Julia Banks challenged to live on Youth Allowance

Liberal backbencher Julia Banks challenged to live on Youth Allowance payments after 'insulting' comments

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-03/liberal-backbencher-challenged-to-live-on-$40-a-day/9720950

these 'challenges' have been made in the past to well off politicians with big mouths, usually they run and hide.

i suspect julia will do the same.

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

How working for free went mainstream

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-03/what-job-ads-reveal-about-the-rising-internship-culture/971391...

we have 'work for the dole' and 'internships'

how many other free workers positions are out there?

Message 2 of 36
Latest reply

there's no way she could do tt... I was just looking at the Parliamentary Register.... she and her husband own a house in Malvern, an investment poperty in Malvern and a house at Mornington

she also has an investment property at Braeside and another one at Bealiba

so that's 5 houses

Message 3 of 36
Latest reply

Soooo, typical Aussie Battler there huh?

Message 4 of 36
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

How working for free went mainstream

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-03/what-job-ads-reveal-about-the-rising-internship-culture/971391...

we have 'work for the dole' and 'internships'

how many other free workers positions are out there?

Years ago someone I knew who was unemployed agreed to sign up to learn the finer points (hoho) of selling insurance.  I think that while it was run by a VERY big Oz firm, it was really plugged by Centrelink or whatever the department was called in those days.  So off he went and there were about 20-30 people there.  The training (such as it was) was minimal. 

They were then told if they wanted the job they had to cold call and come back with 20 new signed up customers.  For all that effort of course they wouldn't be paid.  If you got 20 clients you were in the running to get a job.  If you didn't make the grade then you were out....but of course the company got to keep the details of the new customers they had managed to sign up at no employee wage cost to them.  Some walked out in disgust, and the person who told me about it also went back to the unemployment centre and complained.  Seems they weren't told the whole story about this 'wonderful job opportunity'. 

Not everyone is cut out for a sales career, especially when only given substandard training then being immediately pushed out the door.

Message 5 of 36
Latest reply

You could safely assume that those houses are negatively geared too.
Message 6 of 36
Latest reply

Negative gearing by property investors reduced personal income tax revenue in Australia by $600 million in the 2001/02 tax year, $3.9 billion in 2004/05, and $13.2 billion in 2010/11.
Message 7 of 36
Latest reply

How can we expect fair tax reform when the rorters are running the place?

Message 8 of 36
Latest reply

the fed govt was dragged kicking and screaming to a royal commission into banking saying it was not required it was a waste of money and wouldnt show any wrong doing.

now they are trying to take credit for it.

just when did pensioners, disabled and the unemployed last get a real payrise?

match that with our pollies.

i bet some of our elected members got a rise more than our 'poor' get to live on for a year.

Message 9 of 36
Latest reply

Many years ago a politician accepted the challenge to live for a month on some Government benefit (pension or dole, not sure which now)

He duly finished the challenge and reported back that he had no problems at all.....until it was pointed out that he had a Commonwealth car to take him to and from work, his bills were paid by direct debit from his substantial bank account, he had subsidised meals in the Parliament House dining room, and new clothes were hardly likely to be necessary in a month.

It caused a great deal of laughter and a few red faces.

Message 10 of 36
Latest reply