lengthy wait for shipping of item

I brought an item from a UK seller on the 3rd March, I just enquired when they would ship it and they said 19th March. This a long time to wait? But possibly its an estimate.Man Frustrated

Message 1 of 76
Latest reply
75 REPLIES 75

@*tippy*toes*wrote:

@daydreams_12wrote:

Springy, have you not read about michelle's unrealistic expectations of sellers before?????

Am surprised if she is not on numerous party lists by now!!!!!!!!

I doubt it, because no one on here is overseas and sells rodent food or second hand cages.

That much is true, but many people may choose not to have dealings with an individual who so often (knowingly and happily)puts our wildlife in danger by importing prohibited goods. And who expects sellers to break the law by 'demanding' they send goods when they cancel the sale due to said restrictions or boasts when a prohibited item was sent and 'got through' 

It has happened over and over 

Message 21 of 76
Latest reply

@digital*ghostwrote:

wrote: 

This is pretty much the sort of thing ebay is going to have to, and is trying to clamp down on I think. If a seller can't (normally) post within a week to 10 days, they shouldn't be on ebay.

Except that the buyer sees the handling time or ETA (which is obviously extended due to the longer handling time) and then chooses whether to buy or not - why care if the sellers are on eBay when it's 100% buyer choice whether that wait is acceptable? If a seller sells just as much internationally as they do domestically, it makes sense to give themselves an extra week or two breathing space in light of eBay's ETA and MBG, too. 

I think you may also be forgetting that would eliminate things like pre-orders, tailored wedding dresses, made to order stuff, or custom design / made items (these can have up to 6 weeks handling time on other sites - some people are really just happy to wait for what they want, there's no need to take options away from them because others are not ๐Ÿ˜‰ ). 

I did say-normally.

So I am not eliminating things like wedding frocks or custom made items. People would expect to wait a little longer for these.

But even then, I've had a fair bit of experience with custom made items. I had a daughter's place cards for her wedding printed in England. I had custom made stickers and such made for 2 other weddings, I've had pens, business cards, you name it, made.

All of those things came very quickly. Anything that can be printed will usually be off the presses in a couple of days, not a couple of weeks. My place cards from UK arrived in just over a week, from memory.

Wedding dresses are probably not the ideal thing to buy via ebay. I know in shops the wait can be several weeks & that is for one reason-the shops don't have the dresses, they import them, usually from USA for bridal, China for bridesmaids.

My experience with a lot of custom made items such as Xmas decorations, photobook albums etc on other sites is they are quick off the mark. I uploaded a 130 page album on 28 Feb and it arrived from Malaysia last week.

Fair enough, a custom made item-maybe a frock or wooden item, might take longer.

But I would question why normal, everyday items would need a handling time of any more than 10 days. I think the delays are often because the seller hasn't got the item in his little hot hands. He is dealing with a third party and lots can go wrong-the supplier may be out of stock, problems in production line, problems in the time it gets to the seller.

Unless i miss my mark, I'd day this is the type of sale that ebay will eventually try to stamp out by tightening handling & delivery times. I know you mentioned a buyer sees the ETA so they don't have to go with it if not happy, but realistically, that isn't how it works, is it. Customers might have to accept it but we know from these boards that a lot of them don't like it. And ebay probably realise that.

There's going to be less & less wiggle room for sellers, that's my prediction.

Message 22 of 76
Latest reply

@daydreams_12wrote:

Springy, have you not read about michelle's unrealistic expectations of sellers before?????

Am surprised if she is not on numerous party lists by now!!!!!!!!

Yes, I have. And from a lot of her past posts, I have to admit to being concerned about some of the things she tries to import. I am not supporting any of that.

But I was responding to this present post only. I have no idea what she bought or who she bought from.

But she said she bought 3 Mar and it won't be posted till 19 Mar (if i recall correctly) and to me, it is not unrealistic to expect a normal item to get posted off a  bit faster than that. 16 days is an excessive handling time for most products, it's very unusual. I totally understand the items could take a couple of weeks to reach Michelle, that's a different matter. But to take 16 days before it is even posted is stretching it and I would bet my bottom dollar that if they make a habit of it, their feedback would get trashed. People might buy under those conditions but people won't like it.

Message 23 of 76
Latest reply

The item was 6 x 10ml concentrated vitamin drops for small animals. They are usually about $AU16.00 just for one bottle. I paid just over AU$15.00 for them which is very very cheap. I had bought from this seller over a year ago but got tired of waiting for them to respond to my emails and cancelled the order. They are a very large seller with around 400 thousand items or so.. But thats no excuse for waiting over 2 weeks to post something. Their have quite a lot of negative feedback. I'll be lucky if its posted. Really lucky.
Message 24 of 76
Latest reply

wrote:

I know you mentioned a buyer sees the ETA so they don't have to go with it if not happy, but realistically, that isn't how it works, is it.

Why not?

If the long handling time is being displyed clearly, why do we have to be so quick to say the seller shouldn't be doing that when it's the buyer who has the opportunity to make an informed decision?

I may be off the mark with what you were suggesting, but we need to stop trying to "protect" buyers because they regret purchase decisions they made without reading the available info until after they purchased. The seller may well accept a cancellation, but eliminating them from eBay is overkill, IMO. 

Message 25 of 76
Latest reply

so why order when the ad said they have a 15 day handling time and a lot of neg feedback?

You knew and your ordered anyway

Your choice and yours alone

And you keep on with the same behaviour over and over and then come here wanting people to feel sorry for you and tell you what a bad seller they are

Message 26 of 76
Latest reply

@michellebartleywrote:
The item was 6 x 10ml concentrated vitamin drops for small animals. They are usually about $AU16.00 just for one bottle. I paid just over AU$15.00 for them which is very very cheap. I had bought from this seller over a year ago but got tired of waiting for them to respond to my emails and cancelled the order. They are a very large seller with around 400 thousand items or so.. But thats no excuse for waiting over 2 weeks to post something. Their have quite a lot of negative feedback. I'll be lucky if its posted. Really lucky.

I am surprised you were able to purchase at all considering your past behaviour with this seller.  They would have been within their rights to put you on their Blocked Buyer List for cancelling within their handling time last year.

You wrote that they have 400,000 items listed . . . . . . . wouldnโ€™t that indicate that they might be a very busy seller?

Their handling time may have been set so long to avoid unfair eBay MBG claims from impatient international buyers . . . . . . and we know there are some of them about  Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 76
Latest reply

@michellebartleywrote:
I just looked it up it is 15 days handling time. Thanks.

So why are you asking/complaining?

You should've looked it up FIRST and if you were not happy with that you could've gone elsewhere.

By buying the item with the stipulated handling time in place you can't/shouldn't complain as all the infomation

was there.

Just accept it and wait for it to arrive.

Message 28 of 76
Latest reply

@digital*ghostwrote:

wrote:

I know you mentioned a buyer sees the ETA so they don't have to go with it if not happy, but realistically, that isn't how it works, is it.

Why not?

If the long handling time is being displyed clearly, why do we have to be so quick to say the seller shouldn't be doing that when it's the buyer who has the opportunity to make an informed decision?

I may be off the mark with what you were suggesting, but we need to stop trying to "protect" buyers because they regret purchase decisions they made without reading the available info until after they purchased. The seller may well accept a cancellation, but eliminating them from eBay is overkill, IMO. 

I understand what you are saying, and in an ideal world, maybe that is how it should work. For sure.

But I don't see ebay as an ideal world. I see the real world as a fairly impatient place, to be honest.

I've seen sellers who have long handling times & who have neutrals & neg after neg complaining about their service, even though Blind freddy could have seen before buying how it was going to be.

I think if it is a custom made product, a buyer might understand the reason for a delay, but a lot of buyers aren't understanding about why ordinary products can't be off within a week. I know I have been guilty of exactly the same feelings at times, not that I would ever give bad feedback for it, don't get me wrong. But a lot do & I guess I'm weary, I just don't think you can change human nature so you have to go along with it & work around it. Ebay I think is trying to do that-keep the customers happy, make it snappy, make it competitive with other sites.

Trouble is, just about every website I buy from (and I just spent $104 about 30 minutes ago at another site) has a 1-3 day handling time.

Message 29 of 76
Latest reply

Plus they have done the same thing with the same seller,for the same reason last year

Obviously expecting special treatment this time

And then wonders why people get annoyed 

Message 30 of 76
Latest reply