Fraudulent listings. The Google escrow/wallet scam

Hi,

I have reported fraudulent vehicle listingings to ebay but they remain listed.  There are a multitude of classified adds for vehicles on ebay that are Google escrow/wallet scams.

You contact the seller to enquire about an offer too good to ignore and a few days later they text you an email address to your mobile phone. You contact them saying you are still interested and then they give you a **bleep** and bull story about being in the army and being transferred, that they want to be paid by Google wallet and they will freight you the car.  There are heaps off listings like this as classified adds, all from members with 0 selling history.  

My question is: after reporting them how can ebay allow these fraudulent listings to continue??  Also, how do these scammers get your phone number so as to contact you? Does ebay give your contact detals to a seller when you ask a question to the seller?

Cheers.

Matt.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Interesting. IMO I would call ebay, as opposed to reporting the item and speak to someone ( Supervisor) and tell them the full story. 

I really wouldn't think ebay would give out information that readily. 

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Well it's November now and I have been disappointed several times in the last week to find exactly the same thing you describe is still happening. It has taken me a little while to realise how prolific these scammers are after wasting my time looking for a suitable vehicle only to find it's a con.

I have reported to eBay but their policy is they won't tell you what the outcome of their investigation is for privacy reasons. The listing I reported is still active.

I won't be wasting any more time with eBay, it is too frustrating and it appears they don't care much.

Regards

Clint

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply