Citizenship crisis: Government threatens to send MPs to HC.

Citizenship crisis: Labor threatens to 'go nuclear' if Government refers MPs to High Court

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-12/government-could-refer-labor-mps-to-high-court/9142306

So Mr Nice Turnbull is showing his true colours at last. sick of defending his own sorry bunch of no hopers, now hes going to start attacking labor MPs. even though he hasnt got any real evidence they are guilty of anything.

does he not recall his attack on Bill Shorten re: his citizenship?

how he bellowed in parlement for Bill, to put up or shut up! and well, Bill did put up and he was NOT a dual citizen, malcolm was WRONG as usual.

with the Govt now not having the NUMBERS to govern, we should be having an election, ASAP! at this rate there will be no one left sitting on the GOVT side!

the Liberal/National party is making a mokery of governing this country!

Where the heck is the GOVENOR GENERAL?

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

so far, only people with citezenship of nice countrys have been found,

like britain, new zealand and canada.

whould the people saying oh, its not a problem, they are fine people.

if all these DC people were from muslim countrys?

i suspect there would be a totally different outcry.

Message 11 of 42
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

if all these DC people were from muslim countrys?

i suspect there would be a totally different outcry.

How many in our government bodies are.

Muslim.

Message 12 of 42
Latest reply

If they are also Australian citizens then why should they not be able to go into the Australian Parliament?

As long as they renounce their dual citizenship there is no barrier to them entering Parliament anyway.

Iraq, Syria and Egypt do recognise dual citizenship so Australian citizens from those countries would have to renounce their citizenship but people from Iran and Afghanistan loose their citizenship automatically and there is no barrier to them entering Parliament here in Australia.

As far as people from Commonwealth countries....that really is a lot of baloney.

Message 13 of 42
Latest reply

Yep, same as Shorten did.  

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that the Labor party's preselection vetting is fairly on the ball about the citizenship issue.

Message 15 of 42
Latest reply

Oh, and just to stir a bit......

When the Constitution was written, there were NO Australian Citizens.  All Australians were British citizens (as were NZers and Canadians etc...) so to my mind, if your dual citienship is with Britian or a Commonwealth country, then you still fulfil the criteria of the Constitition.  

Pity the High Court doesn't see it that way😀

Message 16 of 42
Latest reply

I could not agree more ambercat.

There should be no requirement for people to renounce citizenship of a Commonwealth country.

Message 17 of 42
Latest reply

Malcolm Turnbull is at his weakest and the conservatives are circling

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-13/malcolm-turnbull-circled-by-conservatives/9136960

its worse than i thought.

i doubt mal will get a job running a foody van after this is over.

Message 18 of 42
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I could not agree more ambercat.

There should be no requirement for people to renounce citizenship of a Commonwealth country.

we cant work with what should be's and what could be's.

we must work with 'what are's'

the laws/rules are there now, cant be changed without going to the people.

people unlikely to give change the thumbs up.

why, well we have seen the scare campaign over same sex marriage, we would be given nightmare senarios of what will happen if we allow anyone regardless of citizenship into parliment. people will say, well the current sytem worked fine for 100 years, lets just tell the pollies to get their act together and stop being lazy with the paperwork.

problem solved.

Message 19 of 42
Latest reply

Sorry Dave, but you remind me a lot of Hillary's crowd all sooking away because she was rejected by the people and lost the election to Trump. They just cant get over it and keep on stamping their little feet crying " its not fair", Hillary was heaps better than Trump, why did the people reject her ?."

Face it. Wether you like it or not Mal is Prime minister of Australia and Shorty is just another jumped up little union hack in opposition. He may eventually get his turn in the big seat, he may not, but for now Mals the man with his hand on the levers. And for what its worth, I would much rather have him running the show than shorty and his bunch of corrupt, self indulged, incompetant, tired old union mates. 

The GG is not going to step in unless formally requested by Parliment, through a succesfull vote of no confidence in the current government. The independants have indicated they will support the government on issues of confidence and supply, so at the moment that does not look likely to happen. There have been plenty of governments including recent Labor governments who have run full term in minority Government, so there are plenty of recent precedents to show this is becoming the norm, rather than the exception.

If its good enough for Liberals to be reffered to the high court over citizenship, its good enough for Labor to accept the same standards.

Message 20 of 42
Latest reply