Missing!

Saw this link.

Search underway for missing radioactive capsule in WA (msn.com)

They are talking about a very tiny capsule, probably the size of some of those button batteries.

Firstly, I'd be interested to know how many of them were being transported and how one 'went missing' in the first place. Are they certain it went missing in transit and not before or after?

Surely it couldn't just fall out of the side of the truck? Very suss.

And what is it for?

I presume the main danger is if someone tries to pry it open? But I don't really know.

Just hope the searchers have geiger counters as I can't see how they are going to locate the thing without them, and even then, I don't like their chances.

I am not sure humans can be trusted around anything radioactive/nuclear.

What can go wrong, will.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Missing!

I saw a brief story on the news last night then a bit later I was talking to my son in the UK and apparently it has made the news there too.  There's a little bit more information in this article

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-28/radioactive-capsule-search-perth-to-pilbara-/101902914 

Might be wrong but it looks and sounds to me more like someone trying to save money by cutting corners (she'll be right, mate!).

It's a worry though.  If it was on the road, it could have been picked up in a car tyre and taken anywhere. I hope they do find it ...... and soon.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Missing!

That's interesting that it even made the news in UK.

Someone has definitely cut some corners somewhere, for this to happen. I did hear it was a week before it was noticed, so it could be anywhere by now.

They are telling people not to go within a few metres of it, yet the searchers aren't in any special protective clothing. I guess if they hear a beep, they will need to back off. With such a long stretch of road, I don't like their chances of finding it and I am not 100% convinced it was lost on the road but we might never know.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Missing!

It’s concerning that the loss wasn’t even reported for weeks.

In that time, who knows where the caesium-137 capsule is? It’s so small…!

The fact that it was lost from a supposedly secure device that became damaged due to vibration (perfectly predictable) is quite a worry. It screams “inadequate” to me.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Missing!

@springyzone wrote:

I am not sure humans can be trusted around anything radioactive/nuclear.

What can go wrong, will.

I agree. 😞

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Missing!

It's probably stuck in some poor joggers tread. 

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Missing!

@ambercat16 wrote:

It's a worry though.  If it was on the road, it could have been picked up in a car tyre and taken anywhere. I hope they do find it ...... and soon.

It could also be found by an animal... 

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Missing!

I had exactly the same thought yesterday but forgot to post!

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Missing!

Found it! Yay!

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Missing!

It is now safe to pick up small objects in WA... but there are stern questions to answer.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply