crackdown on messages

I have been reading on these boards about "crackdowns" on messaging.  I am confused, as I had not heard anything about this, or what it entails.  I have always been under the impression that as a Seller, I am obliged to answer any questions put to me by potential Buyers, now it seems a lot of other Sellers are refusing to answer questions because they fear getting their accounts suspended by eBay ?? Can someone please explain this to me. Doesn't not answering questions then get you low DSR's for communication? I realize some of this has to do with exchanging information regarding pick ups, but it seems there are other reasons involved here as well.  As a buyer, I recently had a Seller message me via eBay messaging and suggest we deal outside eBay. I did not want to ignore that message, as I thought it may implicate me, so I told them in no uncertain terms "NO" and warned them about suggesting this. I also had a buyer ask if I had a particular item and would be listing it soon..I messaged back that I had others I may list soon, but not the one they were looking for.  Surely these types of messages are allowed?? I would be interested in hearing what others are experiencing.

View Entire Topic

Nothing at all stopping you from answering messages regarding your items, or items you may be listing in the future. The restriction is on giving out contact details - phone number, e-mail address, physical address.

Just don't do that, and you shouldn't have any sort of problem...