How do coin sellers on eBay make a profit?

I sometimes see coin sellers on eBay selling their coins for such cheap prices. A 50 cents coin pulled out of circulation, for example, can be sold at $1.00-$1.50 with free postage. How on earth do these people make a profit when regular post itself costs $1.00, eBay charges final value fees (at 11% now), Paypal takes another cut of the profits, and there's also the coin's face value to take into consideration?

Don't they have to sell a 50 cents coin, for example, at a price of at least $2.50 to break even?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Sellers have loss leaders.

So they sell some small items at a loss to lead people into their listings and buy other items.

Some sellers are also building up feedback.

I have sold some banknotes below face value as it pleases people to get items for their collection.

And I enjoy doing good little deeds. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Postage for seniors costs 0.60 so if it's a senior person selling and the payments go into a bank account instead of PayPal

then selling a 50c coin for $1.50 will give a profit of 15c lol so there is a profit to be made and if they sell 100 coins say at this price then the profit will be $15 or more depending if combined postage is used.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Concession card holders save exactly $20 per year (at the current $1 stamp rate), not exactly what I would call a huge saving. They can only apply for 50 concession stamps in a twelve month span, unlike for example train tickets (myki cards here in Melbourne) where the concession card is valid all year round.
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

If a 50c coin manages to get one solitary bid and ends at $0.50 with free postage it's the seller's own fault.
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply