Will I get sufficient protection if I pay item with eBay gift card?

Hi there,

Just wondering if I still get good buyer protection if I pay the item with eBay gift cards?

I guess I won't get PayPal protection if the item is not paid entirely using PayPal?

How about eBay's buyer protection then. 

Cheers, 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I am not 100% sure but I think if you pay using PayPal and using the gift card as a part payment entering the code upon checkout, you are still covered as it's a PayPal payment with a discount applied.

So in other words choose PayPal then enter the card code in checkout, if that is still the way gift cards are applied.

(That was the way in USA but eBay change things so often)

image host

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I'm on my mobile and don't know how to post a link but the money back guarantee states protection is available when the payment method was PayPal or credit card via an online merchant account (so, not by phone).

It doesn't mention gift cards so for the time being I can only presume they are excluded.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

That is a very good question.

Unfortunately I have no idea. eBay gift cards are relatively new to Australia, so the knowledge base is very limited. Hopefully somebody with experience will come along .

You are not being ignored, though.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I believe the ebay Buyer Protection hinges on the use of paypal.

Look up the paypal and ebay terms and conditions to find out for sure but I believe they are both dependent on the use of paypal or a credit card through paypal.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Some things to remember when using a gift card

You'll need to have an eBay account with an Australian address to spend your gift card on eBay.com.au

You can use your gift card to pay for items listed on eBay.com.au, where the seller accepts PayPal or credit/debit card.

You don't need to use PayPal to spend your gift card. (Some gift cards may say that you need a PayPal account, but actually you don't.

You don't need to spend the entire gift card amount in one purchase. We'll save any remaining balance against your eBay account for you to spend at another time.

You can spend more than one gift card at a time, or use a gift card on top of a voucher or discount offer. At checkout, put in one code at a time in the Add vouchers, gift cards section and select Apply after each one to update your order total.

You can use up to 8 codes per transaction.Gift cards purchased from 31 March 2018 expire 3 years after the date of issue, regardless of the expiry term stated on the card.

Gift cards purchased before this date are valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

I am not 100% sure but I think if you pay using PayPal and using the gift card as a part payment entering the code upon checkout, you are still covered as it's a PayPal payment with a discount applied.

So in other words choose PayPal then enter the card code in checkout, if that is still the way gift cards are applied.

(That was the way in USA but eBay change things so often)

image host
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I'm on my mobile and don't know how to post a link but the money back guarantee states protection is available when the payment method was PayPal or credit card via an online merchant account (so, not by phone).

It doesn't mention gift cards so for the time being I can only presume they are excluded.
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

That is a very good question.

Unfortunately I have no idea. eBay gift cards are relatively new to Australia, so the knowledge base is very limited. Hopefully somebody with experience will come along .

You are not being ignored, though.

Who are you and what have you done to the real davewil1964? 😉😨😦😄😃😲😬😊

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Not sayin'.

I do expect some good vegies this year, though.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

dave - Hope you didn't buy the new shovel with a credit card.

DG, I thought PayPal is the way you use a gift voucher.

Select PayPal then enter the code on the gift card to redeem it.

image host
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@kopes, crow posted the correct info above - using PayPal is not required.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply