Fancy Food

I saw this report online, it was a summary of one woman's upmarket meal.

Admittedly, it was probably a once in a lifetime experience with a top chef and  champagne, but it cost $799 for 2. It consisted of 5 small courses. The dessert looked fancy but the other 4 courses all looked a bit light on to me. 

I realise gourmet courses are not usually large but all the same, for $400 I would not be happy to go home hungry. The woman didn't like one small serve she had (fish). Said it was mushy and did not smell good so she left it. I'd be forcing it down at that price!

But I just thought I'd throw the first course out here for discussion.

What do you think of this? The woman was waxing lyrical about the plating but I think it is dreadful.

The edible bits are those 2 small yellowish pieces, artichoke.

All the rest is just decoration, inedible.

I have a problem with that, I don't think it should be on the plate if it is not edible. Or certainly not as the main ingredient on the plate!

Michelin chef or not, the plating is a fail from me. Mind you, I can't say I do fine dining at this level. Went to a couple of high teas recently, that's about as good as it gets for me.

artichoke one bite.PNG

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Fancy Food

I’d present an Easter egg in that way — not a starter dish. I am not impressed.

I also think that $400 is too much money to pay for such food.

One might — as a special experience, rare-in-a-lifetime — pay a significant amount for a fine dining experience. But it would have to be truly amazing food, and one would have to be completely satisfied (palate-wise, gastronomically, and satiation-wise). Of course, for people whose wealth can easily bear such an expenditure, it’s their business about what they buy… but I’d be embarrassed to spend money on pretentious food presentation, as opposed to genuinely beautiful or exciting food presentation.

I‘d also be embarrassed in such a case if I weren’t doing something significant about world hunger.

For a Heston Blumenthal meal (like that wonderful mediæval dinner party, or the Mad Hatter’s one), all right … I could see myself eating beans on toast for two or three weeks to offset the dinner cost. For a messy “chucked some weeds and hay on a plate and then put some squiggly little artichoke thingies on top” dish…. no. 

It doesn’t please my eye. There are an awful lot of would-be masters of food presentation and not every new idea is good.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Fancy Food

I would not be impressed either, springy, although I do like artichokes. 🙂

Aesthetically, nope, I don't think it looks great at all. It looks like a dish for a goat.  😂

papermoonlady_0-1666831401535.jpeg

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

Fancy Food

I’d present an Easter egg in that way — not a starter dish. I am not impressed.

I also think that $400 is too much money to pay for such food.

One might — as a special experience, rare-in-a-lifetime — pay a significant amount for a fine dining experience. But it would have to be truly amazing food, and one would have to be completely satisfied (palate-wise, gastronomically, and satiation-wise). Of course, for people whose wealth can easily bear such an expenditure, it’s their business about what they buy… but I’d be embarrassed to spend money on pretentious food presentation, as opposed to genuinely beautiful or exciting food presentation.

I‘d also be embarrassed in such a case if I weren’t doing something significant about world hunger.

For a Heston Blumenthal meal (like that wonderful mediæval dinner party, or the Mad Hatter’s one), all right … I could see myself eating beans on toast for two or three weeks to offset the dinner cost. For a messy “chucked some weeds and hay on a plate and then put some squiggly little artichoke thingies on top” dish…. no. 

It doesn’t please my eye. There are an awful lot of would-be masters of food presentation and not every new idea is good.

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

Fancy Food

"It looks like a dish for a goat!" 

What an excellent description!

gigglepuss.gif

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

Fancy Food

I'm not sure the goat would agree. lol

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

Fancy Food

But then again, goats would eat anything ... 😃

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

Fancy Food

What is it supposed to represent? A bonfire or something? Or is it just "abstract art"?

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

Fancy Food

@tasfleur wrote:

But then again, goats would eat anything ... 😃

True! https://zooatlanta.org/what-goats-really-eat/#:~:text=Goats%20get%20their%20reputation%20for,and%20s...

And now the dish has a name inspired by the article above... ROUGHAGE! Roughage with fried artichoke hearts... 🤣

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

Fancy Food

206B2635-70C8-4027-800E-D22AF0106BD7.jpeg

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

Fancy Food

They should have rung Babette

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply