Anyone else in Vic copping this wind?

Gusting at 70 km/h here atm, not liking it at all

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Anyone else in Vic copping this wind?

All good here (so far). I think we got the heaviest falls when it rained earlier, which is unusual because it often skirts around us to the south where they need it most today.

When I woke about 6.45 I could smell smoke or ash without even going outside. It was really strong out the front of my place, coming from the west where the Hawkesdale/Penshurt fires are. An hour later there was no smell at all (still isn't) so I was hoping the rain helped put the fires out, but on the ABC tv news the CFA made no mention of the rain. Those blokes would make good politicians - they keep repeating the same things without actually saying anything! I know things are serious but they don't need to dramatise and make things worse than they are!

Our power is due to go off this morning but I suspect they might cancel their planned repairs.
Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

Pleased to read that you are safe  ..... Not a great day for them to be fiddling around with power poles 😞   ..... I find the ABC is not always accurate/up to date re their "fire reporting"  ..... The wind is going to cause more probs this afternoon, particulary if it changes direction

I tend to follow the Warnie Standard, seems to be a tad more accurate and up to date re warnings etc. in my area. Noticed they have opened an emergency evacuation centre in Hamilton so hoping that nothing is going to head my way

Lotsa probs here this morning re fallen trees, wouldnt like to be travelling on the h/way atm  ..... We have a smidge of rain over night, only enough to settle the dust

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

It said 'breaking news' on channel 24 but they could still be a fair bit behind. They've downgraded the alerts around Hawkesdale to Watch and Act.

I just remembered there's a lot of blue gum plantations in the Otways so things won't be easy to control down there.

I checked Powercor's website and there was nothing for my area. They'd be flat out trying to restore power down south.

We didn't get heaps of rain but the ground is definitely wet.

The evacuation centre in Hamilton is probably for people from Hawkesdale. They'd want to move them well out of the way so they don't have to worry about them while doing their jobs.
Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

Penshurst seems to be a bit trouble atm, it's only 30km from Hamilton, so it the wind swings around there really could be trouble

w

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

Hope you Vics are OK there. News from there of bushfires. At this time of year!

Searing temps here in Sydney as well.

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply