Fancy Food

I saw this report online, it was a summary of one woman's upmarket meal.

Admittedly, it was probably a once in a lifetime experience with a top chef and  champagne, but it cost $799 for 2. It consisted of 5 small courses. The dessert looked fancy but the other 4 courses all looked a bit light on to me. 

I realise gourmet courses are not usually large but all the same, for $400 I would not be happy to go home hungry. The woman didn't like one small serve she had (fish). Said it was mushy and did not smell good so she left it. I'd be forcing it down at that price!

But I just thought I'd throw the first course out here for discussion.

What do you think of this? The woman was waxing lyrical about the plating but I think it is dreadful.

The edible bits are those 2 small yellowish pieces, artichoke.

All the rest is just decoration, inedible.

I have a problem with that, I don't think it should be on the plate if it is not edible. Or certainly not as the main ingredient on the plate!

Michelin chef or not, the plating is a fail from me. Mind you, I can't say I do fine dining at this level. Went to a couple of high teas recently, that's about as good as it gets for me.

artichoke one bite.PNG

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Fancy Food

We can only hope - they were Australian grown. lol

How much to ' fry ' an artichoke.

Screenshot_20221027-181021_Chrome.jpg

Message 11 of 25
Latest reply

Fancy Food

I was wondering why someone mowed the lawn and then put two pats of butter on it

Message 12 of 25
Latest reply

Fancy Food

bryzen
Community Member

Resembles everyones lawn(lorn)

Spring-Sprout,

Summer-Healing.

Sow what you reap.

Message 13 of 25
Latest reply

Fancy Food

That thingie on the left looks like a caterpillar, particularly considering its surroundings. A realistic work of genius...

Message 14 of 25
Latest reply

Fancy Food

I would be curious to know what the MasterChef judges think of this presentation... 🤣

Message 15 of 25
Latest reply

Fancy Food

@papermoon.lady wrote:

I would be curious to know what the MasterChef judges think of this presentation... 🤣

Or the MKR judges.

I love those shows and normally I have heard them say that as a general rule, if it is on the plate, it should be edible.

Message 16 of 25
Latest reply

Fancy Food

I was relieved actually to see it wasn't just me and that others here weren't impressed by the plating.😁

Especially countess as I know she is a bit of a gourmet cook.

I have never had the experience of dining out for a $400 meal. I like artichokes, in fact I made an artichoke, spinach & cheese pie earlier this week and the artichoke course at the expensive restaurant looks interesting and probably tasty, except for that grass offering.

Message 17 of 25
Latest reply

Fancy Food

Well, I am not a gourmet  (as a matter of fact, I have never been really interested in food), and that dish certainly does not inspire me to become one. 😂 To be honest, is it even hygienic to put the artichoke hearts on that "stuff"?

Message 18 of 25
Latest reply

Fancy Food

I don't know, papermoon. Some people have allergies. I'm sure it had probably been washed but it's a mean trick to put it on a plate and expect patrons to just 'know' it is not meant to be eaten.

I mean, I would leave it as it doesn't look edible, but they should never put customers in that position.

I don't think it even looks attractive. The other 4 courses looked better (though quite small) I must admit.

I could have eaten all 5 and not been overly full.

I get a better feed at Wheelers Hill pub with the seniors meal, to be honest. 

Message 19 of 25
Latest reply

Fancy Food

Not Aussie dollars - but the conversion might be more,

It was in Toronto.

And for all that money.....not a tablecloth in sight.

imastawka_0-1666919730155.jpeg

More money than sense IMO

I Ate a Meal From 3 Michelin Star Chefs and Spent $800, Worth It (insider.com)

Message 20 of 25
Latest reply