DIY Help with wall plugs please

I need some help with a small job.

I bought a tilt and swivel tv bracket for the guest room. The tv is small, maybe 5 kg's.

So, I went to the hardware store, aka Masters...............but all the clever people were gone home.

The wall is gyprock and there are no studs where it has to go.

So, I purchased some plaster board anchors that are self tapping and had screws that fit. Unfortunately, it felt very insecure when I pulled out and tilted the tv, so I have removed them again.

(The bracket came with bigger screws and those plastic plugs that you use for brick walls.)

What do you use?

I don't want to have to ask anyone  here because they will then take over and do it.................and I want to do it myself.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

but but, this wont go with her decor

It's behind the TV for heaven's sake.........Smiley Very Happy

Can you see my wall mount?

lg.jpg

her tv is small, but i think poddy's idea using a lump of wood secured to the studs would also be ideal.. if the op was to dolly it up to blend in to her wall 

Signatures suck.
Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

That's why I suggested a piece of plywood............to spread the load.  The wall is only about 24 inches wide, so a piece that long, and tall enough to mount the screws, would be virtually invisible.

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

altho the plywood is not exposed on your wall mount, it might be for the op's... coz her bracket swivels

coupled with using 150lb snap toggle bolts.. it should work well straight on dry walls, if the op is prepared to tidy up the plywood with a lick of paint.... if its exposed 

Signatures suck.
Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

Ok that looks like a good idea but the rear of the TV will be visible from the entry point to the room, I may be able to buy a different bracket and use a backing plate.
Thanks everyone, I won't mount it as is.
Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

altho the plywood is not exposed on your wall mount, it might be for the op's... coz her bracket swivels

Mine isn't exposed, because I didn't use plywood...........and yes, I suggested she paint it an inobtrusive color.

Oh, and for the OP......they make corner wall mounts for flat screens, too..........

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

Mine isn't exposed, because I didn't use plywood.

well, bracket then

hers differs

Signatures suck.
Message 26 of 26
Latest reply