DIY Help with wall plugs please

I need some help with a small job.

I bought a tilt and swivel tv bracket for the guest room. The tv is small, maybe 5 kg's.

So, I went to the hardware store, aka Masters...............but all the clever people were gone home.

The wall is gyprock and there are no studs where it has to go.

So, I purchased some plaster board anchors that are self tapping and had screws that fit. Unfortunately, it felt very insecure when I pulled out and tilted the tv, so I have removed them again.

(The bracket came with bigger screws and those plastic plugs that you use for brick walls.)

What do you use?

I don't want to have to ask anyone  here because they will then take over and do it.................and I want to do it myself.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

@joz*garage wrote:

There really are no studs to use as the wall is too narrow and the height is restrictive due to optimum viewing height.

how do you know there are no studs to where you want to mount the tv?

if the studs are made of metal. you can find them by using a magnet, and are the best secure area to mount a heavy object safely

if not, i would suggest to use 150lb snap tobble bolts on dry walls

or swallow that ego and let somebody else do the job who knows what theyre doing

I have a stud finder............ and the wall is about 600mm wide. The studs are on the sides, the cross ones? are not at a suitable height.

Nothing to do with ego, I just like DIY sometimes.

The somebodys who "know" what they are doing are not amenable to a minimalist look. They are more likely to want to glue and screw a plate on the wall the same size as the tv.

Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

Az perhaps a picture of the bracket you have got might be in order ๐Ÿ™‚

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

the bracket in the link realy needs to be screwed to a stud. 

The distance from the wall to the TV has a lot of leverage and will pull a hole through the gyprock if not fixed to a stud.

Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

something that fixes flat to the wall will work ok with these as the weight is mainly trying to slide down the wall. Something that cantelivers and swings outs is going to put forward strain on these and they can eventually pull through the plasterboard.. So the more fixings you can install to spread the load the better. Especially on top edge of the mount

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

Those would be ok fixed to a brick wall. there's no way that plaster sheet will support the leverage effect of a TV.if you can not mount it screwed to 2 studs than best not to mount it.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

Simply take a piece of suitable plywood that fits between the end walls of the area, and secure it to the studs at the ends.  Paint it an inobtrusive color, then attach the mount to the plywood.

I've been fortunate, both of my flat screens' mounts were able to be screwed to 2x6 studs with 3" lag bolts.

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

This is the one I used for my 42"...............

medium01.jpg

The TV has 4 slotted discs that fit into the slots, two screws underneath are for leveling, and two small plates over the top slots keep the TV secured.   Just by loosening those plates, I can remove the TV.  I paid 29.99 for this one.........

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-accessories/lg-LSW400BG-wall-mount

Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

Simply take a piece of suitable plywood that fits between the end walls of the area, and secure it to the studs at the ends.  Paint it an inobtrusive color, then attach the mount to the plywood.

I've been fortunate, both of my flat screens' mounts were able to be screwed to 2x6 studs with 3" lag bolts.

but but, this wont go with her decor

Signatures suck.
Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

but but, this wont go with her decor

It's behind the TV for heaven's sake.........Smiley Very Happy

Can you see my wall mount?

lg.jpg

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply