Cornice job

Would like some opinions please.  Recently had some renovations done.  There was a few issues with the cornice work during the time and it was mentioned to the builder and fixed somewhat..  The last work was cornice to the kitchen area.  I was informed that the job wouldn't be perfect due to some sagging to the ceiling.  ok... .I noticed the cornice guy re measuring every piece that he had cut a few weeks earlier and new pieces had to be ordered.   Every piece he fitted was taking forever and I was getting impatient as I wanted the job done especially when they were on an hourly rate.  Final piece goes up I notice that there is a join.  Asked the builder and he said some measurement was wrong and I pulled him up and told him that there was a full length that had been cut a few weeks earlier.  Cornice guy stuffs up again.  Paid the bill as I was just so over it.  Today I'm ready to paint the cornice and notice that the 850mm join  isn't straight and has a difference of 15mm from one side to the other.  

I don't want them back as it didn't end well.  Should I get someone else in to pull that section down and redo it with 1 piece and send the builder the bill.  Or just get over it

Can't attach pic

tip toe through the tulips
Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Cornice job

Wow! You paid them before doing a proper inspection of work done?!!

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Cornice job

It will be very time consuming and is not a straight forward thing to take of 'set' cornice. Lots of fiddly scraping etc......could damage both ceiling and wall in the process.

Honestly? If you don't  want to tackle/confront the guilty party again I would 'fill-in' the obvious gap in the cornice pieces with a filler. Do a little bit at a time,in stages  (no more than 5mm higher than needed) allowing it to dry, lightly sand to level area then lightly paint over with same paint used.

Then live with the unstraight, unlevel cornice and your lesson learntSmiley Wink

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Cornice job

As mentioned it didn't end well.  I told them I wasn't happy with the cornice and he threatended to get the guy to pull it all done.  I just wanted them gone.

At the time my attention was drawn to the join and I'm now cursing myself I didn't notice it not straight.  It's just today I was up on the ladder to start painting the cornice and I measured.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Cornice job

CORNICE.jpg

Hope this pic works.  The cornice area.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Cornice job

Should I get someone else in to pull that section down and redo it with 1 piece and send the builder the bill.  Or just get over it

No, you would have to have an agreement with the builder and provide quotes first ( voluntary agreement or forced through a tribunal case) to be able to do that. They could throw the bill in the bin.

Really need to be satisfied with bill for work done before paying. Could have asked for a discount if not satisfied or insisted on proper job.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Cornice job

@paintsew007 wrote:

It will be very time consuming and is not a straight forward thing to take of 'set' cornice. Lots of fiddly scraping etc......could damage both ceiling and wall in the process.

Honestly? If you don't  want to tackle/confront the guilty party again I would 'fill-in' the obvious gap in the cornice pieces with a filler. Do a little bit at a time,in stages  (no more than 5mm higher than needed) allowing it to dry, lightly sand to level area then lightly paint over with same paint used.

Then live with the unstraight, unlevel cornice and your lesson learntSmiley Wink

Is the cornice directly opposite the entrance to the room?  If not I would do as paintsew suggests.

Few people would notice your finished handiwork to the cornice if it is not pointed out  to them

I'm not sure what the "brown" area is in your picture, but if it is new gyprock, don't forget to paint with a sealer before doing the actual paint finish.

It seems a pity that a new ceiling wasn't included in your renos.

It's a very stressful time having renovations done around you.  But is worth it in the long run.  Smiley Happy

DEB

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Cornice job

I had a small similar situation and called in a gyprock guy to fix it
It cost $80.
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Cornice job

Thanks for pic.Glad you posted I was assuming that the problem was at the butt joint end. Yes I reckon the actual problem is that the guy used the wrong width cornice as it does not seem to be match up on the 'left' side to start. Sure, there is a widening within the area as you travel along to the right but if an 'over width' piece of cornice had been used to start, this could have been custom 'shaved' to fit the space/position exactly.

A carp lazy effort imo by whoever did this.Looks awful over your main entrance doesn't it?!

I would be complaining and taking action. Get some 2-3 quotes and opinions to fix from other operators.Put in writing your complaint include several pics with some more close ups and copies of further quotes. Send one copy letter and attached pics and quotes to the guilty party and submit 2nd copy to your State Govt Dept that handles these consumer complaints.

I'd be demanding that guilty party cough up cost of having someone else redo the job properly.....and refund of their stuff up too actually.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Cornice job

j*oono
Community Member

If you can get it fixed as cheaply as Azureline did then do it, but otherwise the eye is drawn to the pigeon hole cupboard and once it's all painted up I don't think it will really be noticed.

Joono
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply