Advice please

A potential buyer has been messaging me about making a large purchase to send to her overseas.

The problem is that today she has just sent me a message which has included her mailing address. She's a relatively inexperienced buyer so I undertand it's an oversight, but will Ebay penalise me because she's sent her address to me? I have never asked her for this information and was just waiting on her to confirm the quantity she was after.

UGH!

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Advice please

I would thank her...but also send her the link, explaining why neither of you should be exchanging that sort of info yet....then eBay can see that you are 'trying to educate your buyer:.....gets you off the hook ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Advice please

I think if it was to happen it would have happened already.

I would shoot off a message explaining you will set up a special listing for her, if that is your intent, just so eBay can see you are trading on eBay in case they decide to look at your messages.

image host
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Advice please

Thanks everyone - this has definitely caused me a bit of stress today. I have sent her a message explaining Ebay's policy and hopefully that will be the end of it. If Ebay do look in the messages they will see that I have tried to do the right thing.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Advice please

I had a member enquiring about an item who sent me his email address. I replied to him through ebay. A week later he sent me a message saying that he was banned by ebay, the message had his email address again. I never heard anything back from him.

So your potential buyer may already be banned.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Advice please

has anyone actually come across this sort of issue with ebay banning people when addresses are exchanged if it's an international address?

seems silly to me - you're not exactly going to fly there to hand-deliver an item. i can see the reason for the policy, but the likelihood of any "outside trading" seems low. 

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Advice please

you're not exactly going to fly there to hand-deliver an item.

You jest, you really are not prepared to jump in your helicopter with your monkey suit under your flight gear and hand deliver on a silver platter. Some sellers just don't have a clue about customer service.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Advice please

@lm-entertainmentwrote:

has anyone actually come across this sort of issue with ebay banning people when addresses are exchanged if it's an international address?

seems silly to me - you're not exactly going to fly there to hand-deliver an item. i can see the reason for the policy, but the likelihood of any "outside trading" seems low. 

No but I think the point is that eBay is trying to stop communication leading to off eBay sales.

Email addy, street addy and phone number can all be used to trade off eBay.

(International addy means you can write and make offers)

image host
Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Advice please

@kopenhagen5wrote:

@lm-entertainmentwrote:

No but I think the point is that eBay is trying to stop communication leading to off eBay sales.

Email addy, street addy and phone number can all be used to trade off eBay.

(International addy means you can write and make offers)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ebay may assume they've already made the payment privately. 

I've had three or four people give me their phone number in the last few months but never been penalised so I can only assume none of them got picked up.  Funny thing is that nobody ever used to send me their phone numbers and ask me to ring them until they started clamping down on this.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Advice please

I am not sure how they decide who gets banned when or in some cases not ever - no matter how many times they keep doing it.

this seller in my category for example

ebay have been deleting the phone number but not address sometimes

but they keep adding the phone and address

and no ban or demotion in best match at all - by now I am sure most of us would be finished

not sure why the almighty buyers would get banned and this seller is golden

ebay item number:

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply