Call for regulation of pet food industry

Plastic, mould found in dog food sparks call for regulation of pet food industry

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-16/plastic-mould-in-dog-food-prompts-call-for-industry-regulation...

Seems well over due to me, after all we spend a fortune caring for our loved ones, those making money out of us should be watched to see they are doing the right thing.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Call for regulation of pet food industry

I get really angry with manufacturers of canned cat food that pad out the meals with cereal or rice or vegetables so there's not much meat or fish left in the food. I also want assurances that taurine is included in the food (lack of taurine causes eye and heart diseases).

Cats are carnivores and they require a higher meat content than dogs.  Many years ago Whiskas Aust started adding rice to their standard cat food.  One day I opened a can of jellymeat....and it was nearly all rice.  I complained to the company and I can't have been the only one because suddenly they went back to the old recipies with no rice added.

There's still cat food to be found with vegetables, and you can see the bits of carrot and goodness knows what else.  My cat wouldn't eat it, even if I was silly enough to buy it.  Some cat food with gravy doesn't have much meat or fish pieces in it.  My cat loves those because she likes the gravy, but there's so little solid food in the can she doesn't get them as often as she'd like.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Zanadoo, Choice did testing of canned cat foods.

Click on view more' to see if all requirements are met, including taurine

https://www.choice.com.au/outdoor/pets/products/review-and-compare/wet-cat-food

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

I've seen that assessment before.  Complete wet cat food test it isn't.

I  thought at first it was just what you can buy in the supermarket...but not all those brands are covered, let alone many others available from online pet stores, B&M pet stores and the vet. 

My cat gets a mix of premium dry food and mid range and premium wet food from the supermarket, and premium wet and dry food availabe online and at vets.  Only two cat food companies (Hills and Purina) I buy were covered by the Choice survey.  God knows, there's no shortage of variety of pet foods available these days.  I'm just lucky that my cat likes the good stuff.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply