WikiTree - family tree

Does anybody here know anything about the WikiTree site.  i have done my tree on Ancestory and My Heritage, but they all keep sending huge bills if you want to be able to access your tree.  Then I found WikiTree, which is free, but I am having problems working with it.  Just wondering if anybody uses it, and if they find it good or not.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: WikiTree - family tree

The 'share matches with' tab is with ancestry DNA site, I am not sure how other sites work.

I hear you about having trouble with the European connections.

I'll be honest here-I share an ancestry account with a friend. We're not connected genetically. She is italian, I am more British ancestry so all we do is have our own trees.

Of course I can see her DNA results, she can see mine but we're good friends, it's not an issue.

But the thing is, when we joined, she had absolutely no luck on ancestry because not many italian details were there.

I felt awful for the first couple of years as I was having an exciting time & she had nothing.

About 3 years ago it started to change & she made several connections but I have to admit, they were connections through extended italian family that had gone to USA.

So for anyone of Australian/British/USA/Canadian/NZ background, I'd say it is a site worth being on. If your background is different, it might be harder to nail down the connections.

To me, it is all about how many subscribers the site can get or has and Ancestry needs to work on expanding it internationally.

The more they have, the more likely you are to make a connection but unless a few of them also have family trees, then it is frustrating as you'll never know where the connections are.

One of my distant cousins was suggesting uploading-I think it was gedcom details-to some site but I am not sure how to get those details, I'll have to work on it. The more I work on my family trees, the more I realise how much I still need to learn about research etc

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

marwi5023
Community Member
You do realise that you have given away your DNA to an organisation that is selling your genetic information to anyone that wants it. That you no longer have domain over you.
Would you be so willing to give away your financial identity?
At the moment there aren't any obvious issues with giving your DNA away but in the future there will be
Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

I don't know about every company that is doing the DNA tests but I know with ancestry, they guarantee it is confidential and not shared and in fact it could never be used in any court of law or with any guarantee of accuracy.

That's because the DNA tests are sent out with only a number code on them. You can order as many as you like, and a lot of people order more than one.

You hand them around and the people involved do their spit sample and post it off, all without attaching a name to it.

Then you can go online and provide a name to a code number. A few weeks later the results come in.

But the reality is you could provide any name you like to the sample, it wouldn't have to be your real name.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

Well, I managed to transfer with the GEDCOM the whole tree to The Tribal Pages just with few clicks, but it did not transfer photos.  I also managed to transfer the GEDCOM to WIKITREE but it only went there as a list of people, and now apparently, I need to enter each into the tree!!!  That will take me few years, I guess 😞  

Tell your Italian friend to join the My Heritage free and see, they offer for free lot more than Ancestry.  I entered into Ancestry as much as I could before my subscription ran out.  Hopefully it would be enough for anybody who has common ancestors to connect to my trees placed elsewhere. 

Interestingly, I found heaps of info about some branches of my family, yet others wit some prominent people I cannot find any connections.  One of my ancestors was in   parliament , other a judge.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply