Why Doesn't Our Government Do Anything about Floods and Fires and Drought

I don't get it ... we have floods and fires and droughts and we have inquiries about them, but nothing happens.  

Couldn't we move the water around to help with fires and droughts?  Couldn't we store some of the water from rain and flood to assist in droughts and fires?  Couldn't we put systems in place to be prepared for natural catastrophes?  Couldn't we do more to prepare for fires BEFORE they happen?  Couldn't we make dams bigger, or make more dams, or store the water to prevent flooding?  

Why do we just let disasters happen again and again and again?  

Message 1 of 51
Latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Why Doesn't Our Government Do Anything about Floods and Fires and Drought

I always wondered why the Gold Coast Council let developers build on Floods Plains on the Gold Coast.

You can only do so much against Climate, but some times you would think the council would not allow places that have flooded in the past to be built on.

The same applies to Coffs Harbour. Heaps of properties built on known flood plains, including the new base hospital. Every time we have this weather the same places get flooded.

Message 11 of 51
Latest reply

...and yet again so many of them are still not insured. Stupidity.

Message 12 of 51
Latest reply

I'm no engineer ... but would it be an idea to pipe water from areas of heavy rain (NT, N QLD etc) to areas that are prone to fire or drought?  

Would it be an idea to set up stores of water in areas that are likely to catch fire?  Situated in trees, or above trees, with an automatic release trigger on a certain temperature?  

Could we, should we, do more backburning and create fire breaks around towns and dwellings?

Is it a good idea to situate plantations (like pine) away from dwellings?   

I dunno ... am I nuts :-x or not?  

Message 13 of 51
Latest reply

Judgemental much.. Sorry twinkles

Insurers don't want to know. Quotes up here for home and contents, I've seen a premium of $16000 . Absolutely ridiculous... Who can afford that?

Yes they will shop around..but very limited now. Insurers are not taking on new people.

Message 14 of 51
Latest reply

..and yet again so many of them are still not insured. Stupidity.

Even if they were insured, try getting any money out of the insurance agencies... Apparently floods are considered an act of God which isn't covered under insurance

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 15 of 51
Latest reply

Judgemental much.. Sorry twinkles

Insurers don't want to know. Quotes up here for home and contents, I've seen a premium of $16000 . Absolutely ridiculous... Who can afford that?

Yes they will shop around..but very limited now. Insurers are not taking on new people.

Judgemental tttt? All our insurances have gone up not just those in areas that tend to flood or burn.....you must have insurance when the home is mortgaged but some don't continue the insurance. So they can be left with a huge mortgage, no house and no insurance payout. At least insurance companies are now being taken to task on none payouts.....has been in the news just in past few weeks re the last floods.

Message 16 of 51
Latest reply

Well, let's see government supervision of insurance companies.  It's not good enough to have insurance companies say that they won't cover this or that, is it?  If you have your contents insured, it should cover every circumstance except negligence or deliberate harm.  

Message 17 of 51
Latest reply

Could we, should we, do more backburning and create fire breaks around towns and dwellings?

Is it a good idea to situate plantations (like pine) away from dwellings?   

I dunno ... am I nuts :-x or not?  

Not Nuts, we do less Fuel Mitigation these days than any other time in the past and then wonder why we have wild fires.  It's crazy, not only does it increase the danger for people living in the path of unmitigated bushland, but also the firies who have to fight fires that shouldn't be this deadly.   

But what does the Govt care?...they're immune from any liability under the Civil Liability Act in NSW, so they can do what they want.  See recent case in Canberra vs NSW RFS = found negligent but immune from damages as they were able to argue they 'acted in good faith'.   Of Course the Plaintiff is appealing on the grounds that 'good faith' wasn't spelled out.  (Not knocking the firies, but their Bureaucracy and Pollies leave a lot to be desired) 

Many of our local firies would tell you that rather deadly bushland that saw us declared 'catastrophic' just recently (new word to play with), was burnt back every few years before Green influence got in the way of common sense. Apparently humans are so far down the species list, we're less important than bush weed.

Message 18 of 51
Latest reply

Thanks for your opinion, Cue.  

We got the Snowy Mountain Hydro-Electric Scheme up and running, we got sewerage and water systems to just about every house in Australia, we have electricity and/or gas connected to just about every house ... why can't we protect every house from fire and flood and drought?  

Message 19 of 51
Latest reply

Why can't we protect our houses?.....Because it's no longer up to us. 

I'd just love to get an excavator and get rid of the bushland verging onto our house in every direction, but I'd be fined beyond all imagination just for trying to protect my house and existence.  See how that doesn't work? 

Try to get bushland mitigated...I dares ya....it took me 5 years of bashing my head against a 'Yes Minister' bureaucracy, but when we're declared Catastrophic as a result of the same bushland being so close to our houses...it's a whole different story.   Go figure - mediocrity rules.

Message 20 of 51
Latest reply