Community Member

Re: Barn Find

in reply to the*scarlet*pimpernel

Just went back to lift a pic of it and it sold....... $3999 :_| spartan looking machine love the double seats

Ural listed on the 28th June sold on the 1st July... the quick and the dead

atheism is a non prophet organization
Community Member

there was a bloke killed on a Ural here about a fortnight ago :-(

Community Member

there was a bloke killed on a Ural here about a fortnight ago :-(

yeah they still import them

..... there are some wicked looking machines that have had sidecars attached I found this when searching this morning....

completed listings search ebay 28 june

YAMAHA XT500 SIDECAR, BUSH TOURER

Community Member

Pimpy--the remote would not open the boot-and was easier to open

the door with the key.-lol.

Notice a few posters interested in motor bikes.

Have a scarce book--A-Z of Australian made Motorcycles 1893-1942.

By Robert Saward--+ plus a supplement---signed by the author.

Well over 100 makers-in that time period.--interesting book..............Richo.

Community Member

I don't remember xt's having that type of fuel tank. but the rest of it looks like an XT.

Hubby has a 74 mx250. Apparently they were feisty little dirt bikes in their day.

I think riding in a side car would have to be a ballclenching experience. whizzing along so close to the road with no control, nup, no thanks.

A mate of ours tried to sell us his 1970 something SR1100. It has saddle bags and windshield and stuff. But again, we already have more bikes that we need.

Those Goulding pics look like fun.

Community Member

yeah it is an aftermarket touring tank.. should be silver I think

Bil and I many years ago were preparing for a road ride BIl had xt 500 I had SR500 BIL had other rear wheel and sprocket with Parelli Phantom for road ride

...cleans bike thoroughly  with washing up detergent after fitting other rear tyre 

( was his pride and joy)  upon leaving quiet caravan park to the annoyance of most residents sans baffle ......lights it up on running boards of wooden bridge over creek as we leave caravan park

..detergent makes rear tyre smoke and spin on slippery wood....

..... rear wheel falls off running boards and catches on horizontal boards...rider and bike part ...Smiley Indifferent ...pronto 

BIL slides along wooden bridge until back, bum, and rear thigh are full of splinters that are still attached to bridge running boards and bring him to a halt

...classic human pincushion impression ensues

. meanwhile bike (pride and joy) gracefully pirouettes off ballast board and into salt water creek 9 odd feet down

......... eee awww ambulance and a weeks stay in hospital.... his dad laughed for years afterwards when anybody suggested he was a chip off the old block

Community Member

Smiley Surprised

:_|

:^O

I know I shouldn't laugh, but that is funny.

Is there any of those bridges left?  They replaced all the ones in the Walgett area over the past few years, it was sad to see them go, although they were a menace for bikes

Community Member

yes plenty of them..... since April a lot have been relocated..... about 30 metres down stream.

Because most of the mid north coast is really populated on the escarpment of the GDR there are huge gullies everywhere

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-02/nc-bridge-follo/4604508

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Deep+creek+bridge+Valla&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48572450,d.aGc&biw=994&bih=592&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=oPbRUfLfC-jUigfq5oG4BA#facrc=_&imgrc=aeTRM3MXwZILUM%3A%3BJWmDJYlqPNIS9M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmedia2.apnonline.com.au%252Fimg%252Fmedia%252Fimages%252F2010%252F12%252F22%252FCCA_23-12-2010_EGN_04_deep%252520creek_t460.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.coffscoastadvocate.com.au%252Fnews%252Fbridge-nightmare-almost-over-for-valla-residents%252F728764%252F%3B460%3B284

http://www.nambuccaguardian.com.au/story/1438511/bleak-outlook-for-nambucca-shire/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/debrockstroh/3420314273/in/photostream/lightbox/

Community Member

wouldn't an army outfit more likely be a M20 BSA ? 600cc sidevalve single, all torque. .

or a WLA harley outfit, these were common once 750 flathead (sidevalve) V twin. reverse gear too.

Community Member

the ural (or cossack) is a pre-war BMW  design. rap the mudguards with the knuckles and it is a thicker guage steel than most car bodies.

Community Member

Hi Lakeland-good to see you taking a short break from the

campaign trail to post on here.

I admire your knowledge of motoring history.

Hope Viewmont finds this thread-he is a classic.

Colic--have tears in my eyes thinking about those splinters.

Great thread Pimpy -hope it keeps going.................Richo.

Community Member

Community Member

wouldn't an army outfit more likely be a M20 BSA ? 600cc sidevalve single, all torque. .

or a WLA harley outfit, these were common once 750 flathead (sidevalve) V twin. reverse gear too.

Yes agreed, they already have a BSA, ...the brief is

....Anything that could be mocked up as war issue as long as it has a sidecar.There is a pic of a local who was a despatch rider at the museum during WW2 on a Norton hence the preference

The intent is to use it in  parades, field days and displays under club rego. The Jeeps, Landies and Blitz are used at Local Anzac parades to carry those veterans that would find it hard to march the distance.

Community Member

in reply to colic2bullsgirlore

: one of those XL(?)350's that Honda made would mock-up OK, its a vertical single so the engine would look close as you could get for a reasonable outlay. everything else is worth too much that i can think of.. i've seen a home-made chair with a leaf spring from a fiat topolino used, and some heavy pipe. the dusting style chair was made out of marine ply with a solid timber bottom bolted to the mounts he'd welded on. i think the fuel tank , seat and side covers would need replacing with more sympathetic period style items, and the front guard (mounted at the right height) i'd also put gaiters on the forks and drop the bike at the front a bit by loosening the triple trees and forcing the stanchions up an inch or so will lower the front.. heaps of olive drab and it would look passable to the crowd, as you know nobody else will be fooled though.Robot LOL

PS i think it also needs a headlight/nacelle and tail light,  some trailer light might do the tail light job.

Community Member

in reply to lakeland27

Image0428.jpg

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Community Member

in reply to viewmont1071

Image0435.jpg

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Community Member

in reply to viewmont1071

debbo.jpg

Community Member

in reply to lakeland27

^^^^^^ Eric,??? Black lightning and Alan.... a winning classy trio ^^^^^

Community Member

Da daa the mueum comittee are getting a call today search

1942 BSA WM20 & DUSTING SIDECAR

Hopefully the comittee will form a scrum and attack ... I think it is a little overpriced........ around 10 to 11 and it loooooks good.....

I wonder whether it will handle a road trip home East across the Nullarbor??? and whether my rrrs will take it

... from the listing a little censored

With the chair connected, she's no racer! However, she will go for hours if your rrrs will last. Smiley LOL

Community Member

Thats the ticket , flat out without the chair 60mph. thats a long Nullabor trip. they have a lot of grunt down low though.

Smiley Happy