is this fake?

2009mell
Community Member
hi people, have been in contact with a seller for car found on the trading post site. Deal is good, but is it too good? Apparently the owner just moved to uk after divorce. Car is meant to be at transport company in Aust, revs check confirmed what it is and where its registered.
My problem is, the owners email tells me that she has a contract with ebay to sell the car through them... then says...
deal will go like this (remember Ive never used ebay for more than small stuff).
1, i give her my details and shipping address
2, she informs ebay and ebay sends me an invoice for amount payable
3, i pay ebay and the car is "shipped" to me at no cost to me
4, i have 5 days to have the car inspected and decide whether i want it.
5, if i want it ebay pays her, if i dont, she sends for the car, ebay refunds my money and thats the end of that......

Is this a SCAM? Or is this a legitimate way for difficult situation sales to be managed by ebay????
Please Help, still waiting for ebay support to get back to me..
Message 1 of 117
Latest reply
116 REPLIES 116

is this fake?

flanmur
Community Member
no problem, dont like seeing anybody getting their hard earned $$$$$$ ripped off.... the report autobot or an ebay sycophant button pusher reported the four one nine post and I got a smack on the bot bot ... not to worry my bot bot needs lashings of soothing cream most mornings from the faux pas posts the night b4

Some people just don't like to see things as they are or be told the "Painful" truth.
Really It is the down fall of this site.

419 scammers are relient on greed.Not their own but those that don't mind taking risks for a percieved saving or bargain on an item that costs a lot more than what they are offering.

I have never not seen and touched a bargain...
Anything else is fairy tales.

Report away!@!
Message 11 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

2009mell
Community Member
Thanks for all the helpful feedback people! I tried to rationalise my sinking feeling when talking to the supposed seller, remember someone always told you to never look a gift horse in the mouth..?
Sooo glad I did, so thankful for the confirmation I wasn't a complete nutter and all your help.
Message 12 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

2009mell
Community Member
Oh, and Viewmont.... hope the "bot bot" is ok ...:^O
Message 13 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

lazarovski2008
Community Member
Hi this has just happened to me today. My husband found the ad in the Telegraph and I emailed saying that I ws interested in the car and got the story of the divorce and that see has moved to the UK. I had a felling that it was to good to be true so I contacted ebay to see if it was fake and it is. The thing taht triggered me off was that payment had to be made via Western Union Money Transfer so I checked with some people from work and was told not to do it. I just hope that no one has actually sent her anything we almost did.
Message 14 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha you would be a fool if you took this deal they are out to rip you off mate aaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha
Message 15 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

jozja84
Community Member
Hi there was this regarding an outlander??
I was looking at the same car myself
Message 16 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

2009mell
Community Member
hi lazarovski2008,
I have been looking for a particular car for about 4 months now, for every 10 I have found in my price range I believe 4 are possible scams.
I have done REVS checks and even found out the name and address of a registered owner, hit the white pages for a number, called and got a man who had called the police 2 weeks before because a man was seen taking photos of his car out the front of his house by his neighbour, it was certainly NOT for sale... HE was not a divorced woman, and was mighty thankful I had gotten in touch with him.
BE CAREFUL, they prey on women in particular, I got my brother and my brother in law to enquire about 2 different
cars I suspected were scams, my emails were replied to immediately, they were not replied to at all.
We ladies are more likely to be understanding and less suspicious of another woman, and a tragic divorce story only lessens our guard.... Good Luck and Happy Hunting
Message 17 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

mcbemma
Community Member
Hi
I have been asking the same thing. Is this a red mazda? I have gone through all the steps. The dodgey thing is how you pay through western union. .. I did get a text though. I wonder how they got my phone number?
Message 18 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

flanmur
Community Member
These scam's are primarily after your cash and secondry it is about your identity.

They are compiling information on people that are ready to be fleeced.

If you don't put yourself in a position to be ripped-off then you have nothing to worry about.
Message 19 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

2009mell
Community Member
hey mcbemma,
no, the first scam i found was for a 100 series cruiser wagon. That was a few weeks ago, and my first post looking for help in here. Since then, 4 other 100 series cruisers, 2 nissan patrols, a pajero and an xtrail.....all claiming different stories about living in other countries for different reasons( one heartless bastard actually claimed to be a single Aussie mum in the states for an operation on her sick daughter!!!)
They ALL want your details.... they WONT give you theirs....
BE CAREFUL, after speaking with my freinds hubby that is a detective in VIC, these scams are everywhere, are nearly impossible to track down, and once they have your full name you would be horrified the information they could have access to.
Message 20 of 117
Latest reply