it the lights are $15 and the cheap item from the drop down menu is something totally different.  And in this case, this weird piece of junk is the only item available from the listing; if you click on the drop down menu the lights are not available.  It makes search pretty much useless.  I keep reporting them, and checking the listings but nothing happens.

Together with so many items either not arriving at all, and replacements not showing up either, or if anything comes it is often damaged or was faulty to start with, I am finding I spend so much time getting refunds that I am starting to worry when will PP start to question me. 

My latest disaster were these lights.  I bought several about 4 years ago and they were great, but now are starting to fail, so I thought I better get replacements.  Bought 3, only one works, the other 2 look like they went through fire or something and do not work properly.   It took me a week to get my refund.
Believe me, they  look worse in real life:

IMG_9431.JPG

I find shopping in B&M stores too difficult now; unless I know exactly what I want, where to get and I can park right in the front, I just cannot do it.  I have been buying all my clothes and presents  on line, mainly from eBay, but I am really just over it now.  I wonder if other people are finding it as unsatisfactory as I? 

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Why does ebay allow this?

I was going to send a private message but it seems a couple of others are also interested.

The shop is Cookware brands Outlet Shop. It is at 494 Dorset Rd, Croydon. It is in a small shopping strip.

A friend & I drop in there on our way out sometimes and always seem to pick up something, although sometimes it is just something small. Then we walk along the strip about 8 shops away and have a coffee & complimentary chocolate in Hahndorf's. Plus there is an interesting Op shop where we usually drop off some things then have a browse for anything unusual. So I guess for us it is just an enjoyable little interlude, it's not just about the cookware.Smiley Happy

I have to warn people the Cookware shop is not a big store, just average size. Not open Sat afternoons either. What is on the back tables varies completely from visit to visit. Often there is nothing I need, but I have picked up a couple of good pieces of Circulon for prices ranging from about $30-$50.

Most of the back tables stuff is items such as saucepans, grillets, frypans. Different brands from cheaper to more expensive.

The rest of the shop has a range of cookware items but they tend to be a bit dearer (still discounted, according to them though) as they are new in boxes.

There are some baking pans and some cake decorating things. More for the home cook than a professional level decorator though. My friend does cake decorating but she bought her tins elsewhere. 

The women who work there are prettty helpful, always willing to give advice on how or how not to use different pieces. The only sad thing is I asked about the senior's discount last time and they gave it to me, didn't even ask to see the card for proof.Woman Wink

PS Countessa, just noticed you said bread baking. I am not sure how much they have. They do have a website I think, but I can't recall a lot of breadbaking things. The stuff on the back table (usually saucepans etc) is not on the website as it is one off stuff)

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

Springy, googling that name brings up one of those outlets in the northern suburbs as well.

There's one at Uni Hill in Bundoora, so thanks for that info.

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

springyzone, thank you!

I mentioned bread baking because I was actually thinking that the shop might be the one from which I have regularly been buying a particular ingredient; it's a wonderful shop in Hallam with a very good range of cooking/baking items you'd be hard-pressed to find elsewhere. Actually...oh no. I just saw from their website that they have closed as of end of June this year. (Owners have retired.) That's a blow. They stocked both some cookware (excellent baking/proving tins in particular) and ingredients - rare ingredients, unusual ingredients, including Hi-maize® Resistant Starch which can be added to anything made with flour by about 20% by weight, to lower the GI and add resistant starch to the diet. I am always looking for ways to reduce GI for diabetic family member's diet.

I can't find any other seller in Australia stocking this, so I will have to order it from US shops. (It won't be the only ingredient I have to import; I must buy Tagatose from a US shop as well. It's a sugar substitute that caramelises just as sugar does, but has a mere 38% of the calories of sugar and is 3 on the GI. No unpleasant aftertaste. Essential for making a crème brûlée for said diabetic family member!)

Hi-maize® Resistant Starch was developed in Australia, but then the rights were sold to a US company, and immediately it began to be hard to get in Australia. I think the problem was that it was developed before the optimal time when it would have gained advertising traction; nowhere near enough people are aware to this day about this excellent product. CSIRO have done research into resistant starch, and have developed BARLEYmax™, but as far I know, one can't buy this as an ingredient.

Ah - actually, I did come across another resistant starch last night (while looking for something else). It's Green Banana Resistant Starch. I'll experiment with that.

springyzone, I will call in to the Cookware brands Outlet Shop; thank you for suggesting it!

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

According to one of Michael Mosley's books, if you cook rice and then cool it the GI lowers drastically because of the resistant starch. If you then reheat it it's even better. He may give a website that gives more info but I didn't take note of it and I returned his books to the library last week. I think he has a website with the same name as his book if you google it.

I took some notes from The Clever Guts Diet and this is what I've got, but he had more detail:

You're unlikely to get big blood sugar spikes eating RS and you won't hold too many calories from it either. It feeds the good bacteria in the large intestine. You find RS in grains, seeds and legumes, unripe bananas and green peas. It's in rice that's been cooked and cooled, because that changes the structure of the starch.
Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

brerrabbit, I have his books; they are part of my multi-point plan in helping the family member deal with diabetes (very successfully). Yes, cooked potatoes or rice or pasta that's allowed to cool down, and then is subsequently reheated, is excellent for lowering its glycaemic index. (Yes, I know his website well.)

Spoiler
The family member concerned has done extraordinarily well - I set a daily exercise regime (high-intensity interval training 3 times a week, 10 minutes on treadmill after meals), diet (intermittent fasting - initially 2 days a week, now 1 day a week for maintenance), the mediterranean diet for normal everyday eating (salmon at least 3 times a week, small amounts of meat no more than 3 times a week maximum, lots of vegetables, good quantity of olive oil, etc.), and inventive baking from me (home-made rye bread, interesting mix of grains bread, even white bread - with sugar substitute and resistant starch - and sugar-free cakes when called for, including a cheesecake that is as divine as anything I've ever baked, and a Black Forest cake that has a surprising amount and variety of vegetables in it!)

We have probably reversed the condition, but that hasn't been clinically proven.

Spoiler
I followed the research of Newcastle University in the UK about reversing Type 2 diabetes.    (It's astonishing how many people who've been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes still continue to eat the same foods which contributed to their condition, and who rely on medication - which is far far less than optimal in terms of treatment or even as ongoing maintenance.)

Kefir is also wonderful for good bacteria. Anecdotally some people with IBS have experienced remarkable results with kefir, and studies show promising biotic characteristics. Most of the studies took place prior to 2005, but there are still further studies occurring to evaluate the effect and isolate particular strains.

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

The joy of genes.

I am overweight and under exercised (no functional knees - too much overweight exercise when I were a lad), eat red meat and way too much sugar.

Cholesterol normal, blood sugar normal.

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

Yes, genetic predisposition... Some people's BMI range above which they'll be landed with various diseases is narrow, while other people's is wide. It makes a huge difference.

I've just been briefly researching gum disease and tooth decay in the 1700s, and began to wonder how the equivalent of an eBay would have looked in that era. There'd be listings of "live tooth for implant available by master tooth-drawer", "life-like wooden teeth affixed to remedy rotten, hollow, or stumps of teeth" or Essence of Pearl and Pearl Dentifrice...  If "wanted" ads could be posted, they'd definitely include "DONORS of teeth in good repair wanted; excellent money paid."

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

You might like to read Mary Enig's books, if you haven't already.  She died a couple of years ago but she knew a lot more than Mosley.  I agree with some of what he says but hate the flawed studies he quotes.  

I'm a fan of kefir and have been for over 10 years now.  I can testify that it makes a huge difference when it comes to inflammation.  Mosley says its good but over-complicates things big time in his instructions for culturing it.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

I have a feeling I know the shop you mean in Hallam, my friend visited it sometimes I think.

You sound like a great cook, countessa, maybe we'll see you on masterchef!!

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

c_mount
Community Member
Ebay won't remove these idiots because its all about income streams mate. A sad state of affairs and a reflection on the great greed of corps.
Message 20 of 20
Latest reply