Why does my internet keep cutting out?

artforartssake
Community Member

I recently replaced my aging 10-yr old Thomson TG-782T modem with a new Telstra T-Gateway modem, (which shows up on Device Manager as a “Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter”). I had decided to replace the old modem because it was continually cutting out, requiring me to restart the computer every time.  

But now, with the new modem, the service is even worse. The internet is constantly cutting out,  except that this time, it doesn’t help to simply restart the laptop: I have to uninstall the modem via device manager, then restart the laptop, and then log on to my internet service. It’s very frustrating especially after having paid $190 for the new modem. I’ve tried the option to update driver software via the control panel, but it tells me that I already have the latest version, which is 3.0.2.201 dated 27 Feb 2016.

I’m with Telstra Bigpond. I have a three-yr old ASUS Laptop series F550L running Win 10.  Apart from this problem, the laptop works perfectly. We also run two mobile phones and an Apple ipad off the same wifi and never have a problem with those: only the laptop is giving me this headache.

Any ideas?

Photobucket
Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

artforartssake
Community Member

Hi,

anybody have any ideas how to fix my prob?

Art

Photobucket
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

Try updating your wireless card drivers.

You can find them on the laptop manufacturer website or directly from whatever brand wireless card you have.

Have you defragmented your disks?

Check what runs on startup,(there may be a high number of programs that run on startup).

Have you done a virus/malware scan?

Use the Asus helpline if you get stuck: https://www.asus.com/au/support/

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Thanks, will give that a go!

Art

Photobucket
Message 4 of 4
Latest reply