Cave Rescue

i have been watching the brilliant work being done to rescue this small group of boys and their coach from the cave.

so many have come together and are working tirelesly to hopefully get them all out alive, and back with their familys.

however,

after listening to our foriegn minister going on about how our govt is offering every possible aid to the cause i cant help thinking,

what if this same group were in a rickitty boat floating off our northern coast?

whould we be seeing the same compassion?

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Cave Rescue

marwi5023
Community Member
Springyzone, is he as a junior boys football coach in a paid position or a volunteer as he would be in this country?
Have you never made a mistake that with foresight could have been prevented?
The group had to go further into the cave because of the rising water.
I think ten days stuck in a cold wet dark cave is punishment enough considering his major concern would have been that he had killed these boys and himself.
The boys probably wanted to go in the cave.
He apparently gave them all his food probably full of guilt for the position they were in.
There are a lot more people that desperately need to be shot before this guy. If we are shooting people, please start with me.
I hate this **bleep** world I was born into
Message 21 of 45
Latest reply

Cave Rescue

Yeah I was just kidding.  Thanks for the updates.

Great to see a happy ending.

Frogs or Poms, what a choice...go Croatia!

Message 22 of 45
Latest reply

Cave Rescue

I find that offensive as everyone that lives in this country is blamed for crimes that the early settlers committed,(

reverse racism at it's finest).

We are nothing like the terrorist and to try and compare Aussies to them is vile and disgusting.

Message 23 of 45
Latest reply

Cave Rescue

@marwi5023 wrote:
Springyzone, is he as a junior boys football coach in a paid position or a volunteer as he would be in this country?
Have you never made a mistake that with foresight could have been prevented?
The group had to go further into the cave because of the rising water.
I think ten days stuck in a cold wet dark cave is punishment enough considering his major concern would have been that he had killed these boys and himself.
The boys probably wanted to go in the cave.
He apparently gave them all his food probably full of guilt for the position they were in.
There are a lot more people that desperately need to be shot before this guy. If we are shooting people, please start with me.
I hate this **bleep** world I was born into

I did say that i didn't mean it literally.

But there is no escaping the fact he made a bad mistake. Sure, they went further into the cave to escape rising water but for goodness sakes, how far in were they when that happened? What narrow passages had they passed through?

If they had only been a little way in, they could easily have got out before being cut off.

The boys probably did want to go into the cave but he was the adult, he was the one who needed to stop & think and say no. I doubt he knew his way through the caving system but even if he did, it is not where you take a young, inexperienced group. From what i read, they were meant to be on a bike ride.

He should have stuck to his brief.

Whether he was paid or a volunteer, he was in charge of a group of boys and basically, he was an idiot.

That doesn't make him a bad person, it doesn't make him an unkind person & no doubt he was filled with remorse. So he should have been, because the bottom line is someone else has died trying to rescue these people, from a situation that would have been avoided by just about any other carer.

Message 24 of 45
Latest reply

Cave Rescue

Yeah, so he made a mistake   ..... Im sure he did the best he knew how at the time    ..... I am also sure he has  beaten himself up a million times, no need for everyone else to jump on the bandwagon

Have you never done something you have later regretted?, I sure have, many times

Message 25 of 45
Latest reply

Cave Rescue

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

Yeah, so he made a mistake   ..... Im sure he did the best he knew how at the time    ..... I am also sure he has  beaten himself up a million times, no need for everyone else to jump on the bandwagon

Have you never done something you have later regretted?, I sure have, many times

Sure I have. Never in that category though.

I wasn't aware there was any bandwagon. I haven't heard or read anything much in the way of recriminations.

I'm not an unreasonable person. I realise he made an error of judgement and it was not deliberate.

But it was a really bad error of judgement, taking a group so far into a caving system where they could have got lost or injured, even if they had not been cut off by water.

In society, we walk a bit of a tight rope. On the one hand, we can punish people too harshly. On the other, we can also be too lenient with the person who puts others in danger and we can make excuses for them.

His actions put a lot of lives at risk, caused enormous effort, risk & expense and cost the life of one other person. On some level he needs to be held accountable.

I used to teach. I'm darned sure that if we turned this around and I had been the one who, on the spur of the moment,decided to lead a small group of students into a cave and this happened, you'd be crying out for me to lose my job at the very least.

Message 26 of 45
Latest reply

Cave Rescue

@springyzone wrote:

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

Sure I have. Never in that category though.

I wasn't aware there was any bandwagon. I haven't heard or read anything much in the way of recriminations.

I'm not an unreasonable person. I realise he made an error of judgement and it was not deliberate.

But it was a really bad error of judgement, taking a group so far into a caving system where they could have got lost or injured, even if they had not been cut off by water.

In society, we walk a bit of a tight rope. On the one hand, we can punish people too harshly. On the other, we can also be too lenient with the person who puts others in danger and we can make excuses for them.

His actions put a lot of lives at risk, caused enormous effort, risk & expense and cost the life of one other person. On some level he needs to be held accountable.

I used to teach. I'm darned sure that if we turned this around and I had been the one who, on the spur of the moment,decided to lead a small group of students into a cave and this happened, you'd be crying out for me to lose my job at the very least.

Actually NO I wouldn't, just shows you that you can never be sure how another person would react   ..... 

Message 27 of 45
Latest reply

Cave Rescue

@go-tazz wrote:

I find that offensive as everyone that lives in this country is blamed for crimes that the early settlers committed,(

We are nothing like the terrorist and to try and compare Aussies to them is vile and disgusting.

No one is comparing Aussies to terrorists. The cartoon is show how some people are hypocrites, they complain about refugees arriving here illegally on boats when there is a good chance that's what their ancestors did. The British turned up took over without asking permission. Australia was colonialised not settled. No one is personally blaming you, me or anyone else for what the ""settlers" did,  Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islanders want the acknowledgement of what happened in our history. Acknowledgement of what happened is not an admission of guilt. That is not racism

On side note, sick of seeing the words offensive or offend. Everyone seems to be offended nowadays.

Message 28 of 45
Latest reply

Cave Rescue

@go-tazz wrote:

?????????????????????????????????

Message 29 of 45
Latest reply

Cave Rescue

@go-tazz wrote:

i'm pretty sure the people who were here before white settlers rolled into town arnt being blamed for their own murders on a grand scale.

i would think those people felt pretty much terrorised at the time and their decendants are still being misstreated quite widely.

are we not just a little like terrorists to the aborginals in this country?

are we not turning and looking the other way when stories of nasty things being done to them 'for their own good of course' are being made public.

when we tell them to go get together and decide what you want then bring that document to us, and they do, they spend many months with meetings amongst themselves hammering out a proposal, bring it to the great white leaders in canberra, who screw it up and say, nope, not interested, now bugga off.

its 2018 and we still treat aboriginals as second class citizens.

how glad am i that i was born into middleclass white society.

Message 30 of 45
Latest reply