Mechanic Looking for automotive parts position,brisbane south side

Hi there, can anyone out there help? Been a mechanic for the last 20 years and 2 years ago suffered a shoulder injury. My shoulder is now comming right (After surgery) BUT I have to hang up the spanners. I  would love to get into the parts side of things and see there is a lack of experience behind some counters. If anyone knows anyone that could help me get started in the automotive parts etc, would be much Appreciated!! Thanks for taking the time to Veiw this tread.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Some links for you to look at. If you are retraining specifically because of your injury you may be able to get some government assistance. There are also remote courses available. From my experience (I am a mechanic turned parts interpreter) Trust me... parts interpretation is not as easy as it looks.... or as easy as some people make it look The fatal mistake (from experience) is declaring to a customer "Trust me....I am a mechanic" It's just easier to assist them all you can but don't tell them what you think is wrong with their car, how to fix it, how to bodge it or how much it will cost to fix because if you mention any of the aforesaid and you get a comeback because of a massive breakdown.... then all hell generally breaks loose... even if it was not your fault. You may be able to apply for RPL (recognition of prior learning) to cover someof your cert 2 Lastly dealerships often offer adult traineeships (because they get you cheap0 but advertise them more in the car sales line like this one advertised as Automotive Salesperson (Parts Interpreting) http://qtis.training.qld.gov.au/Qualification/Details?modelCode=AUR31012A&version=0&trainingCatalogN... Hope this helps cheers Dave course links below http://www.developmyskills.com.au/course/certificate-2-in-automotive-sales-aur21105 http://training.gov.au/Training/Details/AUR21105?releaseId=76420799-8c94-4667-8e1a-3487e85489d8&tabl...
TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks Dave for taking the time to reply. I didn't think for a minute it was going to be easy and it's not. This is all new to me, but I do look forward to the challenge. Do you enjoy the parts side of it or do you  miss the hands on stuff? I will look into the links you profided and again Thanks VERY much for your reply!  I will let you know how I go. Cheers Shayne

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Yes it's satisfying, but it can be repetitive and some parts of the job description are downright boring.

You really need to have an affinity for numbers, enjoy problem solving and  accuracy

I moved on to my certificate 4 and then graduate diploma in workplace assessment and training and now

teach casually at Tafe and other training venues and only make "guest appearances" parts interpreting.

I still end up with a black knee worshipping "the great spanner god" using my good arm while pointing friends, relatives and wannabes in the right direction....

This may be a direction you could also consider if retraining...

http://www.plentytraining.edu.au/online-courses/certificate-iv-in-training-and-assessment-tae40110

The TAE40110 is Australia’s newest Certificate IV in Training and Assessment. 

The TAE40110 replaces the older TAA40104 qualification and is the new standard in becoming a qualified trainer. 

It allows you to work within the entire vocational education and training (VET) sector – with typical job titles including workplace trainer; workplace assessor; registered training organisation (RTO) or TAFE trainer; RTO or TAFE assessor; training adviser; training needs analyst; and vocational education teacher.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

What kind of mechanicing have you been involved in? Cars only, or any heavy transport experience?

Yes, I have an opinion. No you don't have to agree with it. Yes I do have a right to it.
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Hi there, cars and light truck and a little heavy truck but only brakes, wheel bearings. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my ad. Regards Shayne. 

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply