Eurovision 2018

Can Australia take the criticism as well as it dishes it out?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-14/eurovision-2018-why-not-jessica/9757722

i'm not a eurovision fan, and i think australia should not be in it.

but putting that aside, to me eurovision has become just another forum for political statements, the fun of the contest is gone.

now the artist needs to be giving a 'message'

no longer can it be a pure pop song that you could sing along to or dance to that wins.

and just who can remember a song that won from the last 10 years? or longer?

as for 2018, the winning song is just about good enough to scare galahs from crops.

and jess balboys was just as bad. the best artists dont need flashing lights or crazy dances or revealing costumes. they can just stand there and sing! IMO

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Eurovision 2018

@davidc4430 wrote:

Can Australia take the criticism as well as it dishes it out?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-14/eurovision-2018-why-not-jessica/9757722

i'm not a eurovision fan, and i think australia should not be in it.

but putting that aside, to me eurovision has become just another forum for political statements, the fun of the contest is gone.

now the artist needs to be giving a 'message'

no longer can it be a pure pop song that you could sing along to or dance to that wins.

and just who can remember a song that won from the last 10 years? or longer?

as for 2018, the winning song is just about good enough to scare galahs from crops.

and jess balboys was just as bad. the best artists dont need flashing lights or crazy dances or revealing costumes. they can just stand there and sing! IMO

From what I've read, no Australia can't take it (....which I think is hilarious).

The songs really are mediocre...and they have been for years.  Mind  you, sometimes it is deliberate.  It's not just Ireland that produced a song they didn't want to win after a run of successes.  A UK friend who used to work for the BBC said that Eurovision is so expensive to produce that some countries don't want to win it, UK included, so putting up a bad song is a strategic move.

In the olden days (at least back when Cliff Richard sang Congratulations and later the Shadows' Let Me Be the One) a choice of songs were on offer to vote for in a country and the winning one was the song that went to Eurovision.  I remember in 1968 Cliff singing a song a week on Cilla Black's TV series and the UK viewers voted on which one they liked.  In 1975 when the Shadows sang for Eurovision all the potential UK entries were on their LP Specs Appeal.  As you can imagine, it's not one of their best albums!

Now Oz is in the whole thing but the rules have changed and we don't get to choose what song represents our country.  Oh well.  It's the same elsewhere so I guess that's why the songs are mostly rubbish.

I've read that Eurovision Asia will debut in Oct this year and Australia has signed up for it with 11 other countries so far.  That makes more sense.  Whether it ends up continuing every year remains to be seen I guess.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Eurovision 2018

Wouldn't surprise me if it becomes the Vision World Song contest one day.

image host
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Eurovision 2018

Frankly I,ve always tought it was a bit bizzarre that Australia was a regular entrant in the Eurovision. While we have plenty of people of European decent in Australia, we are a million miles away from Europe geographicaly, politically ( Queen Elizabeth who ? )  and socially. Basically our entrance in the Eurovision is just another bit of weak, wimpy, socially inclusive, PC bulldust.

Its time we stood up and took pride in our own identity as a nation and stopped cringing and apologising to everyone.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Eurovision 2018

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I think it's cringeworthy that Jessica Mauboy was quoted in the press as saying

she is Australia's Beyonce!!!!

Say what again??

We were invited as a guest a couple of years ago. 

We're not in Europe, so give it up people.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Eurovision 2018

"the winning song is just about good enough to scare galahs from crops"

gigglepuss.gif

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Eurovision 2018

Did jessica really say she had "whiplash" from a 'hairflick'?

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/jessica-mauboy-feeling-confident-ahead-of-eurovision-despite...

that must be one for the record books.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Eurovision 2018

@chameleon54 wrote:

Frankly I,ve always tought it was a bit bizzarre that Australia was a regular entrant in the Eurovision.

I wouldn't say Australia has been a regular entrant - this is actually only the third time we have competed and the competition has been going since 1956. 

Having said that, I agree that Australia's participation is bizarre - but not as bizarre as the winning 'song' this year!!

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Eurovision 2018

Perhaps it's partly because Eurovision has had so many Australians participating but for different countries.

The Seekers, Olivia Newton John, Jane Comerford, Anja Nissen, Johnny Logan, Gina G and a whole list of Aussie songwriters written for contestants around the world.

I think Julia Zemiro and SBS had a lot to do with Aus being involved.

image host
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Eurovision 2018

@imastawka wrote:

I think it's cringeworthy that Jessica Mauboy was quoted in the press as saying

she is Australia's Beyonce!!!!

Say what again??

We were invited as a guest a couple of years ago. 

We're not in Europe, so give it up people.

Australia's Beyonce.  LOL  Yes...if she was taller, thinner, more glamorous...and wore much less clothes.  I'm not saying anything about either of their singing beyond I don't see any comparison.

It's like saying Delta is Olivia in that TV biopic.  Oh no she isn't.  Not now, not ever.  Not even close.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply