Advice on Stamp Album from 1920-1930's

Hi,  have inherited a family member's stamp album.  Some are in the correct

spaces and some are loose.   Could someone please recommend where I should

take them for appraisal.  I'm in Sydney..  TIA.

tip toe through the tulips
Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Advice on Stamp Album from 1920-1930's

tulip, the value of an old stamp album is always reflected in how much money the collector originally spent on their hobby

If your family member was in a position in the 20s and 30s to spend a lot of money buying good collectable items for his collection, that will be reflected  to some degree in today's buying price.

if your family member did not spend a lot of money on his collection but only got stamps of the mail from family / friends / the office where he worked, then, those stamps, in general, do not appreciate in value.

Age has very little bearing on the value of a stamp, condition and rarity are the main factors.

You can buy a used stamp that is 150 or 170 years old for a couple of dollars.

Look forward to seeing a few photos of your collection.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

On the contary,  I am  not one of the scumbags from stampboard.  I spend most of my time being thrown off it for arguing with the sheriff.  BUT I did not know of him history.   I find it a good place for info,  because there is always someone on there.   You did not notice my comment about him earlier.   I have been thrown off there for asking silly questions on "ask a silly question".  I have had my questions re worded so they do not mean the same thing,  I have had comments thrown back at me for waisting there time on unclear questioins.  ( I thought that was what the site was for,  the novice who does not know squot )   so if you are not an expert don't ask us a question..WHY DID I SENT THAT PERSON TO STAMPBOARD.

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

victoriasberty
Community Member

You have my sincerest apologies Grump. But please don't ever direct anyone to stamp boards there are NO good people on there and they are a bunch of condescending losers with nothing better to do than make people feel like garbage. I am an Expert and I would know more than anyone here or stamp boards. My relatives printed stamps and I have there journals, as well as being the only person outside the royal family to see King Georges private stamp collection. Philately is a hobby not a business, unfortunately for us people like Glen Stephens have there putrid little finger in every pie. Again sorry to assume. 

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

You are quite correct.  I only go there to confirm.  I posted half a dozen Australian blue georges VI to see if anyone could tell me the correct way to recognized the white wattle.   I was howled down for not giving enough info like SG numbers of the stamps I down loaded , What the hell if I knew the SG number I would know if it was a while wattle...also downloaded ( I know this one was a bit iffy ) 3 george V browns and asked if anyone could say if the 3rd one was blackbrown using the other 2 to get a colour guide.  again I was howled down for not having a SG colour guide and not supplying SG numbers.  I went to another persons defence after they were belittled and was thrown off.  I bought what was addvertised as a 2nd printing of the stamp below, but could clearly see on the picture on eBay that it was a 3rd printing.  I put that on to have it confirmed and got no responce.  SO WHY WOUND I SEND ANYONE THERE

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

Below are some pics of the Australian stamps, there are other countries also.

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

Sorry tulip....At first glance I would say it wasn't worth a trip to a dealer.

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

Below is a clearer view of the left side

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

Sorry tulip...I would say give them to some one who has an interest.  Unless there is the odd high value KGV, ROO or  MINT or an error,  I would say,  It properbly not worth your time...BUT I'm not an expert,  just a collector of some 50years.

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

hi tulip, I agree with the grumpy one,  most of what you have shown in the photos is low value stamps off the mail, really no commercial (resaleable) value there.

may be of interest to other junior family members to get them interested in stamp collecting, worth asking around and passing them on to a family member who will enjoy them for what they are.

Parts of King George's collection were on exhibition in Melbourne in the Court of Honour, at the international stamp exhibition in 1984.   There is to be another international exhibition in Melbourne later this year, but I don't know who's collection will be in the Court of Honour this time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

64idgaf
Community Member

Try these this weekend:

Saturday, April 27 10:00am Punchbowl Stamp & Coin Fair - Monthly Fair - Punchbowl Community Centre, 44 Rossmore Avenue, Punchbowl NSW 2196

Sunday, April 28 9:30am Epping Stamp & Coin Fair - Monthly Fair - Epping Community Hall 9 Oxford Street Epping NSW 2121

Let them have a look at the album, most dealers will offer you a fair price that allows them to sell it quickly and double their money.

Message 20 of 21
Latest reply