Racist 'no curries here' sign in bottle shop

Racist 'no curries here' sign in bottle shop sparks outrage in regional Victorian community

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-20/racist-bottle-shop-sign-sparks-backlash-in-regional-victoria/9...

i hope that business goes out of business, no room for race hate in this country

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

It's quite possible the business will go broke. The town's people have shown their true colours and are supporting the   right family and their new business, stating they don't belive in racism , taking their money and goodwill with them.

Horsham should be proud to stand up against the racism shown and it was just because a new business opened up in town.

The original business owners should hang their heads in shame. Racism is just not on.... and they have effectively lost the business. Word of mouth (and the news/social media) will shut the place down.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

It's rather an odd thing to do when you think about it.

Why would you care what nationality or background your customers came from, as long as they paid up and came & went peacefully?

I was just wondering-did they mean it as 'we don't want Indian customers' or did they mean 'We don't have Indian staff here'.

Either way, it's a silly thing to write.

The reason that i wondered about the sign was you often hear people complaining about Indian call centres, hard to understand, not up with local knowledge etc. Just wondered if the owner was thinking along those lines though of course it is a completely different scenario.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I couldn't believe the bottle shop posted that sign when the other shop was just about to open.  They were not only racist, they were stupid as well.  And if there is a better example of how to misread their customers and other locals and alienate them I can't imagine one.

Did they think 'warning' their regulars that the new shop would be owned by an Indian family would help THEIR business,  especially when it was done in such an offensive way?  Surely no one could be that foolish?

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

its the kind of thing only a complete moron would do

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

It sounds as if they were reacting to competition opening nearby.

A really stupid way to deal with it.

If they wanted to play the "local" card, they should have pushed how long they'd been in the town, not where the new people were coming from.

Racism rarely wins points from anyone - in fact, it usually has the opposite effect.
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

deliberate,hate filled,racist,idotic,childish sign made and proudly displayed by ah-holes

When the stunt backfired in their faces they tried back peddling

Too late

Anyone with any amount of decency who knows about their little tantrum will avoid that store like the plague from now on

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

@wide-world-of-stamps wrote:
It sounds as if they were reacting to competition opening nearby.

A really stupid way to deal with it.

If they wanted to play the "local" card, they should have pushed how long they'd been in the town, not where the new people were coming from.

Racism rarely wins points from anyone - in fact, it usually has the opposite effect.

Exactly right.

The more I think about it, I suspect they were reacting to competition but as you say, a stupid way to do it. If all you can do is put down the opposition instead of pushing some of your own positives, then it reflects more on you than them.

Reminds me of politicians-so busy putting others down instead of concentrating on their own work & why you should support them.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

these 2 businesses look like very smilar booze outlets

we have 3 or 4 outlests just like them here in my area.

all within a 15 minute drive.

they seem to be surviving just fine.

if the 'old outlet' felt under threat then they need to 'lift their game'

make their store the best service, the best prices yadda yadda yadda.

all they have done so far is most likely ended their business.

99% of joe public dont care who is behind the counter, they just want service and price.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

And a little bit of knowledge about the products they sell.
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply