Complaint about coffee table

hi Ebay community,

I recently sold a glass coffee table and the buyer came and picked it up it was a lady and her husband they both looked at the table and gave me the money for the table and left. I recieved an email the next day saying there was a small chip in the bottom of the table and the buyer requested a refund on half of the table and for me to put in into her account or a return. I emailed back and advised my listing stated no refunds and i also believe there were no chips when i sold it. i asked her if it were possible they chipped it in the move they had a van i dont know how they secured the glass table in the van. Any advise on what i should do as i dont feel i should refund the money when i dont think the table was chipped? 

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

It is buyer beware for pick up items - I would not refund.   They were supposed to inspect the item  before paying.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

You don't have to refund anything, not if they looked at it prior to pick up etc

If they put in a complaint to ebay or not as described, i would ring ebay and talk to someone,e xplain it was picked up and they were happy with it then.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

No protection with cash on pick up for both parties.

A small chip, and at the bottom of the table, could have been there, could have happened during transit, they could be trying one on.

And a demanding buyer by the sounds of it.

Inspect before paying has always been the rule with anything second hand. BL, no refund.

image host
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Thank you
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Definitely buyer beware when cash on pickup items.

Different story, however, if they paid using PayPal then came to pick up. Avoid doing this if you can.

But you cannot mandate it in your listing, you do have to offer PayPal as a payment option.

I don't believe they will be able to open any case against you but if they do happen to then you had better get on the phone to ebay and explain that the buyer paid cash on pickup and they inspected the item at the time and were happy with it.

There should be no way they can force any refund on this one is my understanding.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

like Michael Caton said in the movie" the castle," tell em their dreamin...Man Very Happy

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply