fraudulent listing practices

There are many scams perpetrated by ebay sellers (usually they come from ONE particular country!!! You know the one I mean!

Apart from most things being fake and poor quality they are now listing items with photos, and in some cases titles and descriptions that indicate multiple items in the auction (e.g. a photo of 24 arrow heads and wording that implies multiple arrow heads in the listing but when you dig into the details there is often a small entry that says  something like '1 x'  not the multiple in th ephoto etc.

Ebay must have some legal responsibility to enforce the removal of fakes, blackbanning sellers who list fakes or fraudulent listing practices...we can't even report them to ebay as the stupid 'report an itme' categories do not cover shonky practices.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

It's appalling.

There is a misrepresenting item report from memory.

Otherwise you can select help n contact then report member and you get to write your concerns.

image host
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Ebay will only take action against the listing of counterfeit items when a formal complaint is lodged by the copyright holder of such items.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

Those listings can be reported via the Listing practises >  Search and Browse manipulation > then

pick from the most appropriate box.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Unfortunately the options ebay provide in their reporting options do not cover misrepresentation of items. another thing I've seen happening recently is an item appears in a search result with $0 against it but when you click on it the detailed listing has a price against it...not sure how they are manipulating search results but if you try to report it ebay will only see the detailed page not the false summary in the search result.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

No, there isn't a misrepresented item category (not any more) the closest thing is "Inappropriate item description" but the detailed irems in the drop down don't allow for false listing practices...trying to contact ebay via their 'contact us' takes ages as they force you to wade through pages of **bleep** and often you still can't report items if theyare from o\s listings (as most of the Chinese fake\misrepresenting sellers are)

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Not even then. I've had OEM's tell me they have asked ebay to stop listing faked versions of their products but all ebay does is stop that one seller....with the billions of Chinese selling fakes they just create a new id and continue selling and ebay keeps raking in fees (for which they don't pay a fair amount of Au tax if we are to belive the press)...maybe Trump will do something to protect OEM's?

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

@gregd61 wrote:

Unfortunately the options ebay provide in their reporting options do not cover misrepresentation of items. another thing I've seen happening recently is an item appears in a search result with $0 against it but when you click on it the detailed listing has a price against it...not sure how they are manipulating search results but if you try to report it ebay will only see the detailed page not the false summary in the search result.

As stated,you have choices and if you checked the third drop down box after:

Listing practises >  Search and Browse manipulation you have:

Keyword spamming,(for ones that use keywords that are not part of the low cost item).

Misleading title.(for the ones that don't have the low cost item stated in the listing title).

Or: Other Search and Browse manipulation for the ones that do have that item stated but have a lot of other

items at a far higher price,(they manipulate the search and browse via a higher standing in searches due to

having the low cost item).

Others you can report directly via the Help & Contact:

This gives you their direct links without having to go through their rigmarole:

eg: Call us,Call me,Chat with us and Email us.

http://ocsnext.ebay.com.au/ocs/cusr?query=1485

Just keep in mind that Call us or Call me option are only available

during business hours,(8 am to 9 pm Mon to Fri and 8 am to

5 pm on Sat and Sun).

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do as the Chinese are the untouchables. They can do whatever they like with impunity. Most have given up reporting them because its futile.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

I want to create some auto reporting software that can filter out listings and report them.

My biggest annoyance is Chinese sellers saying the item is located in Australian cities when they are based overseas.

My software would filter by location of sellers: China, item location: Australia click run and 40 years later it would have probably be half way through all the misrepresented listings on ebay.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply