Highlighted
Community Member
Accepted Solution

Why isn't the GST included in the bidding price?

[ Edited ]

Quote from ACCC: "When you present prices to your customers, you must state the total price of the good or service as a single figure, which is the minimum total cost that is able to be calculated. This should include any tax, duty, fee, levy or other additional charges (e.g. GST or airport tax)."

I'm assuming the purchase agreement is made when clicking [Buy It Now]. This bidding price should include GST (or maybe at least state something like "price excludes GST") so that when comparing this price to another Australian price it is a fair comparison. I can't back out of the purchase after i've agreed to buy, so increasing the price at checkout seems to breach the pricing rules.

(note: I have no issues with being charged GST, I just want it to be transparent and consistent)

Community Member

Re: Why isn't the GST included in the bidding price?

[ Edited ]
in reply to dachrma

The GST on imports works a little different to GST on local products (which is what that rule is for), for a couple of reasons - unlike goods sold by Australian sellers, it only applies to purchases under $1000, and because that includes multiple item purchases, the total purchase value from any given seller isn't known until checkout, and also because it makes a difference where the delivery address is (for example, an Australian buyer having an item sent to an overseas address, will not have GST applied to their purchase). This puts the GST on international items in a "may or may not apply" situation, so having it in the price displayed in search results, for example, can also be misleading. Having it at checkout, where the purchase total and delivery address is confirmed, is the better option from eBay's perspective. 

Community Member

Re: Why isn't the GST included in the bidding price?

in reply to dachrma

As DG has said which means everyone in Australia just needs to know to add a further 10% on top of virtually anything imported.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic