When is a win not a win ? Nine news calls the SA election for the Liberals

Nine news has called the SA election as a " win"  for the Liberals. With counting still well underway Nines computer modelling shows the Liberals currently holding 24 seats ( a majority win) Labor 17, independants 2 and several seats still in doubt. Nick Xenophon appears to have completely missed out on winning any seats.

After 16 years of Labor government the Liberals are going to have a huge job ahead, trying to restore the budget, provide some functionality to SA's health service and get the states economy moving again. They will also need to try to clean up the mess Labor has created in electricity generation and reduce power prices ( currently some of the most expensive in the world ). The ridiculous cost of electricity has directly resulted in businesses leaving the state or closing down altogether. 

After 16 years of Labor, corruption appears to have crept into state governance, and the public service has become bloated and inept. ( around 30% larger than other states per capita ) It will be an enormous job trying to trim the fat from the PS and restore the publics faith in public office. South Australia's Jobless rate regularly tops the nation as the states economy has slowly been run into the ground and rebuiling business and employer confidence will take time. Reversing the trend of SA's young leaving the state in droves is another challenge.

Regional roads have been sadly neglected for years with many in such poor condition that the government has recently had to reduce the speed limits on many of the states main country highways as they are no longer safe to travel on at normal highway speed. Agriculture is SA's fastest growing industry and has the fastest growth rates in employment, but has been terribly neglected under Labor. Vital research facilities and the highly skilled staff that run them have been disbanded and rail and port systems starved of maintenance funds or closed altogether.

Schooling and education, often considered a Labor strong point is in a serious state of mismanagement with the state regularly featuring in the bottom of national schools testing and our age care facilities are in crisis with regular scandels of neglect and abuse of our most vulnerable under Labors care.

The Liberals may have won the election, but the state is in such a mess they may have preffered to have lost this time

Message 1 of 79
Latest reply
78 REPLIES 78

Mr Marshals first day in "The Job"

6f30bb156aebf5d9d6f6db8bb3ea33342d8413b137c8f1d6b0a12d7903f0cd26.jpg

Message 21 of 79
Latest reply

Oh, i just remebered

now we get to pay for every office in parlement to be fitted out with everything new.

for both sides, lucky us.

Message 22 of 79
Latest reply

@davidc4430

"People will always live in hope that a change of govt will be for the better & the Sth Aussie people may get a better deal all round.

Perhaps the Sth Aussie people could report back here in 2, 3 or 4 years,  to give your opinion as to how its working out for you, betteuL"

I guess they felt things couldn't get much worse, Freddie, lol

thats what was said when ms gillard was sent packing wasnt it?

politics, sometimes i'm not sure if i should be laughing or crying.

Ms Gillard was sent packing by her own (Labor) party, as I recall...

Message 23 of 79
Latest reply

Ya see, even ive lost count of who was where and when!

LOL

Message 24 of 79
Latest reply

@icyfrothwrote:

@davidc4430wrote:

The Liberals books on 'How To Be In Government"

dusty-old-books1.jpg

...was all they found on entering the offices vacated by the Labor government, lol.

Turnbull was going to be the saviour, he and Julie Bishop both orchestrated getting rid of Abbott.

Almost a mirror version of how Shorten acted with Rudd, and then with Gillard. 

How well has that gone for Turnbull, both he, and the govts performance is no better for it..

What the country really got was a disguised version of Abbott.

Thanks for noticing the bad spelling in my previous post. I should use the spell checker, but in my defense, my punctuation is reasonably good. Smiley LOL

MTA.gif

Message 25 of 79
Latest reply

@icyfrothwrote:

Yeah well, after a cpl of statewide blackouts and other problems,

Good to see the new Government (who after all privatised the Electricity in SA) will be able to control natures whims and guarantee fine weather etc. No more storms or problems with the supply from solar or wind generation and regulation of power from Vic (also privatised by a  Liberal conservative Government) and just get back to coal fired generation which apparently won't fail where solar and wind generation did.

But hang on does not coal generated energy rely on the delivery structure as wind and solar powered energy?

Message 26 of 79
Latest reply

thats what was said when ms gillard was sent packing wasnt it? 

politics, sometimes i'm not sure if i should be laughing or crying.

Well we got Abbott then Turnball and then america went and top that and got trump

Message 27 of 79
Latest reply

@icyfrothwrote:
Ms Gillard was sent packing by her own (Labor) party, as I recall...

Just as your hero (Mr Abbott) was sent packing by his own (Liberal) party, as I recall..

Message 28 of 79
Latest reply

@davidc4430wrote:

how long before the 'we cant do the things we promised because of labors mess' speech?

he (mr marshall) made a ton of promises in order to win votes.

personally i think he could have won without so many promises but just with a decent plan for the state.

but we got promises without much plan, we shall see wont we.

Not sure what you are basing that on David. The Advertiser ( SA's largest daily paper ) ran an article detailing the cost of promises from both major parties ( page 11, Saturday 17 / 3 / 18 ). 

The total cost of the Liberals election promises $448 million. Total cost of Labors election promises $2.392 Billion. I think you need to do some fact checking before throwing around random statements like " Marshall made a ton of promises in order to win " because frankly as the above figures show, your statement is quite ridiculous when comparing the two parties. 

Contrary to what you have inferred, the Liberals in fact went to the election with a very modest programme of spending which reflected the precarious state of South Australias financial position after the 16 year traditional Labor spendathon funded as always by borrowed money. Undoubtably this fiscal restraint was one reason they where succesful in the election. SA public have come to realise we just cant keep throwing money at non productive projects, just to keep Labors construction industry mates happy.

Message 29 of 79
Latest reply

@tezza2844wrote:

@davidc4430wrote:

how long before the 'we cant do the things we promised because of labors mess' speech?

he (mr marshall) made a ton of promises in order to win votes.

personally i think he could have won without so many promises but just with a decent plan for the state.

but we got promises without much plan, we shall see wont we.

I think it will be the usual national Liberal excuse/bleating: It's all Labor fault"

How long before the new Government will start privatising Government assets to pay for their election promises and reneging on others because they were pie-in-the-sky promises as well as further increase the debt of the state just like their Federal counterparts.

You obviously know absolutely nothing about SA,s privatisation histoy Tezza, so let me help you. 

Theres nothing left for the Liberals to sell as LABOR has sold everything they could get their hands on.

This includes

* Our state owned forests which where returning a tidy profit each year. Sold for a song, no doubt to one of Labors mates.

* Our Lands titles office, sold to a financial consortium with a history of buying state owned  infrastructure and then charging the captive " little people " like wounded bulls. They also have a history of dodgy deals that fly very close to the legal wind.

* The largest government owned, undeveloped piece of land in Adelaide ( Gillman site ). Again sold for a stupidly low price. This sale was so suspicous that it resulted in a royal commission which found SA Labor was involved in suspected corruption and gross incompeteance and mismanagement. ( Royal commissionors words not mine )

* Large sections of our rail system have been leased to private companies and closed down

These are just a few that spring immediately to mind. There are others if I bothered to search, but frankly I have better things to do.

Message 30 of 79
Latest reply