Contacting eBay

eBay has lost the plot. I recently listed a motorbike on eBay. They charged me $8 for this privilage. The winning bid was $102. eBay then charged me another $66. The best bit though is the fact that the winning bidder came and picked up the bike but I didn't get paid for it. I assumed that Paypal would automatically credit my account. I was wrong. Cant get in thouch with anyone, help articles are absolutely no help. Bottom line........eBay has become an inefficient money grabbing scam. No more..............

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Contacting eBay

Why would PayPal automatically credit your account?

Paypal has not been a thing for sellers in well over three years

If you did not sign up to Managed Payments and be verified to sell, that is on you alone

Even *if* you did do that, your funds would be held for 30 days since you are considered a new seller

If you did not, you will not be paid 

eBay help is at the top of every page

But you will be told the same thing

There are no special exclusions etc, all sellers have to sign up and be verified prior to selling

You agreed to the terms you were shown on listing 

Bottom line, good idea not to use a site if you don't understand how it works 

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Contacting eBay

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I think I know who's lost the plot.

The fees were shown upfront when you listed.

Insertion and final value fees

Motors fees vary by listing format, as follows:

Listing format

Insertion fee (incl. GST)

Final value fee (incl. GST)

Auction or fixed price

$8.80

$66.00

Fees for selling a vehicle on eBay Motors | eBay

Why then would you start an auction at $10?  

If you only got one bid at $10 you'd be out of pocket.

Also your listing stated cash on pick up.

You should have your money in hand after handing over the bike.

Do you have notice that he actually paid?

And....read here because you have another listing  -

Registering as a seller | eBay

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Contacting eBay

sadly I don't think it is ebay that has lost the plot.

If an item is clearly listed for pickup only and with payment by cash on pick up, it is hardly ebay's fault that you didn't make sure you had the money before handing over the motorbike.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Contacting eBay

OOooooohhhh........

Did I get confused ?

So wait.....was PayPal suppose to somehow get the money and then pay the OP?

Is that what the opening 'comment' was about?

Or did I totally miss the 'point'  again?

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Contacting eBay

I think they paid by PayPal to M.P.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Contacting eBay

Or......they said they did

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Contacting eBay

@hissennissan wrote:

eBay has lost the plot. I recently listed a motorbike on eBay. They charged me $8 for this privilage. The winning bid was $102. eBay then charged me another $66. The best bit though is the fact that the winning bidder came and picked up the bike but I didn't get paid for it. I assumed that Paypal would automatically credit my account. I was wrong. Cant get in thouch with anyone, help articles are absolutely no help. Bottom line........eBay has become an inefficient money grabbing scam. No more..............

Before you list anything on ebay, anything at all, it pays to look up the commission fees.

Imastawka showed what the fee schedule is for that category. The first sentence in the link tells you that the fees in that category are different to those in other categories.

You should have known you'd be up for $8.80 plus $66.

That category is really not (in my opinion) aimed at items that are only going to sell for $100 or so. It is aimed at vehicles that are probably going to sell in the thousands.

As soon as you saw those fees, you should have considered a different listing method. Maybe Marketplace on facebook. I think that would have been a lot better for you.

It's too late now. Put it down to experience.

But there is still possibly a little bit of cash for you to pick up. I am assuming the buyer paid via paypal or told you they did? You never checked? 

Second rule: Never hand over anything till you have the money or 100%  know where the money is.

With ebay now, if you sell anything, you will need to sign up for managed payments. If you haven't done that yet, do it today. For occasional sellers, ebay has a hold on any sales funds for 30 days but after that, you will be able to access it.

If you don't sign up for managed payments, there is no way for you to get that money, it stays in limbo.

I am presuming the buyer did pay via paypal as it would be awfully cheeky to actually turn up to someone's house and collect a bike without paying at all so hopefully once you do sign up for managed payments, there will be a little bit of money in there waiting for you. Not a lot but better in your pocket (eventually) than leaving it with ebay.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Contacting eBay

Sometimes it helps to know what you are doing.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Contacting eBay

Why blame Ebay,  their fee's are listed upfront,  you are the one that didnt do your homework to determine what price to ask to cover your fee's.

As for getting the couple of dollars that are left, 

• well it's either tied up in managed payments on a 30 day hold (assuming you signed up correctly) as you are considered a new seller it will be a 30 day hold anyhow..
  •  
  • Or you should have gotten the cash before handing over the product
  •  
  • Or well you have just given someone a nice xmas present.

But don't blame Ebay

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply