gold ring hallmark help

Hi All, I was hoping someone can help with me with a ring hallmark. The ring has 2 hallmarks but they are so tiny. Even with an eye glass I cant see them properly. The middle hallmark definitely looks to be 875. My son has young eyes & seems to think it is also 875 not 375. I have taken so many photo's & still cant get a clear shot.  I will put the best photo up but it is still  a bit blurry. 

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

gold ring hallmark help

Too hard for me to see in the photo but if it's 875, that signifies 21 karat gold.

Gold is measured in parts per thousand. If it's 375 parts per thousand it is equal to 9 carats. 24 carat is pure gold. 375 = 9  550 = 14   750 = 18 950 = 22 and 995 - 999 = 24  is used to signify absolute pure.

An expert may come along and confirm it.

If you haven't already a good magnifying glass helps me with mintmarks on coins.

image host
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

gold ring hallmark help

Thank you kopenhagen, It is definitely 875 & upon closer inspection this morning I can also see another mark which is 21K. I do have a very good jewellers eye glass magnifyer but the marks are so tiny & in such an awkward spot.  There is a mark either side of the 875 & 1 looks like an arrow pointing sideways, the last 1 we cant make out at all...does look a little like an M or a squiggly line or could even be 2 small words. Is there a certain mark for diamonds? Thanks everyone

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

gold ring hallmark help

what a lovely ring, does your camera have a macro setting (looks like a stylized flower with 2 leaves) if you use that we may see the other marks.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

gold ring hallmark help

Hi gem-boy, Yes it is a gorgeous ring.  I have tried with the macro setting but still not clear enough. The marks are in such an awkward  position. I will try again today & see if I can get a clearer photo.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply