Citizenship crisis: Government threatens to send MPs to HC.

Citizenship crisis: Labor threatens to 'go nuclear' if Government refers MPs to High Court

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-12/government-could-refer-labor-mps-to-high-court/9142306

So Mr Nice Turnbull is showing his true colours at last. sick of defending his own sorry bunch of no hopers, now hes going to start attacking labor MPs. even though he hasnt got any real evidence they are guilty of anything.

does he not recall his attack on Bill Shorten re: his citizenship?

how he bellowed in parlement for Bill, to put up or shut up! and well, Bill did put up and he was NOT a dual citizen, malcolm was WRONG as usual.

with the Govt now not having the NUMBERS to govern, we should be having an election, ASAP! at this rate there will be no one left sitting on the GOVT side!

the Liberal/National party is making a mokery of governing this country!

Where the heck is the GOVENOR GENERAL?

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

@chameleon54 wrote:

"If its good enough for Liberals to be reffered to the high court over citizenship, its good enough for Labor to accept the same standards"

One law for the LNP another for everyone else:

http://tasmaniantimes.com/index.php/article/the-net-tightens-...-abetz-and-his-german-citizenship-an...

https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/eric-abetz-the-greens-and-s44-why-the-dou...

Message 21 of 42
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

Face it. Wether you like it or not Mal is Prime minister of Australia and Shorty is just another jumped up little union hack in opposition. He may eventually get his turn in the big seat, he may not, but for now Mals the man with his hand on the levers. And for what its worth, I would much rather have him running the show than shorty and his bunch of corrupt, self indulged, incompetant, tired old union mates. 

SUSSAN LEY

Stood-aside Health Minister Sussan Ley purchased a luxury $795,000 Main Beach apartment during a taxpayer funded work trip. She also travelled to the Gold Coast at least 17 times between 2013 and last year, costing taxpayers more than $40,000, including successive New Year’s Eve celebrations. Says she will pay back a portion of claims.

STUART ROBERT

Former assistant defence minister Stuart Robert resigned from the frontbench last year after revelations he flew to China for the signing of a mining deal involving Liberal Party donor Paul Marks. The Gold Coast MP owned shares in a company that owned a percentage of Marks’ Nimrod Resources. Robert also repaid $1600 he billed taxpayers to visit the site of a goldmining company in which he had bought shares. Robert also paid back $354 to attend Liberal MP Steve Irons’s wedding.

JOHN SHARP, PETER McGAURAN AND DAVID JULL

In 1997, the senior Coalition trio was forced to resign their ministerial posts for so-called “irregularities” in their travel allowances during the “travel rorts affair”.

BARNABY JOYCE

Deputy PM repaid $650 claimed to attend broadcaster Michael Smith’s wedding in 2011. Joyce also claimed $5500 to attend an Indian wedding at Gina Rinehart’s invitation the same year.

STEVE IRONS

The West Australian MP charged taxpayers $2300 in flights to attend his own wedding in Melbourne. He paid the money back, saying it was claimed in error. In 2013, it was reported that he had spent almost 130 nights in Melbourne and 20 nights in Adelaide in a two-year period. One of the nights he spent in Melbourne coincided with the AFL debut match of his son Jarrad for Port Adelaide in round one of the 2011 season.

BRONWYN BISHOP

The former Speaker repaid $5227 in 2015 after chartering a helicopter from Melbourne to Geelong to attend a Liberal Party fundraiser. Bishop also claimed flights to the wedding of former Liberal MP Sophie Mirabella and travel allowance for wedding of another ex-MP Teresa Gambaro.

TONY ABBOTT

Former PM repaid $1695 after claiming entitlements to attend the weddings of Sophie Mirabella and Peter Slipper. Abbott’s publisher, Melbourne University Press, also paid back $9400 in travel expenses used to promote his book Battlelines.

Message 22 of 42
Latest reply

i allready said, its not a metter of labor vs liberal here, we are talking about running the country.

of course if there are labor MPs who were DCs at the last election they too should be OUT.

my argument is are we expected to pay for who knows how many bye elections to 'fix' this or would it be a better option just to disolve parliment and hold a general election?

let them all go off and sort their paperworks out, then come back and we vote, thats democracy isnt it?

Message 23 of 42
Latest reply

Citizenship crisis: Greens back Turnbull's move to refer Labor MPs to High Court

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-13/citizenship-crisis-greens-back-move-to-refer-labor-to-high-cou...

the greens should learn from history, jumping into bed with the lib/nat party can cause little partys to implode.

remember the democrats?

Message 24 of 42
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

i allready said, its not a metter of labor vs liberal here, we are talking about running the country.

of course if there are labor MPs who were DCs at the last election they too should be OUT.

my argument is are we expected to pay for who knows how many bye elections to 'fix' this or would it be a better option just to disolve parliment and hold a general election?

let them all go off and sort their paperworks out, then come back and we vote, thats democracy isnt it?

OK OK David, your argument has some minor merit, but the cost of a dozen bye-elections is going to be a heck of a lot cheaper than a full blown federal election. The other reason it is unlikely to happen is that we all know if the Liberals where to go to an election under the current chaos in parliment, they would be likely to lose, so why would they do that if they didnt have to ?

If it was Labor in power, struggling to maintain the vote in parliment, we all know they would hang on for grim death and avoid an election too, clinging to power until forced from office. ..................Just another one of the grubby facts of politics I,m afraid.

Message 25 of 42
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

@davidc4430 wrote:

OK OK David, your argument has some minor merit, but the cost of a dozen bye-elections is going to be a heck of a lot cheaper than a full blown federal election. The other reason it is unlikely to happen is that we all know if the Liberals where to go to an election under the current chaos in parliment, they would be likely to lose, so why would they do that if they didnt have to ?

If it was Labor in power, struggling to maintain the vote in parliment, we all know they would hang on for grim death and avoid an election too, clinging to power until forced from office. ..................Just another one of the grubby facts of politics I,m afraid.

yes, a X number of bye elections would be cheaper than a complete new election.

but regardless of how many bye elections it takes to sort this mess out, we will still be up for a full election when? not that far off now is it?

thats partly why i say, disolve parliment now, get your houses in order then we vote. new start, 4 more years (unless we stuff it up again) before the next election.

as for labor and taking power by the slimest of margins. i was totally against Julia Gillards 'deal' to take power when she did.

and we know how that turned out dont we?

Message 26 of 42
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

@chameleon54 wrote:

yes, a X number of bye elections would be cheaper than a complete new election.

but regardless of how many bye elections it takes to sort this mess out, we will still be up for a full election when? not that far off now is it?

thats partly why i say, disolve parliment now, get your houses in order then we vote. new start, 4 more years (unless we stuff it up again) before the next election.

as for labor and taking power by the slimest of margins. i was totally against Julia Gillards 'deal' to take power when she did.

and we know how that turned out dont we?

Yes, the Julia Gillard experiment was genuinly a very dissapointing period in Australian politics. I must admit, in the years leading up to her Prime ministership, while I didnt agree with her politics, I thought she was a strong, capable woman who had Prime Minister potential. I was secretly quite pleased when she took the top job, as I thought she might blaze a trail for capable woman in politics.

Unfortunately she immediatly became a puppet for the left wing, back room boys losing her independance and personal strength. Many would argue that Malcolm Turnbull has been affected in the same way and is now a lame duck leader, beholden to the party machine.

We seem to have had a run of leaders who lack the vision and strength to stand up and lead. While we may not like Tony Abbotts politics, he did at least have a bit of backbone, as did Paul Keating, Bob Hawke and John Howard.

Message 27 of 42
Latest reply

we have indeed had a series of leaders with little or no control over their politics.

the exception was T Abbott.

but i believe what caused julia and to a lesser degree malcoms troubles were that they were leading govts with slender margins of seats. meaning they were/are constantly under threat of rebelion.

that said julia did some great stuff during her time, considering she had T Abbott sitting opposite her in parliment being a negative force we hadnt seen before in parliment.

plus she had a section of the media hell bent on destroying her.

unless one side or the other can convince the people to trust them and therefore give them a true majority in the parliment, no more deals with minor partys, we wont see stable govt.

BTW, T Abbott may have had a majority but he took that to mean he could break every promise he made during the election, he discovered we the people hate liers in politics! or guys who eat raw onions thinking it looks cool

Message 28 of 42
Latest reply

Citizenship deal struck as Turnbull Government faces further upheaval on front bench and in polls

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-13/citizenship-deal-struck-as-turnbull-faces-further-upheaval/914...

so turnbull caves to labor demands only a day after threatening war!

again he looks weak as a leader.

labor called his bluff and he folded!

he fired his canons but they seemed to be loaded with wet paper.

malcom cant take a stand and hold for 24 hours, hes so weak.

Message 29 of 42
Latest reply

Citizenship saga: Senator Jacqui Lambie could be the next to leave Parliament

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-13/jacqui-lambies-departure-from-parliament-could-be-imminent/914...

Message 30 of 42
Latest reply