Stamp on old wood filing cabinet - good eyes needed.

This is the stamp on an old wood filing cabinet that come from a church.

photo1.jpg

Does anybody want to have a go at filling in the missing blanks?

Manufacted by

_________ _____________ Co. Pty. Ltd

_________ ________ Rd

Ne_ _ _market

European Labour Only

22 June 1949

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I think the town is Newmarket

Can i buy a vowel please?

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

I wish. l've looked through so many old copies of The Argus from 1949

Manufacted by

_________ _____________ Co. Pty. Ltd

___ Racecourse Rd

Newmarket

European Labour Only

22 June 1949

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Found it (in the Argus).

Manufacted by

F.K. Cox & Co. Pty. Ltd

Racecourse Rd

Newmarket

European Labour Only

22 June 1949

Clip.jpg

Thank you for helping search!

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Nice job, another mystery solved with 0 fatalities!

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Well done Miss / Mr Marple.  🙂 

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I wonder why the specific reference to "European Labour Only"? As it was only 4 years after the end of WWII I doubt the Japanese were manufacturing or exporting commercial goods at that stage as they were still too busy fixing up their own country and economy.

Also, Europeans would include many countries which were allied with, or under the control of Germany during WWII, and Australia didn't have it's massive immigration push until the '50s anyway, so I'm very curious about the reasons for that stencil.

Can anybody offer a suggestion or opinion?
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

If you Google "European Labour Only" Australia  you will find your answer. Basically the stamps date to the beginning of the 20th century, when Chinese furniture factories in Australia were seen as "sweat shops" paying low wages with which local "Australian" manufacturers could not compete (although this probably not true see - http://www.chia.chinesemuseum.com.au/biogs/CH00016b.htm

Chinese labourers had turned to furniture making when the gold fields ran out, and dominated the cheaper end of the furniture spectrum, especially in Melbourne.

Some states required Chinese manufactured furniture to have Chinese made stamps, which apparently backfired as it made it easier for buyers to identify the well made but inexpensive furniture. There were specific rules which governed the use of a European Labour Only stamp - during the tough times of the Depression and after WW2 it was a way of identifying Australian made furniture - an early call to "Buy Australian". Anyway there are numerous articles which will explain it better than I can.

http://blogs.slq.qld.gov.au/jol/2011/09/25/beneath-the-veneer-september-out-of-the-port/

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I'm usually the first to tell people to google something if they don't know something so I can't begin to imagine why I didn't think to do so myself, but I appreciate your doing so on my behalf. 😉

I assumed that because Australia was a fairly insular country back then, it had something to do with racial denigration but it never occurred to me that it would have been against the Chinese, and certainly not for the reasons one would normally think. Very interesting articles and a hell of an eye-opener too.
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply