Brand NEW buyers

Well, we were warned when we started, 'Don't sell to new buyers', but we thought that was unfair as everyone has to start somewhere.

We've only had a handful, but each one has been problematic. I notice they appear young too.

One at the moment is a classic. 'Burnouts' in new pipes? Anyone who knows just a little about pipes knows this can happen in only one way and that is by allowing the pipe to become way too hot, exceedingly hand burning hot, during the break in process. Or, they have otherwise subscribed to the urban myth of breaking in a new pipe by hanging it, lighted, outside the window of a car travelling at say 30 miles per hour. That is one sure fire (no pun intended) way of scorching and blackening the heel of a new pipe, and that is exactly what has happened in this case. The pics are very clear. And, it's over such a large area - the complete heel of the pipe.

This is what we are dealing with, although we have not put this to the buyer, or otherwise suggested any fault on their part. Pointless in the beginning because it straight away creates confrontation. It has prompted me though, to be explicit with breaking in instructions with future dispatches. Things get so wordy though, in trying to cover 'all the bases.'

Anyway, we've offered one of two others, more expensive, that we have of the same brand, but not the same model, as replacements. No extra cost to the buyer.  They are both substantially more attractive, at least to me. The buyer refused. He wants the same. I've explained that being a vintage, but still new pipe, I can't replace it. I reiterated my offer of one of the two more expensive pipes and the alternative of a full refund. Answer, 'I want what I bought replaced.' I've not responded as yet. Giorgy and Barry both tell me I'm being way too soft and to hit him between the eyes with what's he's done, but what's that going to prove?

I can see some 'red' coming in from this buyer, even though we are 'bending over for Rover.'

I really hate it, but I think after this we're going to become another one of 'those sellers' who won't sell to newbies.

Suggestions appreciated.

Melina (fretting again)

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Brand NEW buyers

Hmmmm, got me thinking

I am wondering if they are on Facebook?  wondering if there are any photos/selfies they have posted 'clowing around' with the pipe

I was wondering something else in regards to what the pipe may have been 'used' to do , but I would probably get a dressing down from a mod if I suggested it could be a possibilty 

In any case, I can see how hard you try to do all you can for your buyers, and go above and beyond

Sadly, as I said in a post the other day, no matter how much a seller does and how well they do it, at the end of the day it is all about the buyer (even if the buyer in question far from being honest)

Message 11 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

It's a possibility alright Bear.

Giorgy pointed something else out to me this morning. The chamber of the pipe is already so caked up. It looks like a pipe that is 12 months old with an extremely careless  owner, not just used three times.

The boys are expert at what they do. 100 years experience between them. I need to listen.

I won't be replacing the pipe and will fight any attempt to refund.

And,  no more new buyers. I know it seems unfair and makes things hard for decent people, but that's the way of the world isn't it. The majority suffer because of just a few selfish and dishonest opportunists.

i was told another thing when we returned and that was that within 12 months of coming back here, my attitude would change quite substantially. Sadly, well I think it's sad, that's happening too.

I'm relaxed about it all now. All good 🙂

Melina.

Message 12 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

When I see someone with less than 10 feedbacks (especially one with 0) has bought, I, too, throw my hands up in the air and exclaim "Oh, great!". I do this too when I see an American has bought. I have said in numerous threads that over 20% of American buyers in my shop make some sort of refund claims. Then when a claim from these high-alert groups does happen, I will say "That's it! I'm banning them all!". But then I would look at the numbers again and know that overall I still make profits off these people as a group.

I think over the years I have learned to somewhat detach myself from business problems. Some problems are more traumatic than others, but at the end of the day it is only money (don't let me stop you cursing them to hell). It is a lot easier to distance myself from business problems now that I only have web shops. I used to have a brick & mortar shop, if you want traumatic THAT was traumatic!

Message 13 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

I don't think there's any consistency to that sort of thing, except perhaps with individual sellers, and maybe across sellers in similar businesses, since they would generally be attracting similar customer types.

My problematic buyers tend to be yellow stars (10-49 FB), and red stars (1000-4999 FB), but they would only just edge out the "competition", so to speak, as the experience of a buyer on eBay doesn't really determine their honesty or ethics - that's a life experience thing. Of course, a new ebay account doesn't actually mean a new eBay member, at any rate, but the bulk of issues I have with low FB buyers are caused by misunderstandings, or them not knowing how to do something, or what general eBay ettiquette is. 

I also seem to have a problem with really great repeat buyers suddenly deciding to try something on, it's almost like they woke up one day and thought to themselves "I've been a great customer for a while now, I deserve to get something for free". It's really frustrating because I'll go above and beyond for those that treat me with respect - I give out free samples, include extra pieces in bulk packs, free upgrades to express etc. People who try something stupid lose all potential for that and just get blocked, regardless of how much they've spent with me in the past. 

Funnily enough, I rarely encounter any issues at all with US buyers, or international buyers full stop (with the notable exception of Italy; I used to think France was problematic as well, but eventually realised it's a tone thing, and once you start communicating effictively, the buyers are nice as Smiley Very Happy - the vast majority of issues have been with Aussies. Smiley Sad

One thing I will say is that a couple of years ago, I needed to block unverified accounts from being able to purchase from me in an attempt to thwart a vindictive scammer - problems in general were noticably reduced after that, and I applied it to all unverified accounts, not just those below a certain FB score. I generally have a dozen or so pages of blocked purchase attempts in my buyer activity log, so you definitely lose out on sales, but the reduction in problems has been worth keeping my sanity (relatively) in tact, and some people will still find a way to contact me one way or another, and if they look ok (FB wise), I'll exempt them. 

Message 14 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

I have found that lower priced items seem to have more complaints, I guess because of the customer base who expects to get the Hope diamond for the price of a $2 shop item.

Purely number-wise, Aussies are top in problems but it is also 95% of my trade. Percentage-wise Aussies are third after USA and Canada. USA is by far the most problematic in my shops with over 20%, Canada is around 5-6% and Aussies are less than half that. I never had problems sellig to Europe and Asia but I am very selective with the countries. Only Japan and Singapore in Asia and only the richest ones in Europe. Every transaction has been very pleasant.

As a seller, it is very unpleasant when things go pear-shaped, especially when we're convinced that the buyer is either a scammer or totally unreasonable. But hey, since when is it easy to earn money? This is the trade we choose, it can change our attitude and sanity, but we have to learn to not let that happen. Every occupation has its hazard. I know some problems are more traumatic than others but there is nothing that cannot be solved.

"This, too, shall pass" is a good motto. Man Happy

Message 15 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

@clubesquirewrote:

Thanks everyone for taking the time. You're all busy. I know that.

The  truth is we're still 'squabbling' about what to do here. But, we'll end it today.

We're not  that concerned about the red, which seems inevitable anyway. I think our prior feedback is good enough to carry it. And, we can respond to that when it happens.

Both the boys are adamant, so 2 against 1 will win out I think and culminate in an amended email being sent by one of them pursuant to their inspection of the pics.

I've spent hours amending our letter that goes with each dispatch and then even more with FAQ's to go with new listings, but it's just so lengthy and probably looks stupid. But, I'll put it up and just see. Something likes this certainly creates a reaction. It's hard when you take so much pride in every little thing that you do, but as someone said, I need to harden up too. I accept that.

Thanks for holding my hand.

Melina.

Glad you're amending the email and standing up to them.

To me, you probably don't need to put every fact into your listings. A general guide & description, along with several  photos, should be enough.

But when you send out a pipe, it would be useful then to include a sheet of clear instructions if you like.

Something where you also have your FAQ & answers, and a note to the effect that if they notice there are any problems with the pipe on delivery to of course let you know immediately but to note that the pipe is not covered against misuse.

Like the boys say, don't worry about the red dot. Some people give negative feedback even when they get a refund or a replacement anyway, & your guy somehow doesn't seem like the understanding type. Imagine how annoying it would be if you had sent a more expensive replacement & so were out the cost of 2 pipes yet still got a neg. You've dodged a bullet there. Whichever way it swings now, at least you can only lose the money for one.

Message 16 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

it would be useful then to include a sheet of clear instructions if you like.

Melina does that.

A sheet about pipes with care instructions and about clubesquire.

I purchased a pipe from her and details included are very thorough.

Melina, glad you are standing ground. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 17 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

@kopenhagen5wrote:

it would be useful then to include a sheet of clear instructions if you like.

Melina does that.

A sheet about pipes with care instructions and about clubesquire.

I purchased a pipe from her and details included are very thorough.

Melina, glad you are standing ground. Smiley Happy

That's good to hear. All the more reason why the buyer should not be offered a refund or replacement, if they didn't follow clear care instructions.

Message 18 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

A question please?

I always thought, in settings, you could prevent someone with less than say 10 FB from bidding, but all I'm seeing is -1, -4, etc. I'm not sure how to interpret that.

Im hoping I don't have to physically cancel a bid.

thanks.

Melina.

Message 19 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

You cannot block them if they are phone verified.   Phone verification overrides low feedback.

Message 20 of 42
Latest reply