Cleaning Silver Prior to Listing

Hello,

I have some Strachan caosters I want to get rid of - they are however, dull. 

Looking like in need of a polish.

Somebody mentioned to me I should not clean them - I should leave them with the 'patina'.

I don't have much exerience with silver - and am looking for suggestions regarding to best approach.

And if I should clean them - is toothpaste ok to use?

thank-you.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Are they "dull" as in tarnished - dirty looking? Or "dull" as in scratched and worn. In any case Strachan coasters are one of the few things I would clean - cutlery is another. (Never silver jewellery for example). There is simply so much Strachan around that I think you need to have it looking as good as possible to try and get the best price available - they do seem to bring wildly different prices. Toothpaste is often said to be good for delicate items with very light surface scratching (as it is mildly abrasive). I have never found it very effective personally. If you are trying to remove tarnish then any proprietary silver cleaner would do a better job. If you are looking to get something for a few cleaning projects I would heartily recommend Original Silver & Gold polish

web site here

http://www.originaljewellerycleaner.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53

I love this product best because it does not leave your hands black for ages afterwards, the residue all washes off in warm water and soap so you don't have to use gloves. Their jewellery cleaner is also fab. If you just want to use it once then any silver cleaner (rather than a silver cloth) you can buy in the supermarket will do the job for you.

Difference between "tarnish" and "patina" can be a personal thing - Strachan is hardly antique so in my mind it doesn't deserve patina, and as it will be close to food, I would clean it first. But others may think differently.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

As mentioned Strachan coasters are made for mass market and really neither antique or vintage so marks are more likely tarnish than patina.

Just use a little silver polish to make them sparkle again. Smiley Wink

image host

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Are they "dull" as in tarnished - dirty looking? Or "dull" as in scratched and worn. In any case Strachan coasters are one of the few things I would clean - cutlery is another. (Never silver jewellery for example). There is simply so much Strachan around that I think you need to have it looking as good as possible to try and get the best price available - they do seem to bring wildly different prices. Toothpaste is often said to be good for delicate items with very light surface scratching (as it is mildly abrasive). I have never found it very effective personally. If you are trying to remove tarnish then any proprietary silver cleaner would do a better job. If you are looking to get something for a few cleaning projects I would heartily recommend Original Silver & Gold polish

web site here

http://www.originaljewellerycleaner.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53

I love this product best because it does not leave your hands black for ages afterwards, the residue all washes off in warm water and soap so you don't have to use gloves. Their jewellery cleaner is also fab. If you just want to use it once then any silver cleaner (rather than a silver cloth) you can buy in the supermarket will do the job for you.

Difference between "tarnish" and "patina" can be a personal thing - Strachan is hardly antique so in my mind it doesn't deserve patina, and as it will be close to food, I would clean it first. But others may think differently.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

As mentioned Strachan coasters are made for mass market and really neither antique or vintage so marks are more likely tarnish than patina.

Just use a little silver polish to make them sparkle again. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Thanks for your input... and the link.

cheerio.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply