Knives

What are your favourite kind?

Do you sharpen them or use them dull?

How do you sharpen them, manually on a stone, a little dinky sharpener or send them to be machined?

What are your preferred kinds of knives for different tasks in the kitchen?

Do you use knives as part of your occupation, in a hobby or outside interest, or just in the kitchen when preparing food..

anything else to add about knives?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 1 of 66
Latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: Knives

Any self respecting burglar would have their own 🙂

And even a Wusthof is mot much good against a quarter staff 😉 and the ability to weild it.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 21 of 66
Latest reply

I only ever broke one of mine, the 12 inch cooks knife,

using it as a lever for something, think it was a leg of ham - yep snapped it, and they replaced it.Brand new one.

then I sharpened down the knife to an 8 inch cooks knife, but rarely used it - too small to be useful.

Mt Trident knives were bought in 1987, and had serious use, still got another 50 years I reckon

the 8inch general use knife is definitely worn though, but I use it most, so sharpen it the most,

One of my boning knives is like an ice pick now - had it since I was a kid, the other swibo boning knives, spose I used to replace them every 4 or 5 years?

My swibo meat slicer, looks like a machette LOL - think it's only my second one.

The swibo are just easier to get a quick edge on, and a finer blade for boning. trident is too thick and stiff for boning

the little vixctinox, just cheap maybe $10 each - nice and fine, which is good, but like the peelers, forever getting l;ost or thrown in the trash with vege peelings so replaced pretty often.

Message 22 of 66
Latest reply

Errol is my hero, poddster

Even though he lost with a quarter staff

Hubby looks at the Globals every now and then with longing, I let him use one once but he put it down dangerously close to a Victorinox just lying on the cutting board...so that was IT.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 23 of 66
Latest reply

I used to have Trident Wustof knives but left them behind when I ran away from home:-)

My grafting knife is a French made Sandvik.I use an Ezy Lap diamond sharpening stone on it.Sharp enough to shave with and even though I cut through grapevine trunks and the budwood,the knife only gets a quick onceover on the stone twice a day.
Message 24 of 66
Latest reply

wot's post 17, a paid testymonial  Man LOL

m'self , used wiltshire self-sharpenin' knives, for years.   taken a few back, and got free replacements .   no worries.

aussie design, as i remember.

Message 25 of 66
Latest reply

At the moment I am in the process of working on a longer version one with a crystal ball that illuminates at the top when you stamp the end on the ground bit like the one Gandalf had in the movie except mine will have a brass bottom end and sort of pointed.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 26 of 66
Latest reply

You ran away?

But you would need a trusty hunting knife out in the unknown.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 27 of 66
Latest reply

With the exception of the Cooks knives, I actually like F Dick better than the Trident, they've got a finer blade, but I already had Trident knives, so stuck with those mostly.

But the Heel on the F Dicks Cooks Knives is too low. but they're what my best friend has, (lots of German Chefs do) and he swears by them.

I like Trident Cooks knives the best

Message 28 of 66
Latest reply

@spotweldersfriend wrote:
I used to have Trident Wustof knives but left them behind when I ran away from home:-)

My grafting knife is a French made Sandvik.I use an Ezy Lap diamond sharpening stone on it.Sharp enough to shave with and even though I cut through grapevine trunks and the budwood,the knife only gets a quick onceover on the stone twice a day.

is there a pic on google?

Message 29 of 66
Latest reply

@poddster wrote:

At the moment I am in the process of working on a longer version one with a crystal ball that illuminates at the top when you stamp the end on the ground bit like the one Gandalf had in the movie except mine will have a brass bottom end and sort of pointed.

are we still talking about knives?

RUNS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Message 30 of 66
Latest reply