Not very neighbourly

legarlu
Community Member

The family has a vacant block of land and every few years council sends a letter advising that it is overgrown and needs clearing, usually after someone makes a complaint to council.  Just recently a letter from council was received.    We would like to build a house in the very near future and I suggested to join a local face book page to get a feel of the community in the area.    I joined the FB group  and there was a pic of our  block of land posted by  someone replying to a post about getting foot paths in the area cleared.  The person who posted the pic apparently lives in  the house next door and made a complaint to council.  Fair enough I wouldn't like to live next door to a property that was overgrown.   We complied with council and had the property cleared.   The contractor that cleared the land sent pictures of the job done.    Just recently a family member was visiting the area and dropped by  to take a look at the land and a few weeks after it was cleared there is now plants and tree branches  dumped on the block.    

The plants and branches are the same variety as the next door neighbour.   Looking at pics taken after clearing by the contractor it is obvious that the dumped material is from the neighbour that complained.

I have contacted the landlord and made a complaint about what his tenants have done.  He replied that he isn't responsible for his tenants.

Can't comprehend how someone complains to council about the overgrown land next door and then after it is cleared dumps their garden cuttings.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Not very neighbourly

I am on the side of the neighbour. They presumably think. going on your previous form, that the block will be overgrown again before your next tidy up and their dross won't even be a blip on the radar of what your land has produced.

If, as you have said, you only bother tidying the block when the council receives a complaint. Maybe, as the owner, you could have had it done regularly in the years you've owned what is obviously a residential block and the neighbour might be a bit less hostile.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Not very neighbourly

I don't quite get what your issue or concerns are. It seems to me that both the family and the neighbour have treated the property badly. I think it is over the top to have to be contacted by the council to keep the property in a decent state, free of vermin etc. While I don't know a lot about landlord responsibilities, it makes sense to me that he is not responsible for the actions of his tenant towards the family property. His contract with the tenant would relate to his property! If he has a property manager, then you could complain to that agency, but I suspect your issue with the tenant may be a civil matter. Whichever, IMO, both the family and the neighbour need to lift their acts.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Not very neighbourly

were the branches overhanging the fence before being cut?
Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Not very neighbourly

I'd consider posting several large "NO DUMPING" signs on your property and perhaps point some of them at your neighbor's house so that they could look at them every time that they are outdoors...

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Not very neighbourly

throw it back over their fence

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Not very neighbourly

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Land needs to be cleared regularly to avoid the possibility of bush fires, hiding / breeding grounds for snakes, rats etc.

I certainly wouldn't want an overgrown block next to me.

All councils do it.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Not very neighbourly

@imastawka wrote:

Land needs to be cleared regularly to avoid the possibility of bush fires, hiding / breeding grounds for snakes, rats etc.

I certainly wouldn't want an overgrown block next to me.

All councils do it.

Well.. where i live, a stretch of land owned by the council nextdoor, I have to remind them to clean up their act "every" time!

Signatures suck.
Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Not very neighbourly

After one time they had the audacity to send me a work order for my overgrown weeds, hah

Signatures suck.
Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Not very neighbourly

@davewil1964 wrote:

I am on the side of the neighbour. They presumably think. going on your previous form, that the block will be overgrown again before your next tidy up and their dross won't even be a blip on the radar of what your land has produced.

If, as you have said, you only bother tidying the block when the council receives a complaint. Maybe, as the owner, you could have had it done regularly in the years you've owned what is obviously a residential block and the neighbour might be a bit less hostile.

I agree

Not very neighbourly to neglect your property .. leaves their neighbour no alternative but to constantly complain to the council against a fire hazard.

Slackos

Signatures suck.
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply