Changing paypal email address

I will soon be changing Internet Service Provider and in the process will be changing my email address. I have concerns as to how this will affect payments for sales which are paid by paypal.

Has anyone done this and how did you manage the transition?

I am trying to set up a GMail account - but can't get the thing to work properly. Once I have and get it sorted I will need to start the process. I have an unpaid straggler who says he is waitng to buy more items and combine postage!!  Can I update the paypal information on an item that is already sold but not paid for?

Any help would be most welcome.

TIA

Wendy

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Changing paypal email address

Thanks Lyndal

I did send them an email this morning. I may have to bite the bullet and phone them.

I am still very cautious about any payments going to my old email address as that will not exist anymore Will be null and void. The new email address won't be an extra BUT a replacement.

I rememeber years ago paying a lady for an item to paypal. It was an old paypal address/ email that she no longer had. The payment sat unclaimed and she could not retrieve the payment as she no longer had that email address. It was her fault as she never updated her details so she sent me the goods and as far as I know she is still trying to get her payment from paypal. I don't want to end up with that scenario.

Sorry if I sound dumb but I just don't understand that is an email address is no longer used or valid how I can log onto paypal anymore with it to claim money owing to me?? I though maybe I was being dumb but hubby can't see it happening either. MY ISP have told me as soon as I change from them to Telstra but old email address will not exist anymore and I can't use it.

I understand initially I can still use the old and the new Gmail account while I am still with current ISP but once I change providers I fail to see that it will work.

Cheers

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

Hi Thanks again Still nervous Nellie about it all. Never having done this - as per my reply below I will be trying to access and log in to an email address that no longer exists and it seems odd that I will be able to?
Cheers
Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

Please Wendy, just believe me and PJ......you will receive any money that is sent to your old email address AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT REMOVE IT FROM YOUR STORED EMAIL ADDRESSES IN PAYPAL.   This is most important.  Once removed, it cannot be put back as it cannot be verified.

You cannot log onto paypal with the old address....that is why PJ told you to attach the NEW EMAIL address and make it your PRIMARY email....but leave the old address.

The seller you mentioned had obviously removed her old email address from paypal so could not receive your money.  In that scenario she could have rung paypal and they would have sorted it out for her.

There really is no need to ring paypal at present.  Just leave the old email address in paypal and you will receive your money in paypal but not the associated email notifications.

I have had a paypal account since long before it was called paypal and acquired by ebay....long before I had an ebay account.  There have been a few changes of email addresses in that time but never have I lost any money as I have not removed any old email addresses.

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

@wendy9456 wrote:
Hi Thanks again Still nervous Nellie about it all. Never having done this - as per my reply below I will be trying to access and log in to an email address that no longer exists and it seems odd that I will be able to?
Cheers

Please Wendy, try to understand that you will not be logging into your paypal account with the old address if you make the new email address your PRIMARY one.   You will not be able to log into your old email account either which is why we have told you that you will not receive the paypal notifications that you have received funds.  You will need to log into your paypal account with the NEW addy to see that there are funds there from the old email address.

Please believe these two old timers.....it will be OK.

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

Ok Thanks for your patience and explinations. makes sense. 

Hopefully will be ready to change over in the next week and by the sounds all should go smoothly

Thanks again everyone

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

You are most welcome Wendy. 
If you have any problems come back here and someone will be around to help you through it.

You can set your g-mail account up any time and start using it....make sure you have as much overlap time as possible.

I set up a yahoo email address for another ebay account and it was all up and running wthin 10 minutes.

If you do run into a problemand want to ring paypal you will find that they are super easy to talk to and very helpful.

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

Many thanks Lyndal
Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

@wendy9456 wrote:

I am still very cautious about any payments going to my old email address as that will not exist anymore Will be null and void. The new email address won't be an extra BUT a replacement.

when you log into your PayPal account you are not logging in to your email account as well.  The PayPal account just uses the email address as your PayPal account ID.  If the email address no longer exists then that has no bearing on your PayPal account except that you will not be able to access the email payment advices through email.  You will still be able to access the payment details IN PayPal so you will know the correct address to post items to, BUT, do as lyndal and PJ have recommended and add the new gmail address and make it primary.

One way of confirming this before you change your current internet provider is to have a different password for your email address and your PayPal account even though it uses the same email address.  You couldn't possibly be logging in to your email if the password is incorrect, could you, but you would still get into your PayPal.

While on the subject of passwords, it is advisable to have a different password for your email address and your PayPal account.  The reason is a simple one, if one gets compromised the other remains secure.

Many online companies use email addresses as member IDs as email addresses are unique, it gives them an easy way of communicating with their members (i.e. just send an email to the same address as the member ID), and it is something that people remember better than a string of numbers as an ID.

When I buy tickets to the AFL football I log in to ticketmaster or ticketek using my email address as my account ID.  The password I use for the ticketmaster and ticketek login is not the same as my email password as I am not logging into my email, I am logging into other online sites.

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

Hello...

The email address I had on eBay was different to my Paypal one...and someone had paid me and I hadn't recieved the money...I've been reading this thread but now I am wondering - what happens now that I have added my eBay email address to my Paypal account but it was after the lady had paid me? 

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

Did you remove the old email address when you added the new one?

If you did then the money is probably sitting in limbo.

Add the old email address back onto the account and see if the money appears.

You will not get any paypal notifications but you already know to expect the payment.

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply