When is a win not a win ? Nine news calls the SA election for the Liberals

Nine news has called the SA election as a " win"  for the Liberals. With counting still well underway Nines computer modelling shows the Liberals currently holding 24 seats ( a majority win) Labor 17, independants 2 and several seats still in doubt. Nick Xenophon appears to have completely missed out on winning any seats.

After 16 years of Labor government the Liberals are going to have a huge job ahead, trying to restore the budget, provide some functionality to SA's health service and get the states economy moving again. They will also need to try to clean up the mess Labor has created in electricity generation and reduce power prices ( currently some of the most expensive in the world ). The ridiculous cost of electricity has directly resulted in businesses leaving the state or closing down altogether. 

After 16 years of Labor, corruption appears to have crept into state governance, and the public service has become bloated and inept. ( around 30% larger than other states per capita ) It will be an enormous job trying to trim the fat from the PS and restore the publics faith in public office. South Australia's Jobless rate regularly tops the nation as the states economy has slowly been run into the ground and rebuiling business and employer confidence will take time. Reversing the trend of SA's young leaving the state in droves is another challenge.

Regional roads have been sadly neglected for years with many in such poor condition that the government has recently had to reduce the speed limits on many of the states main country highways as they are no longer safe to travel on at normal highway speed. Agriculture is SA's fastest growing industry and has the fastest growth rates in employment, but has been terribly neglected under Labor. Vital research facilities and the highly skilled staff that run them have been disbanded and rail and port systems starved of maintenance funds or closed altogether.

Schooling and education, often considered a Labor strong point is in a serious state of mismanagement with the state regularly featuring in the bottom of national schools testing and our age care facilities are in crisis with regular scandels of neglect and abuse of our most vulnerable under Labors care.

The Liberals may have won the election, but the state is in such a mess they may have preffered to have lost this time

Message 1 of 79
Latest reply
78 REPLIES 78

the last south australian liberal MP to sit in govt has been found in old office

00-main-orestes-cobwebs-spider-webs-daz3d.jpg

Message 11 of 79
Latest reply

Yeah well, after a cpl of statewide blackouts and other problems, I can't blame to SA voters for trying a different government.

Message 12 of 79
Latest reply

@davidc4430wrote:

the last south australian liberal MP to sit in govt has been found in old office

00-main-orestes-cobwebs-spider-webs-daz3d.jpg

Labor dunnit, lol.

Message 13 of 79
Latest reply

The Liberals books on 'How To Be In Government"

dusty-old-books1.jpg

Message 14 of 79
Latest reply

@icyfrothwrote:

Yeah well, after a cpl of statewide blackouts and other problems, I can't blame to SA voters for trying a different government.

i am quite happy to give mr marshall a go,

but hes got to come through with the promises he made, no excuses.

the days of wining govt on a raft of promises and then going back on them are over, i dont think todays voters will cop it anymore as we have seen from recent elections all around the country.

get caught telling porkies and/or taking payments your not entitled to is a sure fire way to end up in opposition again next time around.

the public are much better informed now, they dont need biased newspapers or tv stations to get their news anymore.

facebook has taken over (not that i use it but i'm in the minority)

Message 15 of 79
Latest reply

If history's a reliable guide,the libs will do nothing (good) for a term or two and will be back in the wilderness for a decade.
Message 16 of 79
Latest reply

Firstly I dont support either of the major parties, Federal or State). and somewhat away from the OPs topic.

For the average "Man or Woman in the Street", a change of government, whether it be Federal or State, does not warrant a celebration, as the past has showed.

Nationally, the past 10 years,  external debt had reached its highest in 2016.The start of this year, it was back on par with 2016.

Yet every now and then we all hear the PM or a minister still blame labor.( almost 5 years later)  Parties and their supporters will always blame the previous party for the problems.  

Nsw is heading for a surplus (they may already have it). Now they are talking about knocking down sporting staduims, to build new ones, at a huge cost, that should put one big dent in the surplus, or see it gone.

This is sure to help the people who are stuggling. (sarcastically), and if they are built, do you really think that addmission prices will remain the same.

A few years back the Premier of NSW makes a big speach that power prices will not rise. In less than 15 months prices increased by another 6%. This guy was one of our local members. The area I live is a full on blue ribbon liberal. Over the years the representatives have held top positions in either State or Federal govt, including Prime Minister, Treasurer, Premier. Health Minister, Foreign minister to name a few. Yet very little changes.

When Rudd was throwing money around with the stimulous package, how many coaltion supporters refused to take the bucks that was offered. I dont know of anyone who refused it, or handed it back. 

In fact one person I know , who is member of the Libs (and hated labor) was quite peeved off that they only received $400 , while others got $900. (they had an annual salary, at the time, of roughly $110,000.) 

I found it to be comical, they detested labor, and the policies. I suggested to them that could give it back, donate it to a charity or perhaps give it one of the homeless people they walk past every day in the city, and by doing so, their views and morals would not be scrutinised. But no, they still kept it. 

People will always live in hope that a change of govt will be for the better & the Sth Aussie people may get a better deal all round.

Perhaps the Sth Aussie people could report back here in 2, 3 or 4 years,  to give your opinion as to how its working out for you, better, worse or no different.

Message 17 of 79
Latest reply

@travlyn2012wrote:

Firstly I dont support either of the major parties, Federal or State). and somewhat away from the OPs topic.

For the average "Man or Woman in the Street", a change of government, whether it be Federal or State, does not warrant a celebration, as the past has showed.

Nationally, the past 10 years,  external debt had reached its highest in 2016.The start of this year, it was back on par with 2016.

Yet every now and then we all hear the PM or a minister still blame labor.( almost 5 years later)  Parties and their supporters will always blame the previous party for the problems.  

Nsw is heading for a surplus (they may already have it). Now they are talking about knocking down sporting staduims, to build new ones, at a huge cost, that should put one big dent in the surplus, or see it gone.

This is sure to help the people who are stuggling. (sarcastically), and if they are built, do you really think that addmission prices will remain the same.

A few years back the Premier of NSW makes a big speach that power prices will not rise. In less than 15 months prices increased by another 6%. This guy was one of our local members. The area I live is a full on blue ribbon liberal. Over the years the representatives have held top positions in either State or Federal govt, including Prime Minister, Treasurer, Premier. Health Minister, Foreign minister to name a few. Yet very little changes.

When Rudd was throwing money around with the stimulous package, how many coaltion supporters refused to take the bucks that was offered. I dont know of anyone who refused it, or handed it back. 

In fact one person I know , who is member of the Libs (and hated labor) was quite peeved off that they only received $400 , while others got $900. (they had an annual salary, at the time, of roughly $110,000.) 

I found it to be comical, they detested labor, and the policies. I suggested to them that could give it back, donate it to a charity or perhaps give it one of the homeless people they walk past every day in the city, and by doing so, their views and morals would not be scrutinised. But no, they still kept it. 

People will always live in hope that a change of govt will be for the better & the Sth Aussie people may get a better deal all round.

Perhaps the Sth Aussie people could report back here in 2, 3 or 4 years,  to give your opinion as to how its working out for you, betteuL

I guess they felt things couldn't get much worse, Freddie, lol

Message 18 of 79
Latest reply

@davidc4430wrote:

The Liberals books on 'How To Be In Government"

dusty-old-books1.jpg

...was all they found on entering the offices vacated by the Labor government, lol.

Message 19 of 79
Latest reply

@icyfrothwrote:

@travlyn2012wrote:

Perhaps the Sth Aussie people could report back here in 2, 3 or 4 years,  to give your opinion as to how its working out for you, betteuL

I guess they felt things couldn't get much worse, Freddie, lol

thats what was said when ms gillard was sent packing wasnt it?

politics, sometimes i'm not sure if i should be laughing or crying.

Message 20 of 79
Latest reply