Australia Post Express Network

Does anyone have a link to the express network postcodes for Australia Post? As in a pdf.

They seem to have changed the website around and all I can find and use is the postage calculator. I have been using express post quite regularly and they are mostly late.....

I now plan on going back through a heap of tracking number from the last few months and checking what was delivered on time. Each express satchel is worth about $10 so it is well worth it to get replacements.

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

My point is that what works for you does not necessarily work for others.

INCLUDING your potential buyers. Whose local PO could well be open on Saturday or until 6pm. Who don't know or trust their neighbours. Who live rural or on the other side of the town/city from the courier depot.

As I said, couriers work for you. That doesn't mean they will work for your customers. Who should be your main focus. I certainly wouldn't buy from somebody who saved me a dollar in postage by using a courier, but then cost me an hour and $10 running costs of my car to collect.

I suggest you give your buyers the option.

Message 21 of 59
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

My point is that what works for you does not necessarily work for others.

INCLUDING your potential buyers. Whose local PO could well be open on Saturday or until 6pm. Who don't know or trust their neighbours. Who live rural or on the other side of the town/city from the courier depot.

As I said, couriers work for you. That doesn't mean they will work for your customers. Who should be your main focus. I certainly wouldn't buy from somebody who saved me a dollar in postage by using a courier, but then cost me an hour and $10 running costs of my car to collect.

I suggest you give your buyers the option.

Dave that is 100% all I have been saying 

I am not sure about offering both not sure how it would go with the Ebay system if it is possible I may do that if I get to point using a courier seems worth while to me, but if it is not practical or wise to offer both I will be happy to lose the few buyers who can not use couriers to offer a cheaper and faster service to buyers who can

Message 22 of 59
Latest reply

Which may well be an uneconomic proportion of your potential market.

Carry on.

Message 23 of 59
Latest reply

@247newdeals wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

If I decide to sell more on EBay I will use a courier service and if that means YOU will not buy from me fine I will be doing it to provide the best cheapest and fastest service I can and AusPost does not offer that

Couriers work for you. Great.

But you seem to be at home all day to accept delivery. A buyer would probably consider the time until they actually picked it up from the depot to be the delivery time. Not necessarily faster than a 'slower' AP service.

How many buyers have day jobs and can't be available for courier delivery? Many, I'd warrant. Do your lower postage prices (assuming you pass them on) make up for the time and vehicle wear to have to pick up from a depot which is usually much further away than the Post Office? Doubtful.

Horses for courses and couriers need special courses. They are certainly NOT a blanket solution, which is why AP still make money from parcel post.

For the times I am out during the day(Which is ofteen) I leave a note on the door asking for parcels to be left at a neighbours house having a job does not make getting deliveries hard there are ways around it. Now you are saying if you work it is better to be carded by AusPost for me I would be 100% screwed because the local PO where all the parcels go to does not open on a Saturday so I would never get a parcel unless I got it left at a neighbours house.

I do not think AusPost do a bad job and as a seller I am currently happy to use them as a buyer I know it will take a lot longer but it arrives eventually so ok.

All I was posting about is Lyndia seems to have a dislike of couriers and keeps posting buyers will avoid sellers who use courier which I do not think is true and couriers do a lot better job than AusPost in a lot of cases

And FYI if I eventaully use a courier and save money yes I will pass that one to the buyer one thing I currently strongly dislike, as a seller, is having to charge buyers an extra $14.70 a sale to cover Auspost postage I would love to get that amount down

I am one of those buyers that "Lyndia" is referring to. I avoid sellers using couriers like the plague. You see, not everyone lives in the city. Some people live in regional and rural areas, so going to a depot to pick up a parcel could be a 3-400km round trip. City people forget that there is life outside of the city limits. Look on Google Earth and you'll see all these places outside the city and how far a lot of them are from the next place. Eye opening, isn't it?

Last year I had a parcel sent by courier. As my luck goes, it was at a depot nearly 200km away. I wasn't going to do a nearly 400km round trip for a $50 item. There was no mention in the listing that it was to be sent by courier or I wouldn't have bought it. After countless phone calls to that courier company trying to get it sent to my house, no go. It got sent back to the seller and I got a refund. The seller lost out because not only did they refund my delivery cost, they had to pay to have it sent back to them.

Even if an item does end up at a local courier depot, it's not always convenient to get there during their opening hours because of the hours I work. My post office is open 7am to 6pm so I can go first thing in the morning, or last thing in the afternoon if I have to pick anything up. None of the couriers around here are open those sorts of hours. Last time one got stuck at a local depot it was 10 days before I could collect it. If I was a bad buyer, I would have dinged the sellers stars and probably left them bad feedback.

So, while it might be convenient for you living in the city and having a courier on every corner, it's not always suitable for buyers (and sellers) outside the city.

This conversation is like deja vu.........

Message 24 of 59
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I may have some idea why that is...

I may be butting in where I'm not welcome, newdeals seems perfectly capable of speaking for themselves, but seriously... 

They've acknowledged all of the points everyone has made against couriers more than once, and reiterated why they will prefer them, so the "cons" of couriers are made again and the cycle begins anew. Smiley Frustrated

Yes, there are a lot of buyers who can't use / don't like couriers, but on the flip side, eBay is full of sellers who can only use couriers, and a lot of them seem to be doing just fine, so maybe we can leave it at just because it won't work for everyone, doesn't mean it won't work for anyone?

Message 25 of 59
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@247newdeals wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

If I decide to sell more on EBay I will use a courier service and if that means YOU will not buy from me fine I will be doing it to provide the best cheapest and fastest service I can and AusPost does not offer that

Couriers work for you. Great.

But you seem to be at home all day to accept delivery. A buyer would probably consider the time until they actually picked it up from the depot to be the delivery time. Not necessarily faster than a 'slower' AP service.

How many buyers have day jobs and can't be available for courier delivery? Many, I'd warrant. Do your lower postage prices (assuming you pass them on) make up for the time and vehicle wear to have to pick up from a depot which is usually much further away than the Post Office? Doubtful.

Horses for courses and couriers need special courses. They are certainly NOT a blanket solution, which is why AP still make money from parcel post.

For the times I am out during the day(Which is ofteen) I leave a note on the door asking for parcels to be left at a neighbours house having a job does not make getting deliveries hard there are ways around it. Now you are saying if you work it is better to be carded by AusPost for me I would be 100% screwed because the local PO where all the parcels go to does not open on a Saturday so I would never get a parcel unless I got it left at a neighbours house.

I do not think AusPost do a bad job and as a seller I am currently happy to use them as a buyer I know it will take a lot longer but it arrives eventually so ok.

All I was posting about is Lyndia seems to have a dislike of couriers and keeps posting buyers will avoid sellers who use courier which I do not think is true and couriers do a lot better job than AusPost in a lot of cases

And FYI if I eventaully use a courier and save money yes I will pass that one to the buyer one thing I currently strongly dislike, as a seller, is having to charge buyers an extra $14.70 a sale to cover Auspost postage I would love to get that amount down

I am one of those buyers that "Lyndia" is referring to. I avoid sellers using couriers like the plague. You see, not everyone lives in the city. Some people live in regional and rural areas, so going to a depot to pick up a parcel could be a 3-400km round trip. City people forget that there is life outside of the city limits. Look on Google Earth and you'll see all these places outside the city and how far a lot of them are from the next place. Eye opening, isn't it?

Last year I had a parcel sent by courier. As my luck goes, it was at a depot nearly 200km away. I wasn't going to do a nearly 400km round trip for a $50 item. There was no mention in the listing that it was to be sent by courier or I wouldn't have bought it. After countless phone calls to that courier company trying to get it sent to my house, no go. It got sent back to the seller and I got a refund. The seller lost out because not only did they refund my delivery cost, they had to pay to have it sent back to them.

Even if an item does end up at a local courier depot, it's not always convenient to get there during their opening hours because of the hours I work. My post office is open 7am to 6pm so I can go first thing in the morning, or last thing in the afternoon if I have to pick anything up. None of the couriers around here are open those sorts of hours. Last time one got stuck at a local depot it was 10 days before I could collect it. If I was a bad buyer, I would have dinged the sellers stars and probably left them bad feedback.

So, while it might be convenient for you living in the city and having a courier on every corner, it's not always suitable for buyers (and sellers) outside the city.

I mainly sell Android Tv Boxes and as one thing your going to need is decent Internet connection so your not really my target market. At the end of the day I will aim to the majority of buyer and that is the people who live in cities and towns now if I was selling a product that was suited rural living say water tanks than I would be looking for the best way to post rurally. If that works out to be AusPost fine otherwise I would be looking for a courier that would deliver to the door in rural areas, if there is such a thing I do not know.

At the end of the day you know that delivery is not smooth to you so if I lived in your position when I bought items I would be making sure the delivery method suited me you can not expect sellers to provide an inferior service, to the majority, because it does not suit a minority. 

Stories like this give me nightmares and sometimes I wish I could block rural buyers

As you live rurally don't you think it would be nice to contact sellers and check they use a delivery system that works for you? You are very seasoned on Ebay and you know that a large percentage of sellers are hobby sellers and you know Ebay does not make things simple for us. Buyers are happy to just buy then the seller can get hit if things do not work out.If you know you live in an area where delivery is hard a quick message can save a lot of grief. If you did message the seller asking first then the seller is a bloody idiot but if you did not then I do not see how this makes courier services bad it is just people buying things being delivered through a system that does not suit them that is the problem

Message 26 of 59
Latest reply

When the postage says that it's being sent by Australia Post Parcel with Tracking, one would assume that the item is to be sent via Australia Post with Tracking. Especially when it's written in the description and the postage section. There are options when listing to put courier in the postage section, so what is the point in contacting every seller asking if they have made a mistake in their listing? I am one of the few people that do actually read descriptions. If the seller says in the description that they post via Australia Post, then why would I have any reason to believe otherwise?

I live out of the city, but I still live in a major regional centre. People living outside the city still have high speed internet connections. A lot of areas have the NBN now, so have a faster connection than a lot of the cities do. There is electricity outside of the city you know, and also phones. We stopped using candles and carrier pigeons a few years back. Apparently we're getting running water soon too, so they tell me, and also cars.

We also have courier companies, but not the amount that people in the city do. Regional areas tend to have the big ones, like Toll, but not garbage ones like Fastaway. If something gets sent by one of the garbage ones, then it means a long trip to pick it up. I am not going to buy something with cheap delivery costs only to have to spend a day and $70 in petrol going to collect it. I may as well have just driven to the city to buy it.

Then there is the hours. Not everyone works 9-5 five days a week in an office. Therefore, not everyone is in a position where they can duck out in their lunch break, or before work to pick up something from the courier depot. I would much prefer to pay a few bucks extra and have it delivered to my home or preferrably, to the post office as there is more chance of me being able to collect it from there. If I know that my hours are going to prevent me getting to the PO when I'm expecting a delivery, I'll have it sent to work.

If you don't want to sell to people in rural areas, that's your business, but given that most of what I sell is to people in rural areas, I won't be stopping that any time soon. I have no desire to buy an android tv box, so you have no worries about me buying anything off you. If you don't want to send to rural areas, block them. Simple. It's your sales that will suffer, not mine.

Message 27 of 59
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

When the postage says that it's being sent by Australia Post Parcel with Tracking, one would assume that the item is to be sent via Australia Post with Tracking. Especially when it's written in the description and the postage section. There are options when listing to put courier in the postage section, so what is the point in contacting every seller asking if they have made a mistake in their listing? I am one of the few people that do actually read descriptions. If the seller says in the description that they post via Australia Post, then why would I have any reason to believe otherwise?

I live out of the city, but I still live in a major regional centre. People living outside the city still have high speed internet connections. A lot of areas have the NBN now, so have a faster connection than a lot of the cities do. There is electricity outside of the city you know, and also phones. We stopped using candles and carrier pigeons a few years back. Apparently we're getting running water soon too, so they tell me, and also cars.

We also have courier companies, but not the amount that people in the city do. Regional areas tend to have the big ones, like Toll, but not garbage ones like Fastaway. If something gets sent by one of the garbage ones, then it means a long trip to pick it up. I am not going to buy something with cheap delivery costs only to have to spend a day and $70 in petrol going to collect it. I may as well have just driven to the city to buy it.

Then there is the hours. Not everyone works 9-5 five days a week in an office. Therefore, not everyone is in a position where they can duck out in their lunch break, or before work to pick up something from the courier depot. I would much prefer to pay a few bucks extra and have it delivered to my home or preferrably, to the post office as there is more chance of me being able to collect it from there. If I know that my hours are going to prevent me getting to the PO when I'm expecting a delivery, I'll have it sent to work.

If you don't want to sell to people in rural areas, that's your business, but given that most of what I sell is to people in rural areas, I won't be stopping that any time soon. I have no desire to buy an android tv box, so you have no worries about me buying anything off you. If you don't want to send to rural areas, block them. Simple. It's your sales that will suffer, not mine.

Just because a company does not want to waste money to suit the needs of people who choose to remove themselves from the main stream does not make them garbage it makes them sensible. The fact is they give a good service to those of us who choose to live in cities/town. You live in rural Australia but get upset because couriers do not give you the same service as they do to people living in cities. I am thinking maybe I should start using a courier now maybe it will decrease the risk of getting a buyer who expects way to much and will more than likely end up costing me money. Either way I love getting my items fast and delivered professionally by couriers love living in the city it works so well.

Message 28 of 59
Latest reply

So you think that anyone not living in the city is not in the mainstream?

I am sure that there are a huge number of people who do not live within sight of the sea will be pleased to hear that you consider them to be "alternative lifestylers".

Message 29 of 59
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

So you think that anyone not living in the city is not in the mainstream?

I am sure that there are a huge number of people who do not live within sight of the sea will be pleased to hear that you consider them to be "alternative lifestylers".

Nothing wrong with choosing to live an alternative lifestyle it just makes me laugh when people decide to do that then complain they do not get the same service as people who live in a city. BTW I wish I live within sight of the sea and a lot who do live in small community's, A courier who does not venture out into woop woop is not **bleep** they just want to try to be running next year they are fine for city dweller's and do a way better job than AusPost 

Message 30 of 59
Latest reply